Why the Police dogs at Disneyland tues or wed this week?

mjlum

Mouseketeer
just occurred to me there were police dogs and officers around the entrance this week. It was just for one day. Is police presence the norm at Disneyland or was something going on? My daughter is nervous around big dogs otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed anything. A couple of police dogs and 4-5 police officers before we got to security check. Just curious.

Many, many times I have seen Police officers w/dogs at the entrance to the parks, as well as in the parks. See them quite often in Downtown Disney. :cool1:

They seem to always be there when we go. Not everyday, but we see them out in DtD and by security at least one or twice in our stay.

just occurred to me there were police dogs and officers around the entrance this week. It was just for one day. Is police presence the norm at Disneyland or was something going on? My daughter is nervous around big dogs otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed anything. A couple of police dogs and 4-5 police officers before we got to security check. Just curious.
They are almost always at the M&F security screening area.

Explosive detction dogs. They are all around all the time. Both Disney and Anaheim PD have dog teams.

I have a buddy who is a cop and like many officers carry even while off duty. We arrived at the hotel and he took his firearm off and locked it in the hotel safe then headed to the park. While walking to the park, dog pinged him by just walking by. It was really impressive to see them in action and what they are capable of.

Last edited:

I've also seen them many times. They (the dogs) aren't there every day, all of the time, but I usually see them at least once per trip year around. We see security, both DL and Anaheim PD, daily on our trip at the entrances/security check points.

If there was any "real issue," no one here would know about it. Security issues are on a need-to-know basis, and the general guest doesn't need to know.

They are often there.

I strongly urge you start working with your daughter about being around dogs. My son got phobic from age 3 to 5 when my work paid off; he’d been fine until he saw my dad’s untrained golden retriever mouth my arm as though to bite it. I was fine, I was raised by/with malamutes, and I could see my son at the kitchen window watching so I played it even cooler than I felt, but it flipped a switch in him.

Life got a lot easier for us once he finally trusted dogs again. And part of the help I gave him was HOW to deal with dogs (and their owners, like my father, who let a dog who wants to be trained get to feral that she would try to bite a family member) and how tobe around them.

And how to appreciate a working dog.

Highly recommend it! Life gets better without that big fear.

We usually see them once a day when we are at the parks, most often at the security screenings and around stroller parking areas in the parks.

We see them all the time. They often will sniff our stroller. I always take the time to talk to my son about working dogs. It’s so impressive!

And part of the help I gave him was HOW to deal with dogs (and their owners, like my father, who let a dog who wants to be trained get to feral that she would try to bite a family member) and how to be around them

Thread drift...but this goes both ways as well. Not only working with kids who have fears but kids who have zero fears. I cringe when I see a small child run up and grab an unfamiliar dog by the ears and face like a stuffed animal. While their own dog may tolerate it, MANY will not and I have see dogs react negatively and even aggressively towards the kid. Respect and how to approach animals is a critical life lesson IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter