• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why no Castaway Cay?

Boardwalk Gal

Lean not on your own understanding.
I have been on DCL 8 times --including 3, 4, 7 nights, Panama and Translantic. My last cruise was almost 7 years ago. Every cruise i cruised on DCL ALWAYS stop at CC, in fact, some of the cruises-- we stopped twice to CC.

I am looking into DCL cruise in the next year or so. and i noticed not every DCL cruise stops at CC!! :scared1: I don't understand it--To me, it is one the highlights of the Disney Cruise!! It a very relaxing place to be, at an island where no one else is there but Disney people!

When did DCL stopped this? And why NOT every cruise but only certain ones??:confused3
I was thinking of Panama cruise again this september but no stop to CC!! Very disappointed!! :sad2:

Your last cruise was 7 years ago, before they had two more ships. Twice as many (more, probably, since Dream does two in a week) cruises to schedule. That's my guess.

The two extra ships is to much for Castaway Cay all of the time... The Dream alone has 8000+ people on the Island every week then add the Fantasy another 4000 thats a lot of people for the island...

However next year until April EVERY Disney Cruise will stop at Castaway Cay :)

I am looking into DCL cruise in the next year or so. and i noticed not every DCL cruise stops at CC!! :scared1: I don't understand it--To me, it is one the highlights of the Disney Cruise!! It a very relaxing place to be, at an island where no one else is there but Disney people!

As a general rule all the ships include a stop at CC. Its not a change in policy. There are some cruises where this isn't possible (European or Alaska), but any of the cruises to the Bahama's or the Caribbean from Port Canaveral will include a stop at CC.

When Magic was in Galveston, Texas it did not stop at CC. I guess it was too far away.

I have been on DCL 8 times --including 3, 4, 7 nights, Panama and Translantic. My last cruise was almost 7 years ago. Every cruise i cruised on DCL ALWAYS stop at CC, in fact, some of the cruises-- we stopped twice to CC.

When did DCL stopped this? And why NOT every cruise but only certain ones??:confused3
I was thinking of Panama cruise again this september but no stop to CC!! Very disappointed!! :sad2:

I put a complaint in that both my Alaska cruise and my Med cruise didn't stop at Castaway Cay.

:rolleyes1

We're cruising on the Wonder in October and our itinerary does not include Castaway Cay. We're on a 5 night out of Miami, we have stops in Cozumel and Grand Cayman instead, kind of bummed about it because we were really looking forward to Castaway Cay. However, this is our first cruise and I'm assuming it won't be our last, so I'm hopeful we can experience it on a another trip!

I put a complaint in that both my Alaska cruise and my Med cruise didn't stop at Castaway Cay.
:rolleyes1
We wrote on our comment card that Disney should invest in a private island or other private port for west coast cruises (Mexico, California, Alaska, Hawai'i). ;)

When Magic was in Galveston, Texas it did not stop at CC. I guess it was too far away.

Correct too far for the Caribbean cruises from Tx, when they did the itinerary that included a day at WDW there was a stop at CC. As well as when the Wonder took over in 2013 and began to do Bahamian itineraries it also stopped at CC (we did this one)

We wrote on our comment card that Disney should invest in a private island or other private port for west coast cruises (Mexico, California, Alaska, Hawai'i). ;)

:thumbsup2

They had one in Alaska but it kept melting.

:thumbsup2

I think your right, you had to get the trams from White Pass Whale Way station.- It was a pretty, 'cool' idea.

For the Dover runs in 2015, they will use Southend on Sea, Cabanas and fish and ( proper) Chips. :rolleyes1

Thanks all, i am glad i am not the only one who felt this way.

Obviously, i can understand not including CC for the Alaska cruise, or just the West Coast area but, for Transalantic and Panama heading back to Port Canerveral or even Miami, there no reason NOT to stop at CC.

One of you mentioned because of many ships and too many people, well, one of my cruises, we had both the Wonder and Magic side by side at CC!!

I am just esp. bummed about the Sept. panama or even a 5 night cruise out of miami that not included CC!!

It would be too weird for me on the next DCL cruise NOT stopping at CC!!!

...One of you mentioned because of many ships and too many people, well, one of my cruises, we had both the Wonder and Magic side by side at CC!!

One of them may have sailed by CC while the other was docked, but it is not possible for more than one ship to be docked at CC at a time.

Thanks all, i am glad i am not the only one who felt this way. Obviously, i can understand not including CC for the Alaska cruise, or just the West Coast area but, for Transalantic and Panama heading back to Port Canerveral or even Miami, there no reason NOT to stop at CC. One of you mentioned because of many ships and too many people, well, one of my cruises, we had both the Wonder and Magic side by side at CC!!

If a ship is scheduled to be at CC already, there's no way for a TA or PC ship to dock. And those special itineraries are already so long, it's not like they can just add another sea day while they wait for CC to be available. Or the ship may need to be in port to fit into its new itinerary schedule and can't spare the CC day even if CC is available. Only one ship can dock at Port Canaveral, as well, so that's a factor too. Sometimes the schedule just doesn't work out. :(

Thanks all, i am glad i am not the only one who felt this way.

Obviously, i can understand not including CC for the Alaska cruise, or just the West Coast area but, for Transalantic and Panama heading back to Port Canerveral or even Miami, there no reason NOT to stop at CC.

One of you mentioned because of many ships and too many people, well, one of my cruises, we had both the Wonder and Magic side by side at CC!!

I am just esp. bummed about the Sept. panama or even a 5 night cruise out of miami that not included CC!!

It would be too weird for me on the next DCL cruise NOT stopping at CC!!!

Can't happen. There is only one dock at CC. There have been times when a second DCL ship has anchored for a short time offshore. I believe the last time this happened was the Fantasy coming over from Germany after construction, and they may have even docked after the first ship left, to give the captain some practice at docking the larger ship...

The only day this stop could be added is on Friday 9/26, which is the regular (Fri-)day of the Fantasy to be in CC on its 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. No way that can be shifted. The Fantasy has its Port Canaveral day on 9/27, reason for the Wonder to dock in PC 9/26. It's simply not possible to add the CC day, given the current other itineraries.

You can make up however to to a BtB with the next Wonder cruise: 5 night Bahamian with CC double-dip. That would give you two CC days and 19 nights in a row on the Wonder, including the Panama Canal. The next two Wonder cruises are also DD, so how many days CC would you like? :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter