Why should I choose DLH instead of GC?

stagemomx3

DIS Veteran
On our last trip to Disneyland Oct. 2006, we stayed at the Grand Californian and loved it. Overlooking DTD and the entrance into DCA were wonderful. The children also enjoyed the pool alot. The monorail wasn't running then, but I know it is now. Would we enjoy DLH as much since it doesn't have it's own entrance to the parks, but it does have the monorail? Other than the obvious price difference why would you choose DLH over GC?

Personally, I wouldn't. I wasn't impressed with DLH the last time we were there, except for the pool, which we loved (but GCH's pool is just as good).

The monorail really only gets you to DL. The walk through DTD or through the park to DCA isn't really long, but the GCH is a lot more centrally located to both parks. Plus the lobby is great for hanging out, there's Whitewater Snacks (much better than the snack place at DLH), and Storyteller's.

Unless you're really wanting to save money, I think I'd pick the GCH.

We've stay at both and will stick w/ GCH from now on. You can't beat having the entrace to DCA right there, makes it so much easier on the little one's after a long day at the parks to be so close to the room.

I havn't had the chance to stay at either... but i wouldn't make the monorail that big of a factor, as the station is actually in DTD now... so you still have a bit of a walk! Other then not i'm not sure as i havn't stayed at either...but if moneys not a problem i hear the gc is the best!

I guess I'm a bit of a Disney purist, and I love the Disneyland Hotel simply for its place in Disney history and its importance to the DL park. I always request to stay in the original Disneyland Hotel tower. Whenever I stay there, I feel completely immersed in Disney magic--not so much at the newer GCH or PP. We love the Neverland themed pool! Peter Pan is king at our house so this is always a fun treat for our entire family. Also, the monorail is a big bonus when staying at the DL hotel. It's just a hop,skip,and a jump from the entrance and such a fun way to begin and end your day.

I think the DLH is more "magical" if you have kids - the room decor, etc. is just a little more geared towards kids. The rooms are bigger than the rooms at the GC, too. And I think the pool area at the DLH is a lot more interesting than the one at the GC. In addition there are other things, like the remote control Jungle Cruise boats, the koi ponds, the waterfalls, and the large arcade which will appeal to kids. Personally I think you get more value for your money at the DLH...but there's no question that the GC is the nicer hotel in terms of the amenities and luxury touches.

I'm not a big fan of the DLH, but I will say that the room size is generous, especially when compared to GCH.

I vote, as always, for the GC..location and beautiful. Not as Disneyesque at DLH to be sure, but for me the other things make up for it.

I was kinda hoping to be convinced to stay at DLH, but as that is not the case, we'll stick with GC.

I have stayed at both and for my family we much prefer the DLH. We stay on points most of the time so price is not much of an issue since we generally go with a view room at the DLH and end up using more points than the standard room we got (and would get again at the GCH). To me the location of GCH is great but only for DCA. Its wonderful if you just rode GRR and are soaking wet and want to change quickly! But I timed it last summer and from our room at the DLH to the DTD entrance of GCH (right by Club Libby Lu), it only took me four minutes to get from my room to that entrance. To me that is not that big of a deal. And I might add that once I got into the GCH through that entrance, I had a long maze of lobbies and hallways to navigate to get to my room. And it was pretty much the same when I entered through the DCA entrance. Yes, you definitely get to the hotel itself quicker. But its a large facility so you might end up walking a bit once you get inside before you ever see the inside of your room. All that said, its a magnficient hotel with a lobby that is worth a look whether you stay there or not. The service and amenities are deluxe level and in some ways even more so than some of the WDW Deluxe's.

In the end it just comes to preference. I like the light, bright, large, Disney rooms at the DLH. I love their pool area. I enjoy being over near Its A Small World during Remember, then taking a short walk over to the monorail and then whizzing to the DTD stop near my room after a long day. That is very convenient and beats the long walk thorugh Disneyland and then over to the GCH. But thats just one scenario that may not apply to other people! I like the dining options at the DLH, we have eaten at all the restaurants and enjoyed them all. I love the grounds, the remote control jungle cruise boats and have never had anything but a lovely, spotlessly clean room and the cm's have always been wonderful. But I do have to agree that the turndown service, nicer linens and toiletries and the balconies of the GCH rooms are all very appealing and the GCH also has great dinig options that we enjoyed.

In the end, I don't think anyone can make a wrong choice, they are both lovely hotels with lots of magical touches.

I have stayed at both, and much preferred the DLH over the GCH. I think a HUGE factor in my preference was room location. At the GCH we had a courtyard/monorail view. The room was tiny and the service was shotty and CMs were snooty. At the DLH we were upgraded to a Disney View room in the Dreams Tower and the room was huge and the service was incredible.

Will I ever stay at either again? Probably not. Not while I can get a comparable room, and better service for $59 a night at the HoJo. ;)

I haven't stayed at DLH.

I Luuuuuuuuuuuv GCH. But, alas, we just decided that it is too darn expensive for our August trip.

We'll be staying at the Sheraton for free (on Starwood points) and using their free shuttle.

We like the Disneyland Hotel much better than the Grand Californian--but it is really a personal preference thing. It's fine if you like the GC more!

We like the bigger, lighter rooms and better views (higher towers) at the DLH. For us with 3 kids, the "more room" aspect cannot be denied. I found the GC to be cramped and dark--but thought the lobby was really nice.

We also like the more "Disney-ish" experience at the DLH. The walking isn't enough to quibble over:confused3 The distance is really close between the two hotels and the Disneyland Park. We don't go into the California Adventure much--we tend to start our days at Disneyland, and then run over to the CA mid-day. So we didn't end up using the GC entrance when we stayed there much.

This is a good thread, I am really torn on what hotel to pick... on the one hand I am drawn to DLH because it's just so classic Disney... on the other hand I am drawn to the GC with all the great reviews. I stayed at WL at WDW and was not impressed - when I look at GC I kind of get that WL feeling.

Then there is offsite that is sooo much cheaper, in fact I could do that and for the price difference book a VIP DIsney guide which is an awesome experience.

So many decisions to make, I have lots of time though as our trip is not until next august.

This is a good thread, I am really torn on what hotel to pick... on the one hand I am drawn to DLH because it's just so classic Disney... on the other hand I am drawn to the GC with all the great reviews. I stayed at WL at WDW and was not impressed - when I look at GC I kind of get that WL feeling.

GC is more "deluxe" than WL, it's more a cross of WL and Grand Floridian.

We have never stayed at the GCH but we have stayed at the DLH the last few times. I really love the DLH. The service is always wonderful and our trip last year the staff was better than I have ever received. We had the pool view which was a lot of fun. Our kids 10, 12, and 14, with a 19 year old niece all liked the view and the pool. With kids the theming of the pool and rooms is great. I think the grounds are more charming than the grounds of the GCH. I enjoy the waterfall and the koi pond. It's funny but I usually use the kids and my Mom as the reason for staying at the DLH but I am planning a Mom and Dad only trip and I am still leaning towards the DLH. It's not the price but more the pure joy I feel walking under The Sorcerer's hat that I feel and the Pixie Dust around the room that does it for me.

Michele
:hippie:

Can someone explain the different views at DLH for me? I take it there is a pool view you can pay for? what about a park view and what are the other views? what might I be looking at? is there any really nasty views?

Well, there are parking lot views. . .

Here's a photo of the view we had from the Dreams Tower, park view:

dlh.jpg

dlh1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter