Why the HUGE discrepancy on Spirit of Aloha reviews??

TeresaNJ

Magic Begins With Me
I'm trying to decide if I want to see the Spirit of Aloha dinner show at the Poly during our May trip. We haven't gone for years, my husband has never seen it, and my daughter (20 yo) who hasn't seen it since she was about 10 yo wants to go. It would be for four of us and with the AP discount still about $200 with tax and tip. I don't mind putting out the money if it is worth it, but the reviews I've read are all over the place, from loving it to hating it. As I remember, the show was entertaining, the food okay, but now I'm reading about how crowded it is, how rude the waitstaff is, etc. That I will not put up with. I can deal with mediocre food if the show is good, but nasty/rude waitstaff?? Uh uh! So what do you think? Do you think the over the top bad reviews are just that? People with too high expectations, or do you think they are fairly accurate?

I think people's expectations are skyhigh. They also think if every CM isn't walking around with a smile pasted on from ear to ear and whistling 'zip-a-dee-doo-dah' their entire trip is ruined because of these 'nasty' CMs. :rolleyes:

Go to the Spirit of Aloha it's a great time. :sunny:

Hi Teresa,

You'll find that with any subjective thread. Most of the restaurant threads here have opinions ranging from great to awful. Same goes for the resorts, airlines, car rental companies, etc.

I think the main reason is that people are more inclined to give an opinion if they feel a place is very good or very bad, as opposed to average.

But if you search through any of the gazillions of threads asking for restaurant opinions, you'll generally find lots of positives and lots of negatives in each thread, with very few opinions in the middle.

I never contribute to opinion threads except to say that if the menu appeals to you, gie it a try...never mind what anyone else says!

Bob

Thanks guys, that is good advice. My expectations are never very high, and the show will bring back alot of great memories of my uncle, who loved Disney, loved the Polynesian resort and loved the luau. So, in honor of him, we are going!

I went in December for the first time for an office party and the food was way better than I expected. I wasn't too keen on the show, but then again I didn't have my 5 year old with me and was geared towards families. The kids that were there though seemed to love it. I know I've ranted and raved about judging servers on here---but I will tell ya one thing...wouldn't keep me away from the show, but our guy was horrible. We had other servers hunting him down just to refill drinks and bring us food and when he asked for my drink order he literally poked me in the back of my head with his pen as asked "hey..what do you WANT"? :confused3 oh well..they can't all be good...lets just say his tip reflected the service---non existant! But overall---I though it was cute for the kids and decent food!

That's exactly the reason you should go and experience the show for yourself. As you know from reading this forum, some people love the show, some don't care for it... but none of those opinions have any bearing on whether or not you and your family will enjoy it. So if it sounds like something you'd like to try, go for it!

Have a great trip!

I cant understand either. Now one reason we liked it was the food was good. We have never seen a luau before and loved it. Loved the friendliness, loved the service the alcohol kept coming all evening! Now the food was tasty not bland. Our family loved strongly flavored and spiced and seasoned foods not bland plain meat and potatoes. The salad with mango dressing was delicious, the chicken was fresh and tasty. Definately worth the money IMHO. My husband enjoyed his meal here more than at Narcoosees. My husband is not keen on any Disney food as he likes spicy and chinese food. I cant even try Hoop de Doo as I dont think it can live up to spirit of Aloha. I would give it 9/10 as the desert was a little soggy.

oooo...now that salad---let me tell ya, I crave it. I think I was so cross at our server because the alchohol WASN'T coming---grrrr.. ;)

LOVE the salad and the bread.

Hubby wants to do it again this year so I just made our ADR's today for it. We enjoy the luau.

I notice it seems to be one of those either you like it or you don't. So go and make your own decision because you never know until you do. Lots of people here love Boma. Me, not a fan.

For EVERY restaurant/resort you will find people who love it and hate it. Ignore 90% of what people say. If you want to do the show, then do it! You are the best reviewer for your tastes.

TeresaNJ said:
Thanks guys, that is good advice. My expectations are never very high, and the show will bring back alot of great memories of my uncle, who loved Disney, loved the Polynesian resort and loved the luau. So, in honor of him, we are going!

With such a great attitude, how could you not enjoy it? :thumbsup2 Have a great time!

The kids were bored, the show was too long everyone was getting restless. The food was good though, as was the dancing (handsome guys!) but the story line (with the island girl returning from the mainland) was pretty lame.

it was not a humerous show like hoop dee doo.

You really do find a great difference of opinion on almost all of the restaraunts at WDW. Personally, I feel the food was much better than the previous show. We loved the chicken, salad, grilled veggies & bread! The new story line wasn't so hot, but the dancing & costumes were still wonderful. We missed the fruity drinks they used to have (Aloooooha!!)-they now serve wine instead. Go & have a great time!

I was just about to do a quick search on the Luau, when I found this thread!

Thanks guys for all your comments - I know I personally won't eat much (really fussy kinda gal :rolleyes: ) but my mum has always really wanted to go to a Luau! :thumbsup2

I'm booking this one tonight for our group of 5 for October! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter