• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip? Link to New TR 6/24 p136!

Hi MEK - glad I found this at the beginning or I'd never be able to keep up. I'm looking forward to your tripping :lmao: esp Williamsburg, as its high on my "to do " list - but not sure my 8 YO is ready for it.

MEN :goodvibes

This looks like it's going to be a fun TR... Hope you don't mind if I tag along. :thumbsup2

D~

I read the intro! I think this will be fabulous!! :cool1: I can't wait to hear all about Williamsburg, HHI and your trip in Dec!!

You knew I'd be here! :thumbsup2

Don't know about this though. Since DW and I will be at HHI the same time you and your girlfriends are there, does this mean we become part of the TR or does what happens in HHI....stay in HHI? :rotfl2:

I'm here!! Can't wait to hear all about your trips!!!!
Welcome Jen!!!!So happy to have you here because hopefully we are sharing a visit at some trips further down in the queue! :rotfl:

I'm here! I need to read yet though.:goodvibes

Welcome Brook!Thanks so much for stopping by! So four months until your next trip? Nice!

Here, here, here!! I have to go back and read the intro but I'm here!!!
Welcome Melissa! I am so glad you stopped by and I even happier that you are back on the boards after being MIA for the summer! :rolleyes1
I wish our December trips overlapped. Almost!

[/COLOR]
Wow! Page two already! I need to start reading. Just got an IPhone & have been playing with that!

I gotta get busy.:laughing:
Welcome Doris! I'm so glad you stopped by. Did you start your TR yet???? I didn't miss the start, did I?

Do you love your iphone? Isn't it great! Enjoy!

I'm joining in! This sounds like it's going to be a great TR(s):thumbsup2
Welcome amazingact! Thanks so much for joining in! I see you have another trip coming up in a couple weeks, too.

Hi MEK - glad I found this at the beginning or I'd never be able to keep up. I'm looking forward to your tripping :lmao: esp Williamsburg, as its high on my "to do " list - but not sure my 8 YO is ready for it.

MEN :goodvibes

From one Mary Ellen to another.....Welcome! Thanks so much for joining in. I know what you mean about having to get in on the beginning. That's I am with alot of trip reports. If its too far gone I'll never catch up.

This looks like it's going to be a fun TR... Hope you don't mind if I tag along. :thumbsup2

D~

Welcome DMGeurts!Do I mind if you tag along - heck I am thrilled you are here!!! Thanks for joining in!

I read the intro! I think this will be fabulous!! :cool1: I can't wait to hear all about Williamsburg, HHI and your trip in Dec!!

I'm glad you liked the intro. I still can't believe our timing is off and we won't see each other. But you know what I always say - FOOD & WINE 2012!!!!! :woohoo::woohoo:

Can't wait to hear about your adventures! popcorn::
Welcome C!!! I'm so glad to have you joining in! Just like Melissa, I'm disappointed I won't see you this October but ......NEXT YEAR!!!!!!:woohoo:

I'm here!!!! Can't wait to read more!! :yay:

Welcome Stringbean! It's definitely NOT a trip report without you here! :thumbsup2

You knew I'd be here! :thumbsup2

Don't know about this though. Since DW and I will be at HHI the same time you and your girlfriends are there, does this mean we become part of the TR or does what happens in HHI....stay in HHI? :rotfl2:
Welcome Bill! So happy to have you join in! In response to your question......:rotfl2:! You know there has to be a token picture. But only with your approval. I still have to get approval from my GF's to post their pictures. They are not well versed in DIS culture, so I need to break them in slowly. KWIM? :laughing:

The Williamsburg trip was actually the last trip placed in the queue, even though it was the first one to happen. So – I’ll get to the twist and turns of that one in a minute.

But First……The HHI Trip……..

Beginning about 18 months ago I had told 3 of my GF’s that I wanted to do a girl’s trip in honor of our boys graduating highschool. Since all four of our boys went to school together (and have been together for quite a while), I thought it would be fun for all four moms to get together. Well, I could never get one mom to completely commit to a girl’s trip, but the other two moms were in.

Our original plan – May 2011! Let me say that again only louder – MAY 2011! Of course, that obviously didn’t happen. One mom said she couldn’t possible miss her son running track in the state meet and we could never quite negotiate a replacement date. So, I suggested we plan for fall of 2011 when the boys would (hopefully) all be away at college. Yes – we have other kids at home, but just getting my first one off to college is a big deal for me. I pray every day that he does well in his studies, because he certainly loves being there.

So, once we agreed on a time frame, we needed to agree on a location. At the time I hadn’t purchased a second DVC contract so my available points were limited. I offered the ladies 3 nights in a studio at OKW or standard view AKL. I figured two studios would work out well if all four of us were traveling. I really didn’t have enough points for a 2BR and I thought a 1 BR would be awkward. My plan was to stay at a regular resort for another couple of days.

As an alternate, I suggested we do 2 studios at Vero Beach for 3 nights and do a night at Disney at the beginning and the end of the trip. We wouldn’t need a park ticket, but we could purchase a hard ticket to the Halloween party and maybe go see La Nouba.

My last suggestion (and the one I was least interested in at the time) was Hilton Head. I told them I could cover two nights in a 2BR but we would have to split the balance.

Well, my GF’s said they wanted the cheapest trip, so Hilton Head was the winner. When I started fooling around with Hilton Head dates and rates I found out the it was 36 points a night midweek through the whole month of October. However, I found a killer expedia rate of $188/night/plus tax for the last week of October starting 10/24. Seriously??? WOW!!!!!

So I called member services to find out what the member rate was for those same nights. And are you ready for this?????? $150/night/plus tax. Say what? Even the cast member couldn’t believe it. So, I paid for the first night (the higher rate night) with points and paid for the second night in cash (no brainer) and the balance is due on check-in. My GF’s are basically getting the stay for $150/night plus tax. I know – I know – what a great friend I am!

As HHI looms on the horizon I am getting very excited about it. I’ve never driven south of North Carolina and never stepped foot in SC or Georgia, so this is going to be a new experience for me. We have plans for a side trip to Savannah and a return trip through Charleston. Southern Belle cities – Here I come!

Plus, I recently found out Bill (saintstickets) and his wife will also be at HHI the last week of October. :woohoo:

Williamsburg Trip……

My DH, Denny, has been working crazy hours all summer long. Sometimes he just works from home. When I leave, he is on his work computer. When I get home, he is still on the computer. Then at 6pm – conference calls. He originally said he would be completely unable to take any type of summer vacation, but as August rolled around he decided that he would have enough free time to at least take a long weekend. And that long weekend would coincide with the first weekend Brian would be in college, or so we thought. But more on that later. :rolleyes1

Image0158.jpg

Here's Denny in May 2010 when we stayed at Villas of Wilderness Lodge. He is on my right.

Anyway - I got the idea of going to New Hampshire, specifically the White Mountains, after I read about DIS Mom Amy’s visit there. Amy lives close enough to the White Mountains to make it a fun day trip. I live, oh at least 8 1/2 hours and 400 plus miles away. That doesn’t sound bad except that if you have ever driven there, or looked at a map, you will see that NH is missing a major east-west route. You either have to drive on slow mountain roads or practically drive to Boston before turning north. It’s not a direct route.

Despite that, I made a reservation. The White Mountains reminds me of my childhood because of all the summer vacations we had there. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that 3 nights in the White Mountains was not going to be enough time. I needed a longer trip and we just didn’t have the time . We had planned to take Nick and his GF with us and Nick would already miss two days of preseason soccer to go away for a long weekend. That, alone, is a major high school sports NO-NO.

DisneyJune2009445-1.jpg

(Here's Nick and his younger cousin, LJ, during our 2009 trip to Disney world) But I didn’t care about Nick missing pre season. We didn’t have a summer vacation and I wanted Nick with us. However, I started to think that I needed to shave a couple hundred miles off that route. That’s when I decided Williamsburg would be a nice alternative. There’s plenty to do there, its only 200 plus miles, and I can travel right past Salisbury, Maryland (where Brian goes to school) if need be. Always thinking, I am. Denny was less than thrilled with the Williamsburg idea, but he finally consented. And I found a killer VRBO rental for $360 for 3 nights in a 2BR condo. So it was settled – Williamsburg it was…..Or would Hurricane Irene have other plans????????

Up Next - Hurricane Irene almost puts the kabash on Williamsburg.

I'm joining! I would love to hear about HHI. It's one of the DVC locations we haven't made it to yet.

Looking forward to reading it all! How wonderful to have TWO trips, almost back to back, to look forward to! I am really curious about your HHI trip, I don't know anything at all about that resort....what a steal, $150 a night!

Lovin' your update so far... Your girls trip sounds so awesome! What a perfect idea - and the timing sounds right too. I might have to steal that idea, in about 5 years. :thumbsup2 Hopefully I make it that far - dds are in middle school now - talk about drama. :eek:

D~

You have definitely been keeping yourself busy with various trip planning!!! :laughing: All of your plans sound great - I'm hoping the hurricane hadn't ruined your Williamsburg plans! Silly weather, always keeping us on our toes!

I'm joining! I would love to hear about HHI. It's one of the DVC locations we haven't made it to yet.

Welcome IheartDDuck Thanks for joining in. I am really looking forward to HHI for exactly that reason. I want to focus on the Disney aspects of the resort. I've heard nothing but good about the resort, but I don't know any specifics.

Looking forward to reading it all! How wonderful to have TWO trips, almost back to back, to look forward to! I am really curious about your HHI trip, I don't know anything at all about that resort....what a steal, $150 a night!

It really makes fall into winter much more pleasant with two trips in the queue! :laughing: I promise to take lots of notes and pictures for you incase you need client information. Plus - who knows - you may want to visit sometime with the family. I couldn't believe the jaw dropping member price. So excited about that! :woohoo:

Here, Mary Ellen!!! :woohoo:

Welcome Jackie!!! I have all my charleston notes in my notebook. I am really looking forward to exploring the "low country". I wanted to go disney, but I am not at all disappointed about seeing a new part of the country. Hard to believe I have never set foot in SC or Georgia! :woohoo:

Lovin' your update so far... Your girls trip sounds so awesome! What a perfect idea - and the timing sounds right too. I might have to steal that idea, in about 5 years. :thumbsup2 Hopefully I make it that far - dds are in middle school now - talk about drama. :eek:

D~

Middle school? Oh - I am afraid you have years worth of drama left! :rotfl: I think it really is a great location for a girl's trip. I am keeping my fingers crossed for warm days and cool nights and lots of fun! If I love it I will go back with my DH in a couple years!

You have definitely been keeping yourself busy with various trip planning!!! :laughing: All of your plans sound great - I'm hoping the hurricane hadn't ruined your Williamsburg plans! Silly weather, always keeping us on our toes!

Sara - I was actually so freaking lucky on the weather thing (as you will see soon0. Yes - there were a few bumps in the road, but if I had picked some of the other locations I was considering there would have been NO trip! :rolleyes1 Stayed tuned for williamsburg part 1. I will be writing that soon!

I'm here, I feel like a terrible slacker due to the fact that I'm on Pg. 3 but at least I'm here now!!! :banana:

I'm here, I feel like a terrible slacker due to the fact that I'm on Pg. 3 but at least I'm here now!!! :banana:

WOO HOO! Welcome Leslie! So glad you are joining in for this one! :thumbsup2 I missed ya! :hug:

:rotfl:

that's a riot, I SHOULD do that.

I'm here and love the intro! Bring on Williamsburg!

Wait - I thought you DID do that! :rotfl:

Welcome Cynthia my former & future roomie!
Actually - wait - I think your bag is so magical that it calculates the usuable space FOR You! Right! ;)

Thanks for joining in! I will start posting W-burg pics very soon!

I'm reporting for duty MEK. Can't wait to hear about HHI and Williamsburg.

Welcome Glenn
Thanks for joining in! We really had a great time in Williamsburg. It was a blast. I just regret the trip wasn't longer, but I am definitely going back!

And I am really looking forward to HHI! I promise to take lots of pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter