Why no love for passholders on rates?

Sinclare said:
One thing that really bothers me in this thread is the "Disney is a company to make money and they have no obligation to treat AP holders good in any way, and as a matter of fact you should feel privilidged that they grace you with basics frame of mind"

Where the whole "it's just business" "mentality" looses all ground however is when your business gets bad. People who get hooked on certain places (wheter it be the Grand Canyon, Smoky Mountains, or WDW) go back regularly to get their fix. If they are denied their "fix" for long enough and find a different fix then thats where they will go back to. Sooner or later (and with gas prices going way way up it will be sooner) Disney is going to wish they had those addicted people wanting their fix back. And they lost them for what? A $20 a night cut on a value resort? Taking a away a few benefits that make your loyal customers feel special?

Let's face it, we're complusive and we like it that way. The "economics" argument? I just don't buy it. It's just bad business to make a quick buck over keeping longterm loyal customers (and it's especially bad when you're so greedy that you loose long term addicted customers). I do however see it everyday as I work around those kinds of people... Lets jack the customers if we can make the money, it doesn't matter to me if we loose them long term because all I really care about is getting my yearly XXX bonus for making it look like we increased our profits; heck I'll be gone and sitting on a beach in a couple years when this company fails but in the mean time I'm going to suck it for all it's worth.

Totally agree.

I personally think that Disney SHOULD treat ANY repeat visitor differently from the time you call the CRO to make a reservation. Why do they have that questions - "how many times have you visited..." anyways? The first thing after greeting you on the line - should be ... I see you visited WDW in ____ I hope you experienced the wonderful Disney magic and hope you can visit again soon. How can I help you today? Just a quick line about acknowledging your repeat business WOULD go a long way in mental treatment of the customer.

I didn't mean to say that i should be entitled to more just because i have an AP. What i was saying is that its a combination of factors. The discounts just aren't that good anymore, they closed the lounges. And it's not just about AP holders. 2 ticket increases in one year, a new season for value resorts, changes in the MNSSHP and MVMCP policies to name a few. New CM's just arent as friendly and magic a lot of the time the ominous new DDP list that exclued a LOT of restaurants for 2007. I don't think that Disney has just neglected the AP holders, i feel like they are neglecting all of us and turning away from the principles that Walt had for WDW. THAT is why i will probably take my $$ elsewhere next year.

I am a first year AP holder and I love it, I think it depends on your reasoning behind getting it in the first place. I bought mine because I planned a 7 day trip in April, a 3 day trip in May, a 3 day trip in June and another 7 day trip in April before it expires. I bought the DDE card and it paid for itself during the first trip. I did get a room discount for the trip in June. I am sure if I saw the decline in "perks" as some of your veteran AP holders have seen, I would be disappointed as well. But I thought the reason to buy it was to get a discount on admission to the parks, that's how it is mainly advertised, all the rest are not guaranteed "fringe" benefits.

On the other hand, for those that mention WDW is a business, that is true but it is in the business of entertainment and "makng people happy", so by taking away the little things that make people happy, one has to expect some grumbling. I personally would have loved to go to a special AP lounge or additional perks that don't exist anymore.

Now that we have moved to GA, I am debating getting Aps for the whole family. If I save $50 dollars or $500, saving money is saving money. I plan to make sure I get my money's worth, I tell you that much.

AP pass holder's perks will go through cycles like housing prices, and the price of gas.

its 2006... and Disney is very busy. Basically AP pass holders are good for taking up the slack when your park is slow, but they are not as desirable when you are selling every room and plenty of park admissions at full price or near capacity.

If only 5% of your money comes from selling AP's, you don't want your parks to be 20% full of AP guest during busy times thus displacing guest that are willing to pay full price for admission.

Disney has found ways to make the first week of Dec busy (Pop Warner) and the slow time in October more busy with (food and wine, and other events). Even Sept with free-dining.... so as Disney fill in its slow times.....
There is less need to offer AP guest extra perks.

They use their discounts as they need them to fill under utilized capacity. Its that simple :artist:

AP is a perk, but don't look for perks on perks durring good business times.

CarolA said:
Let me guess....

SOME of you whining about the discounts are the SAME ones making a SCENE at the park by telling the CMs YOU DESERVE SPECIAL TREATEMENT BECAUSE YOU OWN AN AP!!!! (Ever hear CM stories, do you know what they think of AP holders??? It's NOT pretty and this sense of "Disney should treat me better" is why.... )

I have had an AP for years, the ONLY "special" treatment I have seen "advertised" are things like the sneak previews and the opportunity to spend money on merchandise (LOL!) EVERYTHING else is available to EVERYONE in the parks. Even Discounts on rooms are offered to "other" groups (FL Residents, General Public, Disney Visa cardholders etc)

If you walk around Disney acting like some of you are on here with your sense of "I should be treated BETTER then others" no wonder you don't feel the magic....

*Deleted* Getting too worked up over this and I don't usually say things like that. I appoligze. Just came back to delete that, I won't be back to this issue. As the song says, Politics, Religion, and Her....add PH benefits to that list now.

As far as the CM issue, no I have never pushed the passholder issue with CM's or others a the parks. As a matter of fact, each trip I take down I SPEND MY OWN money on What Would Walt DO pins to pass out to CM's I see doing an exeptional job.

Edit:
I'm done with this thread as I've said my peace and it's not going to do any good anyways. The initial post was due to the "special passholder discount" being the same price as you could get just going to the webside for the same dates (general public prices). Money isn't really the issue, the real issue is respect for your loyal customers.

Sinclare said:
Money isn't really the issue, the real issue is respect for your loyal customers.
It is respect for ALL customers. The first time customer this year can become a future loyal customer too. So no reason to treat them as second class guests.

I just purchased my first AP ever - which I will activate the first week of December.. On that trip there will be myself, my adult DD, her DH, and my granddaughter.. I will also be purchasing the DDE when the time for the trip is closer..

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get an AP discount (or any other discount for that matter) for Pop because we're going to be there the first week of Dec. Could have probably switched to something else, but this will be my families first time staying at Pop and I know my DGD will love it.. (Not to mention that the bus service seems to be among the best..)

But the real reason that I bought the AP is because I will be going to Florida for 2 to 3 months right after C'mas and will be staying less than an hour away.. If I choose to, I could visit the parks every day and not even have to use the resorts.. Also, next fall - when SW pops up with their $39 to $49 Ding fares, I can just grab one and go for a short trip if I'm so inclined because my park admission is already paid and the airfare is next to nothing..

Would I like the room discounts? Sure.. But that was not the reasoning behind my purchasing the AP.. Just a full year of admissions is good enough for me.. :)

Sinclare said:
Money isn't really the issue, the real issue is respect for your loyal customers.

To be blunt, BS. Are you saying I'm not a loyal customer because I live halfway across the country and don't go as often, and therefore don't deserve what you get because you do? Or are you saying that Disney doesn't respect YOU because they don't give you the SURPRISE discounts they did a couple of years ago for not spending as much money as the people who don't get AP's?

It's about money and you know it. Now if you want to live high on the hog there you have to pay for it. If it wasn't about the money you'd go just as much and stay at the All-Stars, as would everyone else whining about the discounts not being as good. THAT would be a loyal customer, someone who was happy that their favorite company was doing so well that the discounts weren't needed any more and they would adjust their own expectations and be proud that their money helped them through rougher times.

pleasantly surprised that the thread hasn't turned into name-calling by now...good to see a lively debate last for a few days...appears as though a lot of us DIS'ers (shout out to the LGMH among us
teeth.gif
) are concerned about the future of AP percs...

repeat after me: a perc, is a perc, NOT a guarantee

aside from my DIS obsession MGM (Mouse Got my Money), one of the reasons I cruise this board is to get up-to-the-minute codes/discounts & money saving hints...to allow me to spread my vacation dollar farther/take more trips.:banana:

I don't think WDW owes me anything other than continued top notch service & a magical escape in exchange for my $. :confused3If you feel you're being slighted, by all means, vote w/your pocketbook.:thumbsup2

Will add that we're disney stockholders & are happy to see a profitable dividend each year.

I agree with BlindTyldak and mickeyfan2.

It seems as thought SOME AP holders want to be treated better than the rest of us.

I spend a LOT of money on Disney (not just at the parks, but in the stores, on movies, etc.)
I want to enjoy the DDP, so I will not be getting an AP. Does that make me less of a guest? Even though I am hoping to go twice a year?

I am just as special as an AP holder. I may go just as many times a year as one, just without the AP? Just because you bought an AP doesn't make you any better or more special.

CarolA said:
Let me guess....

SOME of you whining about the discounts are the SAME ones making a SCENE at the park by telling the CMs YOU DESERVE SPECIAL TREATEMENT BECAUSE YOU OWN AN AP!!!! (Ever hear CM stories, do you know what they think of AP holders??? It's NOT pretty and this sense of "Disney should treat me better" is why.... )

I have had an AP for years, the ONLY "special" treatment I have seen "advertised" are things like the sneak previews and the opportunity to spend money on merchandise (LOL!) EVERYTHING else is available to EVERYONE in the parks. Even Discounts on rooms are offered to "other" groups (FL Residents, General Public, Disney Visa cardholders etc)

If you walk around Disney acting like some of you are on here with your sense of "I should be treated BETTER then others" no wonder you don't feel the magic....

I don't think people are whining about special treatment because they own an AP. I think people are whining for special treatment because of the cost of the vacation.

If Disney wants to keep raising there prices, then fine, I'm ok with that. But, in the same token they better be raising there standards as well. This means rides and attractions better be functioning more often, Cast Members should go the extra mile, etc.

Rising costs to the consumer are fine, but now I think visitors to WDW are going to expect more and be less tolerable to error.

Here is what I think about the WDW Annual Pass.

As long as I continue to go to WDW as much as I do, I will buy the AP.

If I decide to stop going so much, I won't buy one.

Personally that decision isn't going to be based on whether or not I get a room discount. But, I'm a DVC member. I added on points so I could throw in a weekend stay here and there. I was disturbed that I could only book a preferred room at Pop Century so I called DVC this afternoon and booked into Old Key West. Problem solved.

I miss some of the resorts, though. I miss Pop Century. I want to stay there sometime, just not that particular trip.

CarolA said:
Let me guess....

This thread, so far, has been a great study in the emotions that people bring with them into the whole WDW experience. I agree with your thoughts, Carol.

I too have had the AP for years. I must admit that the first year I was an AP purchaser, I thought I was special. But, I NEVER thought that I should be treated better than anyone else who was in the park that day just because I was a AP holder.

My family will be visiting in late October and I too did the math, just as all of us do, about "codes" versus "AAA" versus AP. Unless I am mistaken after talking with the folks at CRO a few times, the AAA rate is about the same as codes and AP for value resorts. Does anyone disagree? If so, why?

Now, with this in mind, we WILL have a great time visiting once again. Not because of "AP" or "codes" or "AAA" but because it will be great to visit together.

Does Walt Disney World "owe" me anything just because I am an AP holder? I don't think so. Should I be courteous to Cast Members? I think I should. Should CM be courteous to me? I think so. Should courtesy be dependent on whether I am an AP holder? I don't think so.

Again, thanks to all on this thread for some entertaining and thought-provoking discussion.

We did get an AP rate for Thanksgiving! Compared to the past the rates are not as great as they have been but still we did get a rate of $130 per night at CSR (that is without tax of course). We spend every evening in PI so the Premium Annual Pass is something we do get our money out of. I do remember days when AP rates were better but to me it beats paying the standard rate that would normally apply if you did not have an AP. I guess, it depends on how much you want to go and what you are willing to pay. "Mickey" wins this time but with Millionaire gone and prices soaring... who knows if all inclusive vacations might be a possiblity in the future. After all.... we love WDW but as a Passholder the discount should grow stronger over time not weaken! IMHO
:banana: :banana: 91 days and counting till Cap'n Jack!

Boy this thread really blew up. Frankly I think this one is as bad as the pee in the bed one that was posted on the Resort forum. I'm a Florida resident about 6 hours away from WDW, we are taking our third trip this year. I get my Mickey Monitor every quarter, I think. I feel I've gotten some great discounts and I am pleased with my AP. WDW just sent me an on-line survey and I let them know that discounted price means the difference from statying on Disney property or off sight. The Orlando area has some great hotels and resorts.

We have traditionally gone to Disney 4-6 times a year. We aren't big park people, so for us, the draw of the AP has been the room discount. I wouldn't even get an AP, if I could get a discount Epcot in the evening ticket. I have AAA, and continue to get email codes, which gave me decent room discounts. Right now, the non expiring tickets will do it for us, over the AP rate, unless I see a really good room discount. I did not renew this year for the first time in years and years, and instead, I cancelled my next Disney trip, and I'm going to Hawaii and CA for two weeks. I suspect, without that AP making me feel I need to get my money worth by going many times to Disney, our trips to FL will dwindle, and we'll continue to see the rest of the US instead. So, in my case, Disney will be making less money, since without the AP, we aren't as inclined to go to Disney. And without the good room discounts, we aren't as inclined to get an AP.

DMRick said:
without that AP making me feel I need to get my money worth by going many times to Disney..

...Disney will be making less money, And without the good room discounts, we aren't as inclined to get an AP.
Disney will make more money if they can shift away from people that are coming mulitiple times to take advantage of their one-time purchase of an AP ticket, and mostly coming when they also get discounts on their rooms.

...if Disney can fill those slots instead with people paying full price for room and tickets.... its a win-win for Disney. Fewer people, paying more money, makes the parks more enjoyable in one way because its less crowded. :stir:

But, everything I read, keeps saying that travel demand is up, and Disney is seeing record numbers of bookings. popcorn::

I don't like when supply & demand work against me either. But this seems to be what's happening :moped:

I don't buy that. We eat out 3 meals a day, and always buy souviners. I am spending way more at their overpriced restaurants, than they would save on me paying more for the rooms, or the saving by using an AP. We almost always bring guests who also spend money (including on tickets, because I may get them a less expensive room, but they still buy tickets), But I really don't care. I'm glad I decided to go to Hawaii and other vacation spots. It's good to be out of the Disney rut.

Markstudy said:
Disney will make more money if they can shift away from people that are coming mulitiple times to take advantage of their one-time purchase of an AP ticket, and mostly coming when they also get discounts on their rooms.

...if Disney can fill those slots instead with people paying full price for room and tickets.... its a win-win for Disney..

rhiannonwales said:
And it's not just about AP holders. 2 ticket increases in one year, a new season for value resorts, changes in the MNSSHP and MVMCP policies to name a few. New CM's just arent as friendly and magic a lot of the time the ominous new DDP list that exclued a LOT of restaurants for 2007.

I agree. I thought the Value Resorts were supposed to be for families that wanted to stay on-site but could not afford to stay at the on-site, higher priced hotels. Well, now....the "Value" Resorts are running $109 per night during the summer.

Again....I understand supply and demand and I'm guessing that demand is up if they can fill 250 sq ft "Value" rooms at $109 and $119 per night.

So....I'll just hope for a discount or maybe hope that they start building sub-value resorts. Maybe 125 sq ft with a community bath at the end of each hall and no swimming pool with an hour bus ride to the parks. Then, when the sub-value resorts gets up to $100 per night....I'll just give up.....lol

Seriously....we will start exploring our off site options because $109 is not "value" to me.

Speed :teleport:

I agree with that. If I feel I am getting a great deal on my resort I will spend more in the parks too. One or two meals and bigger souviners for the wife and kids. Believe me with our third trip this year comeing up we have plenty of Disney stuff packing our shelves and curios I could easily say " not this time we already have plenty of Disney stuff". There is nothing stopping use from leaveing the resort grounds to eat out, I don't like doing it but we've done it before becuase of cost savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter