Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip? Link to New TR 6/24 p136!

I have been juggling 1000 HHI pictures and at least 2000 soccer pictures. My iphoto library had over 10,000 photos in it and I was desperately trying to backup and delete things. Well, if you read my previous post you know that I deleted things alright – I deleted my whole iphoto library. I basically overwrote it with an empty iphoto library. Fortunately, almost all of my photos were backed up. But not the HHI ones, so I am desperately working on getting enough edited for an update. I never clear my memory cards, so thank goodness for that.

Back to HHI – Today is Monday October 24, 2011. Since I went to sleep at 9pm, its not surprising that I was up at about 5:30am. I just laid in bed until about 6:15 and then got up to make the coffee. Everyone else was still asleep – shock, I know. With my coffee in hand, I decided to go unpack my suitcase and get my room/closet organized. Seriously – the master BR of a villa for one person is like having your own suite. I could get used to that!

Clothes and suitcase put away, I dressed in my running clothes and decided to go find the work-out room. I found it near the mercantile. Again, who is surprised that I was the only person there at 0645 am. Even the TV was off, so my first challenge was figuring out how to turn it on. I ended up watching some bones reruns while I ran on the treadmill for a ½ hour. I would have preferred to run outside, but there really isn’t enough space for a decent run on property and I didn’t feel comfortable venturing off property that early in the morning. It was still practically dark outside.

I took my phone with me, so I have some cell phone pictures to share. The Mercantile in the morning light:

f987e2ca.jpg

Come and get it!

51a1c097.jpg

The Health Club - Bend and Stretch

10d9c151.jpg

Drink Dispenser near the Mercantile and Bend & Stretch

e9af5561.jpg

This turned out pretty good for a phone pic

444e2c7d.jpg

In case you were wondering, your kids can make pressed pennies here

f7aa67f5.jpg

Bad picture of exercise equipment

74d70d2a.jpg

Bend and Stretch Pictures

39ad2e1b.jpg

One TV. This place was not very big

82ff20e4.jpg

Broad Creek Rentals

4cfecb0c.jpg

Shadows doggie door

bddf74b1.jpg

When I got back to the villa P was up. I grabbed my paperwork and key and went to registration to check out and back in. On the way there I got a call from Nick asking where I put his school clothes. I only told him 5 times before I left. I had everything for the week pressed and hanging in Brian’s closet because there was more room in there. I didn’t want his stuff wouldn’t get wrinkled. Then Nick said, “Do you know what today is?” He caught me off guard, so I replied “what?” He said “my Birthday”. DOH! Of course I knew it was his birthday, but since we had celebrated it on Friday before I left it just slipped my mind. Bad Mommy!

Here are some pictures I took on the way over to the lodge.

IMG_9428.jpg

IMG_9429.jpg

IMG_9430.jpg

Horse shoes anyone?

IMG_9431.jpg

IMG_9433.jpg

The main lodge:

IMG_9435.jpg

Gotta love this:

IMG_9434.jpg

At the registration desk:

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9445.jpg

IMG_9439.jpg

I took I ton of pictures here. I just loved the main lodge. I suspect this is where most of the studios are. If I was in a studio I would probably be down here every day.

IMG_9443.jpg

IMG_9444.jpg

IMG_9453.jpg

IMG_9455.jpg

There was one gentleman in her on his computer. He probably thought I was insane with the number of pictures I took.

Continued.........

Continued.......

IMG_9456.jpg

Need a closer look?

IMG_9457.jpg

IMG_9458.jpg

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9460.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg

IMG_9463.jpg

IMG_9467.jpg

IMG_9468.jpg

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9471.jpg

IMG_9472.jpg

IMG_9476.jpg

I took this picture in that hall leading to the back of the lodge

IMG_9452.jpg

In that same hall

IMG_9451.jpg

View from the back of the main lodge

IMG_9450.jpg

IMG_9448.jpg

This little seating area is right outside the main lobby

IMG_9478.jpg

view down the steps off the porch

IMG_9479.jpg

Shadow's House is right outside of the main entrance

IMG_9482.jpg

IMG_9483.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

main entrance door

IMG_9484.jpg

The walk back

IMG_9487.jpg

IMG_9490.jpg

When I got back to the villa P and L decided they were going for a walk. I decided to take the frequent flier tour. I got there plenty early and then ran back to get a sweatshirt since it felt a little cold. I don’t remember the name of the CM who headed up our bird walk. She was nice enough, but just a little aloof. Not in a bad way, but I just felt more like she was going through the motions. She was pretty smart when it came to birds. At one point I asked her what her background was and I want to say it was something like Ecology or Environmental Science. I will tell you that the CM’s at HHI had multiple jobs and I also saw here take her turn as a lifeguard.

Continued..........

Continued........

I forgot a couple of pictures that I took pre the frequent flier walk.

View of the marsh

IMG_9492.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

IMG_9493.jpg

IMG_9495.jpg

Our Building
IMG_9502.jpg

View from our Building

IMG_9503.jpg

Our Villa

IMG_9504.jpg

Easy to remember that number.

Waiting for the frequent flier tour I took a few more pics

Remember this

IMG_9509.jpg

Well, check this out

IMG_9508.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

Look who's out there Father, son, and bird

IMG_9512.jpg

This is our first bird, the white ibis. They have a long beak that dings into the marsh to get food.

This is some type of heron (I have to check my notes)

IMG_9518.jpg

IMG_9521.jpg

Next we visited our resident egret

IMG_9525.jpg

Smile

IMG_9524.jpg

Our CM told us that this same egret stays in this exact spot for most of the day. He actively chases away any other bird that tries to invade his space.

Important Message

IMG_9527.jpg

Moving on

IMG_9529.jpg

Birds were scarce at the beginning of our walk, so I took a lot of pictures of Spanish moss

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9539.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

I also got distracted by the multi-million dollar yachts literally steps from my villa

IMG_9537.jpg

IMG_9538.jpg

We found some Pelicans

IMG_9549.jpg

IMG_9551.jpg

Coming in for a landing

IMG_9554.jpg

Continued........

Continued.......

This little black bird also has a name (something like a cormorant)

IMG_9556.jpg

Egret

IMG_9560.jpg

We even found a wood pecker

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

Some scenery pics

IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_9569.jpg

Two other people took the frequent flier walk with me. They were a couple from Miami and they were wearing long pants and mid weight jackets. It really wasn't that cold.

On the way back to the Mercantile we hit pay dirt. No, not some rare bird that I've never heard of. We met Shadow.

IMG_9573.jpg

In case you weren't sure whether Shadow really exists, here she is....in the flesh..... I mean.....in the fur.

IMG_9574.jpg

I asked our CM how long she has been there and I learned that Shadow was a stray who showed up as a puppy when the resort first opened. The resort has been open for 15 years. I'm not quite sure I believe Shadow is THAT old.

IMG_9575.jpg

All together now....AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

IMG_9578.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos

IMG_9581.jpg

Another egret

IMG_9583.jpg

Here's a view of the back of our villa - top floor

IMG_9580.jpg

If you take the frequent flier walk you will get a bird guide and a pair of binoculars. I didn't take the binoculars. I just used my camera

IMG_9588.jpg

I really enjoyed the frequent flier walk even though I am not a huge bird person. It was a nice way to roam around, focus on the wildlife, and get some nice pics.

Up Next..... Where IS the Disney Beach House?

IMG_9587.jpg

A nice nature walk with beautiful pictures.

It sounds like you got a nice walk, got to meet shadow and see some of the wildlife in the area.

Love the pictures! It looks like such a nice resort, I really love all the cute little details you got pics of!

The frequent fliers walk sounds nice, I'm not a huge bird person either, but I think that could be fun!

Shadow is so cute, but I don't think he looks that old either! :rotfl:

I love all of those signs for the different DVC resorts, and how far away they are! It's crazy how far Aulani is, if you really think about it! I mean, I know it's Hawaii...but sometimes I forget that it's right in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You rock, MEK, with your photos. :worship::worship::worship:

That lodge is spectacular and, like you, I would have spent a lot of time there if my room was right there.

Glad you enjoyed the tour.

Hey, that's what my hair looks like untamed! :rotfl:

I love all the vintage-y signs around HHI, they're so cool! The atmosphere there seems really well done!

I was going to ask you if Shadow was real! Hmmm...I'm certainly no dog expert, but that guy doesn't look 15! :laughing: He's a cutie though!

A nice nature walk with beautiful pictures.

It sounds like you got a nice walk, got to meet shadow and see some of the wildlife in the area.

I really did enjoy the walk, even though I am not a huge bird lover. I really did concentrate on trying to learn the names of some of the birds. Overall, a fun experience and meeting shadow was definitely a highlight!

Love the pictures! It looks like such a nice resort, I really love all the cute little details you got pics of!

It's a beautiful little resort if you like the rustic, bad woods, fishing theme. You can see that fishing and tobacco are the major industries in the low country! ;)

The frequent fliers walk sounds nice, I'm not a huge bird person either, but I think that could be fun!

It was enjoyable as a way to see the little nooks and crannies of the resort. I'm glad I decided to take it.

Shadow is so cute, but I don't think he looks that old either! :rotfl:

Isn't she or he? I'm not sure if Shadow is a boy or girl. I thought she was a girl, but I could be wrong. :confused3

I love all of those signs for the different DVC resorts, and how far away they are! It's crazy how far Aulani is, if you really think about it! I mean, I know it's Hawaii...but sometimes I forget that it's right in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

I know. Hawaii is quite the distance from HHI. I love that all the Orlando resorts are only 300 miles away. Makes you feel so close.

Oh man, I was afraid of that -- now I want to go to Hilton Head someday! :laughing: It looks beautiful.

It's really hard not to feel that way. I honestly can't wait to go back. I know it won't be for two years. I'd like to stay for a whole week the next time. There IS that much to do.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You rock, MEK, with your photos. :worship::worship::worship:

Thanks Kathy! I'm glad you liked them because those were the ones I had already edited and then deleted. :headache: Maybe my edits got better the second time around.

That lodge is spectacular and, like you, I would have spent a lot of time there if my room was right there.

Glad you enjoyed the tour.

That room was so cool and I wish I had had the opportunity to go back there one more time, but I never did. I loved it there. What a cute place to hang out in the evening with friends and a few adult beverages. Loved the pool table - nice touch.

The bird walk was a lot of fun.

Hey, that's what my hair looks like untamed! :rotfl:

I know I am going to laugh at this when I get home, but I can't imagine what picture you just posted. :confused3

I love all the vintage-y signs around HHI, they're so cool! The atmosphere there seems really well done!

It was really well done. Whoever decorated the lodge clearly put a lot of work into finding fund, eclectic pictures and ornamentals. I really loved that room. :lovestruc

I was going to ask you if Shadow was real! Hmmm...I'm certainly no dog expert, but that guy doesn't look 15! :laughing: He's a cutie though!

Shadow was pretty cool, although he/she looks a little sad in some of those pics, don't you think? I expect that perhaps there have been more than one Shadow (but who knows) and there will be future Shadows. Apparently the staff just take turns caring for Shadow. What a great place to happen upon as a stray dog! :goodvibes

I don't know that I would have spent anytime doing anything else after seeing your gorgeous pictures of that lobby! I love the decor there....looks so homey!

Fantastic update and those pictures......:cloud9:

I don't know that I would have spent anytime doing anything else after seeing your gorgeous pictures of that lobby! I love the decor there....looks so homey!

:

Isn't it just the cutest thing you have ever seen? It's really different than the lobbies in any of the other DVC resorts I have been in. So rich in detail!

Fantastic update and those pictures......:cloud9:

Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed! I think I got a few keepers in the photo department! :thumbsup2

This place is just getting better and better. I really didn't give it any credit before, but it is just beautiful! Love all the vintage signs and trinkets. Love the Mickey as the door handles! And Shadow's cute little doggy door and house!

Even though the CM wasn't quite into it, I'm glad you got to see some things you might not have seen if you hadn't gone. Koodos to you for excercising on vacation! I meant to say that when you did the Williamsburg TR but I forgot. I always mean to get to the gym on vacation, but then never do....

This place is just getting better and better. I really didn't give it any credit before, but it is just beautiful! Love all the vintage signs and trinkets. Love the Mickey as the door handles! And Shadow's cute little doggy door and house!

It IS getting better and better, isn't it? :laughing: It is so full of details. I honestly think for people who love the outdoors and love a beach vacation, it is a perfect place. HHI is really like no other and that just adds to the uniqueness of the resort.

Don't you just LOVE Shadow's house????? I love shadows dog tag! :thumbsup2

Even though the CM wasn't quite into it, I'm glad you got to see some things you might not have seen if you hadn't gone. Koodos to you for excercising on vacation! I meant to say that when you did the Williamsburg TR but I forgot. I always mean to get to the gym on vacation, but then never do....

She was nice, don't get more wrong. I think its just that I've experienced some CM's that are SO into their job that I think they all should be like that.

I actually really like to exercise on vacation. People think I am crazy, but I swear I would run/exercise more if I didn't have to get up so darn early for work. I always feel better after I exercise. Those endorphins work wonders for me! :goodvibes

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous and I am so glad that you were able to find them all. I never delete my memory cards either and do like you do and buy more instead of deleting the others.

I love how the lodge is decorated and have a similar theme in our log house. The hidden Mickey on the checkerboard was super cute.

The walk sound really interesting even if you aren't a big bird lover. I'd enjoy it for the views alone.

Oh no on deleting your whole iphoto library :eek: I'm glad most of the photos were backed up as you take great pics of all the places you visit! :thumbsup2

Wow at doing a work out so early in the morning :worship:

Lol at the phone call from Nick asking where his clothes were...sounds like something one of my brothers would do! :laughing:

Love the pics of the main lodge...it looks very homely.

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous and I am so glad that you were able to find them all. I never delete my memory cards either and do like you do and buy more instead of deleting the others.

Believe me - I am now so glad that I didn't delete anything. I occasionally delete a few things, but nothing I really, really like. So I have a few older photos I still need to find on the memory cards, but I think I am in pretty good shape.

I love how the lodge is decorated and have a similar theme in our log house. The hidden Mickey on the checkerboard was super cute.

It really was super cute and the pictures still don't do it justice. It's one of those places you really need to see for yourself.

Oh, and the hidden Mickey - I did that! :rolleyes1 Couldn't resist!

The walk sound really interesting even if you aren't a big bird lover. I'd enjoy it for the views alone.

It was very peaceful. And it was nice because there were only three of us. I was clearly the least knowledgable on birds. :laughing:

Oh no on deleting your whole iphoto library :eek: I'm glad most of the photos were backed up as you take great pics of all the places you visit! :thumbsup2

Yeah - it was not one of my finer moments. I really didn't think I could replace the full library with an empty library. I just thought I was merging two icons. Oh brother. thank Goodness for memory cards.

Wow at doing a work out so early in the morning :worship:

I really do like working out in the morning on vacation. I feel like it gets the day started right and I feel a little less guilty for all the calories I consume later in the day. :rolleyes1

Lol at the phone call from Nick asking where his clothes were...sounds like something one of my brothers would do! :laughing:

I can't tell you how many times I said, "All your school clothes are ironed, matched up, and hanging in Brian's closet - 5 pants, 6 shirts, just in case". Kids? :rotfl: He has to wear a uniform shirt this year so it just makes sense that I had everything picked out. His only choice is what color to wear and he only has 6 shirts to choose from. Life is much easier with a uniform. :thumbsup2

Love the pics of the main lodge...it looks very homely.

It was so cute in there. I really regret that I didn't go back and spend more time there before we left. Oh well. Next time!

The exterior pictures of this resort are amazing! I have never seen any pictures of this place, so I think I had low expectations. Not sure why, considering it IS a Disney resort. :confused3 Everything is so perfect and clean. Early morning pictures are the best, when you can feel the calm environment through the images.

I love the sign about hooking your man if you use the right tackle. That was funny! I'm glad you explained who Shadow was, because I had no clue. What a great story! She is a beautiful dog.

The hammock down by the water looks so relaxing. I would have tried to spend some time down there. I also think I would have enjoyed the bird walk. I'm not into birds either, but I love tours that take you places that you wouldn't normally go. I think one of my favorite pictures is of the pelican landing in the water.

I can't wait to read more!

Your pictures so make we want to take a trip there! The resort looks so homey and peaceful! Nice update :thumbsup2

The exterior pictures of this resort are amazing! I have never seen any pictures of this place, so I think I had low expectations. Not sure why, considering it IS a Disney resort. :confused3 Everything is so perfect and clean. Early morning pictures are the best, when you can feel the calm environment through the images.

A big part of the reason I am doing this combo TR is because I really wanted to post pictures HERE so that people could really see this resort. Usually people write about HHI over in the DVC section. I didn't want to do that.

Your comment about everything being "so perfect and clean" hits the nail on the head. It really is SO clean and well maintained.

I love taking early morning pictures. I always like be up early at WDW, too. There is a certain calmness in the morning that is so invigorating.

I love the sign about hooking your man if you use the right tackle. That was funny! I'm glad you explained who Shadow was, because I had no clue. What a great story! She is a beautiful dog.

Clearly fishing is a big thing at HHI. I imagine there are all types of fish to be had.

And Shadow - I had heard there was a dog there name Shadow, but I really wasn't positive. When I saw the dog house I still wasn't sure if it was just a prop or if there was a real Shadow!

The hammock down by the water looks so relaxing. I would have tried to spend some time down there. I also think I would have enjoyed the bird walk. I'm not into birds either, but I love tours that take you places that you wouldn't normally go. I think one of my favorite pictures is of the pelican landing in the water.

I can't wait to read more!

I loved seeing all those pelicans. It was like they were all lined up just waiting for us.

There were hammocks all over the property. I never saw anyone in them, but they were certainly there. And plenty of picnic tables too. And I got a kick out of the horseshoes.

I hope to update again this weekend with some beach house pictures.

Your pictures so make we want to take a trip there! The resort looks so homey and peaceful! Nice update :thumbsup2

Dawn - It really was one of the most relaxing places I have ever visited. Both the resort and HHI were unlike any place I have ever been. I don't think I will ever be satisfied going to the Delaware beachs again. I think HHI is now my new favorite beach resort. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter