Why Shouldn't I Choose Candy Cane Inn?

I think the only difference with a package is you get into Toontown Morning Madness an hour before the general public and you get Character Calls to your room.

Other than this staying in a good nieghbor hotel will often result in paying a higher amount.

Good Neighbor is mostly a marketing partnership, it does not have anything to do with hotel quality or distance from the parks.

I loved the candy cane Inn BUT have you already booked your room? They fill up in the summer time QUICK Last year in March I tried to book a room for August and they were full ALL of June, July and August.

We are taking our first family trip to DL. We have been to WDW many times and always stay on property. Unfortunately, on property at DL is too expensive unless a great deal comes out, so I have been researching other locations. Usually, I would choose a Sheraton or Marriott based hotel, but they don't seem to be very close to the park.

I see a lot of good things said about the Candy Cane Inn, but I would love to hear from anyone that wouldn't recommend it and why? Also, if you wouldn't recommend it, where would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance! I love all of the information that I can get on this board!

Edited to add- We are a family of 4- kids are 6 and 8. On Disney property, we have stayed in the Value resorts, as well as Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club. Our trip is in August for 4 nights. We arrive on a Thursday around noon from NY and leave early Monday morning for Hawaii. We have 3 full park days. We may try to take in a baseball game, but not yet sure if it will work out- otherwise, we are only doing Disney. I don't think we will be going back to Disneyland anytime soon, but we do have to stick to some kind of budget since we are also going to Hawaii on this trip.

I dont think there is really any big reason not to stay there. I agree with some other posters that have said the one drawback is their standard rooms can be a bit snug. On the other hand, there is not any big reason TO stay there. Most of the motel/hotels within walking distance get pretty good reviews. If there is a property that looks good to you, and you get a good price, then you should be happy.

As far as packages at DL, they don't have the same benefits as booking a package at DW. Be sure to price hotel and tickets separately. You can almost always save quite a bit of money for exactly the same thing. Except for Toontown morning madness, which is not worth extra $$$'s in my opinion.

I for one feel that CCI is a little over-rated... Yes it is a very nice hotel, it certainly has some of the best grounds but the standard rooms are very small, almost a single room with two beds squeezed in, the "premier" rooms are simply a normal sized room elsewhere. This is a motel style with rooms opening to external. For me there are better priced, closer alternatives... HoJos at the Entertainment rate is a much better deal and about the same distance or Park Vue includes a hot breakfast and an evening snack and is as close as you can get to DL...

:thumbsup2
This! We finally stayed at CCI last year, and were very underwhelmed. I just think you can find a better hotel for the price. The "free breakfast" is a standard contenental breakfast- Danishes and donuts. And yeah, the rooms were tiny! We never took the Shuttle, since we could walk it before the bus came back around. (and stop at 7-11 for Slurpees on the way)
We have stayed at all of the Value resorts (All Star Music, Movie and Sports, POP Century) and we have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club. We have not stayed in any moderates at Disney. I am very happy with Disney quality at their Value resorts, but wasn't sure how the Disney Value resorts would compare to the Good Neighbor Hotels- Is Candy Cane Inn similar to the Value resorts, better, worse? I know that they are not as nice as the deluxe. I have been to WDW at least 20 times and have stayed in a variety of locations, so I understand the structure- just trying to get a comparison since I am not familiar with any of the DL hotels and they don't have the Disney name.
As far as the "good neighbor" hotels compared to the Value resorts, I don't think their is a comparison. The Good neighbor hotels really have nothing at all to do with Disney, are not themed. They are just standard hotels and motels. Disney has deemed these properties good enough to do business with and the hotels are allowed to sell tickets. i do kind of lean on Disney's endorsement when selecting a hotel.
i would second Park Vue Inn, I have stayed there several times and have loved it. You could even get a bunkbed room so your kiddos don't have to share!

I think if you would like a nice hotel at lower prices and are used to the bus system at WDW, you might want to give the Anaheim Sheraton a try. It has a very reliable dedicated shuttle to the park, so it would be similar to what you are used to at WDW...actually better, as the bus is on a schedule and is never late. The rooms are large and comfortable and there is a lovely pool area.

:thumbsup2
This! We finally stayed at CCI last year, and were very underwhelmed. I just think you can find a better hotel for the price. The "free breakfast" is a standard contenental breakfast- Danishes and donuts. And yeah, the rooms were tiny! We never took the Shuttle, since we could walk it before the bus came back around. (and stop at 7-11 for Slurpees on the way)

It never ceases to amaze me the incredible one-eyedness some people show to a hotel.... We have enjoyed all three hotels we have stayed at and tried to rebook them each time but other hotels seemed to have a better deal each time and ultimately we have saved $1000's over the three trips (we tend to stay a fortnight each trip)...

On one of our trips, friends stayed at CCI (due to Trip Advisor) whilst we were at the Carousel, they paid a lot more for a smaller room and longer walk and were very disappointed. Its not that CCI is a bad hotel, far from it, just that there is usually better value hotels that are closer...

wow people are saying the rooms are tiny? well, honestly I didn't find them tiny we are normally a family of 3 (2 adults and a five year old) but about three years ago or so there were 5 of us in a standard room, 2 adults and 3 kids (newphew 8, niece 10, and my son wasn't quite 2 yet) we had plenty of room and enough to set up my sons playpin for him to sleep in.

Last August we stayed at the Tropicana, the location was WONDERFUL (right across the street) but those rooms were tiny even for just the 3 of us, we were having trouble just to find space for our luggage. But honestly for the price and location I would go to Tropicana again, we were pretty much only there for sleeping at night and an afternoon nap.

I do like the Candy Cane Inn, though, we only stayed at the Tropicana because Candy Cane was booked (which I mentioned above so be careful) I found the staff nice and accomodating, the rooms were clean and spacious enough for me, I liked the breakfast and it saved us money in the end, yes its bagels and cereals but how many hotels even do that? Most hotels don't give you anything. Tropicana said they had breakfast (they don't).

So I say try Candy Cane Inn, I think you'll like it.

Oh yah when ever I taught in the Bay Area and traveled with my choir or band we stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, they dealt with all of the kids and were great to them, have us a great group discount and had everything ready and organized for us when we arrived.

wow people are saying the rooms are tiny? well, honestly I didn't find them tiny we are normally a family of 3 (2 adults and a five year old) but about three years ago or so there were 5 of us in a standard room, 2 adults and 3 kids (newphew 8, niece 10, and my son wasn't quite 2 yet) we had plenty of room and enough to set up my sons playpin for him to sleep in.

Last August we stayed at the Tropicana, the location was WONDERFUL (right across the street) but those rooms were tiny even for just the 3 of us, we were having trouble just to find space for our luggage.

You must have had a Premium room at CCI as the rooms at Tropicanna are way bigger than the standard rooms at CCI.The Premium rooms at CCI are bigger than Tropicanna but were smaller than a standard room at Carousel and WAY smaller than our room at Americas Best Value Inn on Katella (about 2 minutes walk from CCI and half the price)

We are taking our first family trip to DL. We have been to WDW many times and always stay on property....

Edited to add- We are a family of 4- kids are 6 and 8. On Disney property, we have stayed in the Value resorts, as well as Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club. Our trip is in August for 4 nights. We arrive on a Thursday around noon from NY and leave early Monday morning for Hawaii. We have 3 full park days. We may try to take in a baseball game, but not yet sure if it will work out- otherwise, we are only doing Disney. I don't think we will be going back to Disneyland anytime soon, but we do have to stick to some kind of budget since we are also going to Hawaii on this trip.

With a 6 & 8 y/o & staying for 4 days (in August), I would lean towards HOJOs or on site.

I love the CCI. For folks with todlers, folks with seniors or when it's cold, IMO it's a better choice than HOJOs. Free Bfast, dedicated shuttle....but a non descript pool.

But....with 3 full days in the park during August, you need to plan (imo) for a mid day break & I'm sure the HOJO pirate pool would be a nice diversion. (& i believe the rooms are a tiny bit larger). You've got Mimi's & McDs next door for breakfast, so not having free breakfast is a minor issue. Both properties are nice....but Hojo's might be a better fit (because of the more kid friendly feel & pool) & would be similar to a stay at the WDW values.

The Paradise Pier (on site) would be similar to a Contemporary Hotel stay....& would give you ONE more MM & it's also a little more convenient for the all important mid day break. If within $50-$60 per night of Hojo's I'd consider the PP....but if $100 or more per night more I wouldn't. (note the GCH & DLH are even more than the PP, so i'm guessing they're off your list.)

Another thing you could do is stay at HOJO (or CCI) for two nights & then move to the PP (or DLH or GCH..which is similar to the WL) for two nights? You'd get the extra MM & get the best of both worlds :)? I've done this with my 10 y/o, but it may be a pain with a family of 4.

Check out the prices for all, & post back here with the price differences between the CCI, Hojo's & the Paradise Pier for your 4 nights....I bet you'll get additional opinions now that we know your family makeup & your dates.

I'm sure you've come across HG's tip threads & Mary Jo's thread, if not let us know. A couple of things to note:

- The time zone difference will be your friend the first couple of days.....use it to be at the parks early & be productive...being early at DLR reaps far more rewards than at WDW.

- The castle is tiny....& it's supposed to be enjoyed from the HUB not Main Street....BUT Fantasyland is far more charming than WDW & has 5-6 DLR exclusive rides that are great for those that are 6 & 8 (& 46 & 48 ;)).

- Know how to use FP & how & when to Park Hop. :hippie:

Have a great time planning a visit to Walt's Park. :thumbsup2

:)

I used to always stay near the crosswalk at Harbor, from Hojo to CCI. They are all fine. Then we went to WDW and this showed me that shuttles were not the end of the world. Ever since, we use Priceline at DLR. Its been easy to score a 3.5* or 4* hotel for much cheaper than the crosswalk motels. Then you get indoor corridors, a nice lobby, pool, better places to eat and you dont have to walk down congested, noisy, smelly Harbor Blvd. I can never go back now. Last time we got Doubletree for $45 a night. It was a nice place with its own shuttle, less than 10 min ride.

Its on-property or Priceline for us!

We have Stayed at the CCI 3 times. Park vue twice and Hojo twice.. if the price was real close here is my 2 cents... we just got back from staying at CCI last week and the locks are the same as pictured, key punch. I have never had a problem with them like I have with the mag-strip ones but even then it was never a big deal. CCI free parking and free private shuttle is great but we only used the shuttle about half the time its close enough to walk unless it is there when we walk out of our room or we are tired returning from the park. I think the rooms are about the same in all three hotels, the Pool is so much better at Hojo and about the same between CCI and Park vue. The staff at Hojo and CCI are great. the Breakfast at CCI and Park vue we find about the same. Park Vue is by far the closest to walk from. pirate:

You must have had a Premium room at CCI as the rooms at Tropicanna are way bigger than the standard rooms at CCI.The Premium rooms at CCI are bigger than Tropicanna but were smaller than a standard room at Carousel and WAY smaller than our room at Americas Best Value Inn on Katella (about 2 minutes walk from CCI and half the price)

nope had a standard room every time

Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses. I looked up some prices quickly- without going crazy looking for the deals.

HoJos is $531.77 for 2 Queen superior room and $479.12 for 2 Queen deluxe room. They have a stay 3, save 25% deal that the prices are based on. How far is the walk to this hotel? I have read that it is out of the way, which worries me walking there at night.

Candy Cane Inn is $650.52 for 2 queen standard room, $697.32 for a 2 queen deluxe room and $837.72 for a premier 2 queen beds room.

Paradise Pier is $1160 for a standard view room

Sheraton Anaheim is $698.81 for 2 queen beds.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses. I looked up some prices quickly- without going crazy looking for the deals.

HoJos is $531.77 for 2 Queen superior room and $479.12 for 2 Queen deluxe room. They have a stay 3, save 25% deal that the prices are based on. How far is the walk to this hotel? I have read that it is out of the way, which worries me walking there at night.

Candy Cane Inn is $650.52 for 2 queen standard room, $697.32 for a 2 queen deluxe room and $837.72 for a premier 2 queen beds room.

HoJo's is about the same distance from the parks as CCI, just in the opposite direction. It takes my family less than 10 minutes to walk to the security tents from our room. We have never had a problem walking to and from the hotel at night, but the ART does service the hotel if you think it will be a problem for you.

Our favorite rooms are the Deluxe Queen rooms in Building 2. They have all the amenities of the premium rooms, without the view and we have found them quieter.

nope had a standard room every time

Fire regulation room capacity is a direct reflection on room size, at Tropicanna, Carousel and Hojos their smallest rooms are 5, at CCI standard rooms its only 4. Certainly from the room I saw there was nowhere you could even put a rollaway bed...

We are skipping CCI for the following reasons:

We're taking a stroller and prefer a walking distance hotel instead of dealing with a shuttle.

The price at CCI is higher than we can get booking a package through GAT or Costco- I've never seen CCI as a package option anywhere.

There are perfectly nice clean hotels closer. Some of the off site hotels are no farther from the gate than on site properties. We didn't manage the *perfect* close hotel but we're only a couple doors up.

CCI has a nicer breakast than most places we've stayed but as I'm an early riser I often do breakfast in the park, so it's not a huge selling point. We're not big pool people, so there's very little at CCI that is worth the price point to us.

Fire regulation room capacity is a direct reflection on room size, at Tropicanna, Carousel and Hojos their smallest rooms are 5, at CCI standard rooms its only 4. Certainly from the room I saw there was nowhere you could even put a rollaway bed...

Here is the square footage information I was able to find on the HoJo and CCI websites:

HoJo Anaheim:

2 Double Standard, 2 Queen Standard, Deluxe & Premium rooms
are all 356 sq feet

CCI:

Standard Room
•Two Queen Beds
•264 sq. feet, max occupancy of 4 (fire code)

Deluxe Room
•Two Queen Beds
•308 sq. feet, max occupancy of 5 (fire code) *

Premium Room
•Two Queen Beds
•350 sq. feet, max occupancy of 5 (fire code) ** Rollaways: additional $10.00 plus tax and tourism fee per night (subject to availability)

To the OP....I had recommended Hojo's slightly over CCI because of your family make up & it being summer (assuming staying on site is cost prohibitive).

But wanted to comment on the below comments regarding CCI:

We are skipping CCI for the following reasons:

We're taking a stroller and prefer a walking distance hotel instead of dealing with a shuttle.

But the CCI is walking distance. Same distance as Hojo's & the DLH. The dedicated shuttle is just an added bonus....especially for the mid day rest type person. Not sure how the stroller complicates things if you wanted to ride the shuttle one way....maybe someone else can comment.

The price at CCI is higher than we can get booking a package through GAT or Costco- I've never seen CCI as a package option anywhere.

There are perfectly nice clean hotels closer. Some of the off site hotels are no farther from the gate than on site properties. We didn't manage the *perfect* close hotel but we're only a couple doors up.

CCI has a nicer breakast than most places we've stayed but as I'm an early riser I often do breakfast in the park, so it's not a huge selling point. We're not big pool people,

The pool wouldn't be a reason one should pick CCI (imo). It's nice but non-descript. Good for adults or adults with todlers. But If mega kiddo pool time is important....or if one is looking for a WDW type pool environment, then on site or HOJOs would be a better pick.

so there's very little at CCI that is worth the price point to us.

Given your family make up & the above data, I'd DEFINITELY go with HOJOs. (if Hojos was the same price as CCI I'd still go with HOJOs.)

If PP was $100 - $150 more for the stay, I'd go with PP....but probably no more than that.

Sheraton is not walking distance so i wouldn't do it.

(note - most Dis'ers (including me) would normally stay at Marriot/Hilton/Sheraton type places (or their cousins like Hamptons etc.) elsewhere.....but at DLR we'd prefer to be walking distance....thus the preference for the Hojos, CCI, BW, PV, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter