Why so packed the week after Easter?

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
Most crowd predictions have the week after Easter as being 9's. Since Spring break is over I was surprised to see this. Maybe not so surprised for the day afterwards, but the full week is looking very busy.

We are there on Monday through Friday, so we've just prepared ourselves for crowds, but just wondered why.

I am thinking it is because some schools have the week after Easter as their spring break and the ones that don't, like my children's, may have Monday after Easter as a day off from school as a 'travel day' and this may encourage some families to extend their DLR trip through part or all of this week.

Several schools have Spring Break the week before Easter or right after Easter. This is why you are seeing the higher crowds.

Oh, well, it is what it is and nothing we can do about it! We will be at DLR so we will just do what we can! But surely in 4 1/2 days we can do almost everything at least once.

Maybe they will adjust the park hours for that week as well. The week BEFORE easter has opening times at 8 and some closings at midnight. The one day they have posted so far for the next week, which is the Monday, has park opening at 10:00

Looks like they are cutting back on the hours and likely, the entertainment as well that week. I am surprised considering it is Spring Break for some.

Most crowd predictions have the week after Easter as being 9's. Since Spring break is over I was surprised to see this. Maybe not so surprised for the day afterwards, but the full week is looking very busy.

We are there on Monday through Friday, so we've just prepared ourselves for crowds, but just wondered why.

What are "most crowd predictions"? The only one of which I am aware is Touring Plans and their crowd predictions are beyond inaccurate for DLR. Inaccurate means they get the daily ratings wrong. They don't even follow their own published methodology. So their numbers are no better than just random numbers.

See "Why I Am Skeptical of the Touring Plans Website DLR Crowd Calendar" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3196851

Bottom line is I would not worry about it for a second. They are wrong or at best randomly correct.

:wizard:

We will be in Disneyland from 4/21-24. My DS7 is on his school spring break and we live in Alberta, Canada. Normally I would avoid going during a Spring Break week but decided this year to brave the crowds. We are doing a split trip between Disneyland and San Francisco. So needless to say I am going into this trip expecting it to be very busy.

What are "most crowd predictions"? The only one of which I am aware is Touring Plans and their crowd predictions are beyond inaccurate for DLR. Inaccurate means they get the daily ratings wrong. They don't even follow their own published methodology. So their numbers are no better than just random numbers.

See "Why I Am Skeptical of the Touring Plans Website DLR Crowd Calendar" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3196851

Bottom line is I would not worry about it for a second. They are wrong or at best randomly correct.

:wizard:

I know of 2 crowd predictors for DLR; Touringplans and isitpacked.com. I lost faith in Touringplans in October 2012 when the crowds were easily twice as bad as they predicted. Going in early May when isitpacked predicts the crowds to be fairly low....will have to see if they live up to it.

Looks like they are cutting back on the hours and likely, the entertainment as well that week. I am surprised considering it is Spring Break for some.

The best crowd predictor is park hours.

If, once released, Disneyland is having the parks open from 8AM till Midnight that entire week, then I'd expect it to be plenty busy. They are more aware of the crowds within their parks than any 3rd party site.

I know of 2 crowd predictors for DLR; Touringplans and isitpacked.com. I lost faith in Touringplans in October 2012 when the crowds were easily twice as bad as they predicted. Going in early May when isitpacked predicts the crowds to be fairly low....will have to see if they live up to it.

Thsoe are the two I remember looking at.

All the school districts in our area of NorCal have spring break the week AFTER Easter. (We are off Good Friday, then the week after.) It is always extremely busy that week at Disneyland.

If, once released, Disneyland is having the parks open from 8AM till Midnight that entire week, then I'd expect it to be plenty busy. They are more aware of the crowds within their parks than any 3rd party site.

I don't agree that the best crowd predictor are the hours. There are plenty of weeks, where the hours are less and the guests are piling into the parks.

I don't agree that the best crowd predictor are the hours. There are plenty of weeks, where the hours are less and the guests are piling into the parks.

I am not suggesting short park hours = empty, but rather that long park hours normally means crowds. Are there ever days, when it's not raining, that the park opens from 8AM till Midnight and the park is not crowded?

They have the Monday starting off the week with 10-9 at DL, which would indicate it will not be busy, but trusting Disney here sounds like it would be a mistake. We went during President's week and it was plenty busy with park hours of 9-9 during the week. CM's were saying they were not expecting the crowds to be so heavy. With so many reporting about schools being out the week after Easter, coupled with less than optimal park hours, expect the parks to be crowded the entire week.

We will be at DLR March 31-Apr 2. Hours are 8-12. Last summer we were there in the third week of August with 8-11 hours and the crowds were ok-busy but not cramped. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that with Easter, and some accompanying spring breaks so late this year it will spread the crowds out.

What you posted here indicates you believe that long park hours mean chances for crowds and shorter hours mean the crowds will not be bad.
You clearly state in your post that the calendar hours are the best crowd indicator, and I disagree. You proved my point by stating that there may be a day with long hours and low crowds due to rain, etc.
I guess what you may be missing is that short hours can also mean heavy crowds (e.g. The week of President's Day, The first three weeks of October).
A decent crowd predictor for DLR does not exist.

What you posted here indicates you believe that long park hours mean chances for crowds and shorter hours mean the crowds will not be bad. You clearly state in your post that the calendar hours are the best crowd indicator, and I disagree. You proved my point by stating that there may be a day with long hours and low crowds due to rain, etc. I guess what you may be missing is that short hours can also mean heavy crowds (e.g. The week of President's Day, The first three weeks of October). A decent crowd predictor for DLR does not exist.

Was not trying to start a war, you can win if you want. We all have our own opinions though.

Sorry to tell you that California schools and colleges have spring break any week between between early March and mid April! Mine begins march 28 for two weeks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter