• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why should I buy DVC?

t1lersm0m

All things Disney all the time
The tone of my title comes out kind of wrong, but I'm basically looking for advice.

I love WDW. I travel there about once a year. Before my divorce it was my husband, my son and I. Now it's just my son and I. Although I love WDW, I can't see traveling there more than once a year.

I've looked into buying DVC, and for the OOP cost DVC is completely worth it. But I never pay rack rates and stay in deluxe or Home away from Home resorts. I generally come down for Free Dining and stay in a value.

However, I stayed in Fort Wilderness twice and Animal Kingdom Lodge once, and loved having more room and a nicer resort to stay at than Pop Century and All Star Sports.

I was originally thinking of buying 75 points resale, but then I thought maybe I'd buy 200 points resale this way if my parents and/or brother and his girlfriend ever wanted to come down, and the years I don't need bigger rooms I can rent out 50-100 points to pay for my maintenance fees.

The maintenance fees are what kill me. If I paid $16K up front for 200 points to DVC, I then have to pay $1000 a year in maintenance fees.

So I looked at the number of points required to get a week in the Kilimanjaro Club Concierge in AKL, and it's only 119 points for a week the time of year we typically go (September or early December). I could rent those pionts from someone for somewhere around $10-$13 a point and pay $1190 to $1547 for a week.

So, what benefits are there to buying DVC? I know I read a thread about Valet parking no longer being included.

Are there other perks that make DVC ownership worthwhile?

Thanks!

:) For a Disney Freak/addict like me it is crack. I only thought I was a planner before the DIS and DVC...now with those two on board I am at a whole new obsessive level. Let's see, valuse are great and worth it at all times, there is nothing wrong with them. But being at AKV our last trip was trully a luxury vacation and one we could not have afforded without our DVC. The balcony off the room overlooking the savannah, closer bus drop off, more room, friendly service, ambiance....the complete package. DH and I love WDW and have decided it will always be a yearly trip for us as long as we can go.....so DVC was just the next level in insuring a deluxe room and at world class resort for the next 47 years. :banana:

Assuming you can realistically afford it, it sounds like you are a good candidate for DVC since you can save money vs. rack rate at the nicer accommodations you would prefer.

I was originally thinking of buying 75 points resale

Since you are worried about maintenance fees, I DEFINITELY think you should start small with a resale like that. You can always bank or borrow for a large group trip, and you can buy another resale or add-on through Disney if you decide you really need more points on a regular basis. You can NOT, however, sell part of a contract to make it smaller if you buy 200 and realize 150 would have been better / the right recurring cost for you.

On a more general note, there are lots and lots of threads discussing various pros and cons- I'm not sure how much 'homework' you've done so far. Three quick items though based on other items you mentioned:

Concierge rooms are VERY hard to book- there are only 10 units (bookable as up to 15); 5 ded. 2 BR and 5 lockoffs, so don't count on getting those.

Point charts can and recently have changed, so don't count on that stay always being 119 points. It could go up or down based on a number of variables (then again, it might not changes for years and years to come) - it's just the total number of points that can't change. Essentially, if one night for a particular type of room comes up for certain days, others will go down in the points they take. Recently weekends went down in point cost quite a bit, while weekdays went up. Some people have been very upset by this, particularly ones who no longer had enough points to do "their" trip each year.

Lastly- Personally, and nothing against you or anyone else in particular, but- I dislike the idea of people who purchase planning to rent, because that seems to go against the spirit of the program if not the letter of the rules. Theoretically members are supposed to be buying it for THEIR use and the use of their guests; it explicitly is not to be used as a business. <that's paraphrased...> Reserving a difficult to get room (Such as Club Level @ AKV) with no plans to use it yourself but rather just to try and make money seems wrong and unfair to people who actually want to stay there. HOWEVER, lots of people do it. {This is just my opinion folks, please don't flame me!} Now if you have a ressie you intended to use (or have a friend or family member go on) and something happens that you/they can't go, then renting it out is a completely different story- I have no problem with that and would hate to see people waste points if they are past their banking window, within 60 days of arrival, or something similar that would make it a burden to cancel.

Lastly- Personally, and nothing against you or anyone else in particular, but- I dislike the idea of people who purchase planning to rent, because that seems to go against the spirit of the program if not the letter of the rules. Theoretically members are supposed to be buying it for THEIR use and the use of their guests; it explicitly is not to be used as a business. <that's paraphrased...> Reserving a difficult to get room (Such as Club Level @ AKV) with no plans to use it yourself but rather just to try and make money seems wrong and unfair to people who actually want to stay there. HOWEVER, lots of people do it. {This is just my opinion folks, please don't flame me!} Now if you have a ressie you intended to use (or have a friend or family member go on) and something happens that you/they can't go, then renting it out is a completely different story- I have no problem with that and would hate to see people waste points if they are past their banking window, within 60 days of arrival, or something similar that would make it a burden to cancel.

Just pointing out the OP mentioned renting the points from someone.

So I looked at the number of points required to get a week in the Kilimanjaro Club Concierge in AKL, and it's only 119 points for a week the time of year we typically go (September or early December). I could rent those pionts from someone for somewhere around $10-$13 a point and pay $1190 to $1547 for a week.

I was originally thinking of buying 75 points resale, but then I thought maybe I'd buy 200 points resale this way if my parents and/or brother and his girlfriend ever wanted to come down, and the years I don't need bigger rooms I can rent out 50-100 points to pay for my maintenance fees.

The maintenance fees are what kill me. If I paid $16K up front for 200 points to DVC, I then have to pay $1000 a year in maintenance fees.

Thanks!

Just pointing out the OP mentioned renting the points from someone.

She also mentioned buying a larger contract and renting the points to people.

OP...we have 100 points and are very happy. We stay in studios on weekdays in adventure season alot. I agree that you may want to start with a smallish contract and then decide if you want more points.

Think about buying DVC for the great discounts you get on deluxe and home away from home accommodations. Disney won't be discounting cash rooms forever.

The best "perk" from DVC is not a perk from Disney at all. Knowing that you will be back allows you to slow down and smell the roses. At that point, Disney quits being an amusement park with a great atmosphere...and turns into a wonderful place with a great atmosphere that happens to have extra attractions.

When we were looking to buy...we completely glossed over the price of food, transportation, park tickets, and souvenirs. These costs are significant. We would have still bought though. We :love: owning DVC!

the #1 benefit is having an awesome room each and every time you go to Disney without having to worry about getting a "deal".

Free Dining is great, but how long will it really be around, plus, will you still be able to do it when you child is older and can't take that much time off from school.

We bought DVC because I'm too cheap to pay deluxe,:rotfl2: However, I do have champagne taste and just love the size of the rooms and all the space. We stayed at the BLT in a 1 bedroom and the room was HUGE!! I felt like it was a mini apartment. The weather was cold 40-50 degrees and raining so we spent a lot of time in the room because it was so AWESOME!!

Start out with the 75 point contract and then add on from there. Try different resorts and see where you like it best. For me and my family, location is the main factor on where we stay, however, we ended up buying at my 2 favorite resorts-- location was the #1 reason I bought at the BW and BLT-- but I just love both resorts.

Good Luck!!!

You are comparing buying 200 pts to renting 119 points and that may be causing some of your confusion.

If you rent 119 points at $11/per point the cost will be $1309.00. The annual fees on 119 points for this year was $4.95. So your cost would be $589.05 or a $719.95 savings.

If you purchased 200 points your annual fees would be $990.00 and to rent those same points at $11/pt would be $2200.00 or a difference of $1210.00.

You would be able to offset those cost by renting out a portion of your points when you do not need them.

The only advice I would give you is, if you buy 200 points, either buy
2 -100/point contracts or 4 - 50 point/contracts. That way if you want to sell some but not all of your points it gives you some flexibility.

Or like other posters have said start out with a smaller contract and if it is working out for you, you can always add-on in small increments say 25 to 50 points to get you where you want/need to be. If you buy direct through Disney you will need to buy at least 160 points if you are not already a member. However, buying resale you can start out with any number of points and still have full membership benefits as those who have many points.

:) Recent threads have been talking about a deal on OKW--You can buy directly 100@ $90 a point....WITH NO CLOSING COST. $9,000 is a pretty good deal and you may even get the 2009 points if you want a Oct/Dec UY...but you would have to check with a guide.

The tone of my title comes out kind of wrong, but I'm basically looking for advice.

I love WDW. I travel there about once a year. Before my divorce it was my husband, my son and I. Now it's just my son and I. Although I love WDW, I can't see traveling there more than once a year.

I've looked into buying DVC, and for the OOP cost DVC is completely worth it. But I never pay rack rates and stay in deluxe or Home away from Home resorts. I generally come down for Free Dining and stay in a value.

However, I stayed in Fort Wilderness twice and Animal Kingdom Lodge once, and loved having more room and a nicer resort to stay at than Pop Century and All Star Sports.

So, what benefits are there to buying DVC? I know I read a thread about Valet parking no longer being included.

Are there other perks that make DVC ownership worthwhile?

Thanks!
You will not save money buying DVC with your past trip methods. You will pay more for DVC even comparing apples to apples. You will however get upgraded options for a controlled price not that much more than you'd likely pay with cash on property. You should compare a studio to a regular room and just the number of points you could realistically get a studio for the number of nights you usually go. I would not buy if you have to finance or if you are uncertain about your future travel patterns. I certainly would not buy to rent out routinely, it simply doesn't make financial sense. You could do it, it's certainly OK under the rules, but the numbers just don't make sense as a long term plan.

You will not save money buying DVC with your past trip methods. You will pay more for DVC even comparing apples to apples. You will however get upgraded options for a controlled price not that much more than you'd likely pay with cash on property. You should compare a studio to a regular room and just the number of points you could realistically get a studio for the number of nights you usually go. I would not buy if you have to finance or if you are uncertain about your future travel patterns. I certainly would not buy to rent out routinely, it simply doesn't make financial sense. You could do it, it's certainly OK under the rules, but the numbers just don't make sense as a long term plan.

I'm about to come into some money, and aside from friends and family, WDW brings me the most happiness in my life. I spend more time planning our trips, even though we go every year, than we actually spend on the trip. I don't imagine my love for WDW changing, if it does change it will only grow. My parents took us growing up, and I loved it, but my first trip as an adult was when my son was nearly 3, in February 2001. My son loves WDW as much as I do. I planned a week in OC Maryland this summer, and joked with my son that it was taking the place of our annual trip to WDW. He was VERY upset.

So, I think considering the fact I'm about to come into some money, and I love WDW so much, I'd like to buy DVC. I haven't stayed off site since 2003, and I can't imagine staying offsite. I like the fact that as my son grows, if he wants to go to a water park, he can take a bus there while I rest at the hotel, and come back later. With the constant running buses, we can spend as much or as little time together as we want.

I think I will take everyone's advice....I think I will buy about 75 points, or maybe 100, resale.

I'm about to come into some money, and aside from friends and family, WDW brings me the most happiness in my life. I spend more time planning our trips, even though we go every year, than we actually spend on the trip. I don't imagine my love for WDW changing, if it does change it will only grow. My parents took us growing up, and I loved it, but my first trip as an adult was when my son was nearly 3, in February 2001. My son loves WDW as much as I do. I planned a week in OC Maryland this summer, and joked with my son that it was taking the place of our annual trip to WDW. He was VERY upset.

So, I think considering the fact I'm about to come into some money, and I love WDW so much, I'd like to buy DVC. I haven't stayed off site since 2003, and I can't imagine staying offsite. I like the fact that as my son grows, if he wants to go to a water park, he can take a bus there while I rest at the hotel, and come back later. With the constant running buses, we can spend as much or as little time together as we want.

I think I will take everyone's advice....I think I will buy about 75 points, or maybe 100, resale.
You'll have to decide whether the extra costs are worth it to you considering how you plan your trips currently and your additional financial situation. DVC is an upgrade for your situation, but at some cost. Good luck with your decision.

If you:

* Plan to visit WDW about once a year, or at worst once ever other year, for many decades,
* cannot bear the thought of staying in a non-Disney property,
* and typically stay in a Deluxe or maybe a Moderate,

then DVC might be for you.

OP: Glad you think you'll be able to do something you enjoy with the money and good luck with the resale purchase!!!

One more question...I didn't want to post a new topic.

Is it really SUPER important to buy at the resort you plan to stay at the most? I was wondering because obviously, from what I've seen Hilton Head has the lowest buy in price. But if I buy at Hilton Head and want to go to WDW, I have to wait for the 7 month window rather than the 11 month window.

But it's a HUGE savings to buy HHI. So if I buy at HHI and plan to use my points at WDW, and I typically go in off times of year, will I have a hard time? I loved AKL when we stayed there in 2004 before DVC built there, so I really want to stay there in the future in a DVC room. I think I would also like BCV for Stormalong Bay and BVL (Bayview Lake? Am I right on that? LOL) because of being on the monorail. Wilderness Lodge also looks awesome.

SO MANY CHOICES. LOL

One more question...I didn't want to post a new topic.

Is it really SUPER important to buy at the resort you plan to stay at the most? I was wondering because obviously, from what I've seen Hilton Head has the lowest buy in price. But if I buy at Hilton Head and want to go to WDW, I have to wait for the 7 month window rather than the 11 month window.

But it's a HUGE savings to buy HHI. So if I buy at HHI and plan to use my points at WDW, and I typically go in off times of year, will I have a hard time? I loved AKL when we stayed there in 2004 before DVC built there, so I really want to stay there in the future in a DVC room. I think I would also like BCV for Stormalong Bay and BVL (Bayview Lake? Am I right on that? LOL) because of being on the monorail. Wilderness Lodge also looks awesome.

SO MANY CHOICES. LOL
The answer is no for many, yes for others. I would recommend against VB/HH for the purposes of a points cow due to the fact you've given up any option of an 11 month window at WDW and the higher dues. IMO, the price difference has reached a point where it's worth taking the chance of not getting what you want some trips. Those that want a given resort or specialty unit type are always going to need to own at a given resort but you can often be successful not owning at a given resort if you learn how to play the game. IMO, SSR is the best value as a points cow and I'D only look at VB/HH if I wanted to use the points at the home resort part of the time and in the case of HH, only during May to Sept. The only other exception I can think of is if you could find a subsidized VB contract for the price of a non subsidized one.

Keep in mind that HHI & Vero have the highest dues, so cheap up front purchase price doesn't necessarily mean cheapest in the long term. AKV also has a longer contract than either of those do... I like to take purchase price / # of points / # of years left on the contract, and that gives me a true apples to apples purchase price to compare. Then I add dues on to it and that is how I evaluate the cost since I plan to keep my DVC long term and being not quite 35 I have a reasonable chance of outliving my contracts. ;)

I personally am a compulsive planner and REALLY like booking at 11 months whenever possible. That is why I own contracts at 4 different resorts; home resort at each for trips in alternating years and/or bringing family. It also makes me happy to always have at least one Disney trip with the room reservations already made to help make checkout day less depressing when one trip ends. In the future I plan to try different resorts by swapping at 7. *IF* you can plan more than 7 months out I think buying where you want to stay (or at least wouldn't mind staying even if not your first choice) is important. It is even more important during busy travel times, and your preferred travel times may change in the future. To get the limited count rooms like value or Concierge in Jambo House at AKV you might need it as your home resort almost year round.

If you want lower purchase price but only plan to stay in WDW, I'd probably go OKW or SSR. That way you are at the general area you want to stay and could book @ 11 and then try to change at 7, but can still have the vacation at WDW. Harder to get to MK from HHI than from OKW... :3dglasses

The DVC resort attached to the Contemporary is "Bay Lake Tower", which is often abbreviated BLT.

Keep in mind that HHI & Vero have the highest dues, so cheap up front purchase price doesn't necessarily mean cheapest in the long term. AKV also has a longer contract than either of those do... I like to take purchase price / # of points / # of years left on the contract, and that gives me a true apples to apples purchase price to compare. Then I add dues on to it and that is how I evaluate the cost since I plan to keep my DVC long term and being not quite 35 I have a reasonable chance of outliving my contracts. ;)

I personally am a compulsive planner and REALLY like booking at 11 months whenever possible. That is why I own contracts at 4 different resorts; home resort at each for trips in alternating years and/or bringing family. It also makes me happy to always have at least one Disney trip with the room reservations already made to help make checkout day less depressing when one trip ends. In the future I plan to try different resorts by swapping at 7. *IF* you can plan more than 7 months out I think buying where you want to stay (or at least wouldn't mind staying even if not your first choice) is important. It is even more important during busy travel times, and your preferred travel times may change in the future. To get the limited count rooms like value or Concierge in Jambo House at AKV you might need it as your home resort almost year round.

If you want lower purchase price but only plan to stay in WDW, I'd probably go OKW or SSR. That way you are at the general area you want to stay and could book @ 11 and then try to change at 7, but can still have the vacation at WDW. Harder to get to MK from HHI than from OKW... :3dglasses

The DVC resort attached to the Contemporary is "Bay Lake Tower", which is often abbreviated BLT.

Thanks for the great info!

Concierge rooms are VERY hard to book- there are only 10 units (bookable as up to 15); 5 ded. 2 BR and 5 lockoffs, so don't count on getting those.

Just so the OP knows all the facts, there are only 5 lockoffs 2 BR, no dedicated 2 BR. This can be broken down to 5 1 BR and 5 studios. If you want to stay here, you need to own at AKV. I was unable to get a studio at the 11 month window once. HTH :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter