Why no toll-free phone#'s?

Cheryl592000

Savvy?
I have always wondered why WDW has no toll-free phone numbers. :confused3
It's not like they are making money off of the calls coming in. I realize that there is a fee for having toll-free numbers but...
I know I can use my cell phone to call without being zapped huge $$$ but, just wondering if anyone has any info. :confused:

Here is my take:

Why should WDW do a toll free number when millions happily dial the regular number every day! :)

I don't think they get too many complaints and with so much online stuff now, I don't think this will change anytime soon.

I do feel sorry for the ones overseas though, the time changes must be brutal!

Here is my take:

Why should WDW do a toll free number when millions happily dial the regular number every day! :)

I don't think they get too many complaints and with so much online stuff now, I don't think this will change anytime soon.

I do feel sorry for the ones overseas though, the time changes must be brutal!

Agree with PP, why would WDW absorb the cost for all those tens of thousands of phone calls when we all so willingly dial thier number.

I think toll free numbers are used to encourage consumers to call.

Disney's customers seem to call anyway, so my guess is that they save 10's of millions of $$$ a year by not having toll free numbers.

Good for them!

They don't have one because they don't need it. People still call each and every day, and now with the go live of on-line dining, that is less people that will need to call.

You would be surprised at the number of calls on the old toll free numbers of people calling to ask to talk to mickey. I'm sure they still get some of that, but at least they don't have to pay for it. :)

besides nearly every cell phone and yes even land line plan nowadays has LD included.

There was one posted on the boards last year but when it got out and Disney was inundated with calls it was discontinued.

I agree they don't need one but it never hurts to improve customer service. It is not like Disney resorts are full these days.

If they are not going to have a toll free #, they at least need a computer system that does not take forever. I am continually amazed at how long it takes to deal with them. And I only make room only reservations. Any other vacation destination I call takes only a fraction of the time.

Well, I for one, have not had to pay for long distance for several years on both my land line and cell.

I don't know if this is Disney's rationale, but our company has direct dial numbers becuase international callers often have difficulty calling toll free numbers. There are whole areas of certian countries that simply can't call a toll free number in the US. :confused3

If they are not going to have a toll free #, they at least need a computer system that does not take forever. I am continually amazed at how long it takes to deal with them. And I only make room only reservations. Any other vacation destination I call takes only a fraction of the time.

I agree. It takes over 2.5 minutes to get through all the stupid menus and talk to a human, plus any wait time for an agent.

Then it always does seem to take the CM forever to look up what you need--they're always doing the "bear with me, my computer is running so slow!" line.

Anyway, I found a way around the problem. I just gave them tens of thousands of dollars to join DVC, and now I can call toll-free whenever I want! :laughing:

1) An 800 number would cost $15,000 per year (ours is about $13,000/yr).
. . . cost for the land line
. . . per-minute cost for all calls
2) Now, multiply that by hundreds of phone lines.

3) Now, companies have 800 numbers to get business.
4) Disney gets business without having to have 800 numbers.
5) Besides, if they did, people would abuse it.
. . . the first call might be revenue for hotels and eateries
. . . 2nd, 3rd, 15th, 20th, etc calls are to change ressies/ADR's
. . . these are not revenue generators, but just added cost
6) So, where is the benefit to Disney for 800 numbers?

I work in Telecom for a moderate size company that also happens to be a big Disney sponsor.

We have a couple dozen toll free numbers for different divisions and products.

Cost: $3 million per year. Disney's cost could easily exceed $25M or even $50M if they paid the cost of CRO and dining calls.

1) An 800 number would cost $15,000 per year (ours is about $13,000/yr).
. . . cost for the land line
. . . per-minute cost for all calls
2) Now, multiply that by hundreds of phone lines.

I am not sure about these numbers. A typical 800# costs roughly $25 for the number itself, depending on the provider. Disney is already paying for the voice circuits on the direct dial lines, so there is no incremental cost when adding a toll-free number there.

The big leap is the usage, for which Disney would pay for.

But, as has been mentioned, why spend any money at all on incoming calls when the calls will come anyway?

The Disboards is a great place to find out the biggest or littlest piece of information you might want to know about Disney....No offense but sometimes posters ask the most inane questions, they obsess about the smallest things, or ask the same questions that have been asked a million times before.

Thats all well and good on the Disboards because there's an army of Disney fans eager to answer our questions, but just think about if Disney had to man 1-800 lines to answer all those questions, it would probably cost a fortune.

Thats all well and good on the Disboards because there's an army of Disney fans eager to answer our questions, but just think about if Disney had to man 1-800 lines to answer all those questions, it would probably cost a fortune.

That's so very true. If someone had a toll free number to call, they wouldn't hesitate with any small question. They would call. They wouldn't wait to consolidate their questions, they'd call whenever something came up. With a toll call, that person thinks twice about making that call and will hopefully either research their question and find the answer themselves or wait until they have many questions and then call.

Can you imagine if Disney had a toll free number to call to find out park hours? That lines would get thousands of calls in a day when all you have to do is go to their website (which sucks, I admit) or to another source for that info. Or a toll free number to call to find out how much tickets cost.

besides nearly every cell phone and yes even land line plan nowadays has LD included.

Neither our home or cells did.

We just added LD to our cell phones last year (mostly for reason of keeping track of each other at Disney!!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter