Why is this so hard?

MeredithJ

Mouseketeer
Why is it so hard to choose a resort? I have been reading these threads for months, and have decided on a resort, only to change my mind again when reading about another resort :badpc: My family has now decided to offer their opinions, and everyone wants to stay somewhere different, so it's not like we can go with the majority vote. :rolleyes1 Maybe someone here can shed some light on finding a happy medium, so I can finally make ressies :goodvibes

Our biggest dilemma is that we are a party of 5 (me, DH, DS15, DD11, and DD4), and I don't want to spend more than $200 per night, as our trip is going to be for 12 days in early August. Our last 4 nights will be at CR for a convention, so that is a done deal, and we will get to experience a deluxe for at least part of our stay. So that leaves us with 7 nights in 2 value rooms or 1 room at POR (which doesn't appeal to me at all....I know people rave about it, but it just doesn't strike a chord with me, and I don't know if the trundle will work for anyone other than the 4 yo, and DD and DS will NOT sleep together.) DD4 wants to stay at ASmo (the "doggie" hotel...Dalmations), DD11 thinks POP looks cool, DS15 didn't care until last night he tells me he wants to stay at a "fancier looking" hotel, like ones we have stayed in when going to Chicago, etc). DH would like to stay at CS (which is booked for our dates anyway, and out of the price range for 2 rooms), or the Swan/Dolphin, although he REALLY wants to stay at BC, which is definitely beyond our budget. I personally like CBR (again, too much for two rooms), and the Swan/Dolphin would probably work if we get a rollaway and a discounted rate.
I think I am selling DH on the idea of 2 value rooms since we will have some privacy :love: Now do you see why my head hurts :rotfl:

I am thinking that 2 rooms at Pop is probably a good compromise...DD4 can get her "doggie" fix with the lady and the tramp icons, DD11 will like it, DS will get his own bed (usually the girls share a bed and he gets the rollaway!), and DH will like the privacy part :rotfl: But then I think I should at least consider POR, because we would save money (1 room vs. two) and the water slides would be a big hit. And then maybe we could do a split stay between the two, but I think it would be hard to go from 2 rooms to one, and we are already making one move later to CR, so would two moves be too much? And then maybe I am an obsessive overplanner who should just make a decision already :rotfl2:

Does anyone have any thoughts, or at least some sympathy to offer a poor woman who is just trying to make everyone's dream vacation come true?

Thanks!

Meredith

I think I would definitely go for a value. You will get two bathrooms along with the two rooms. I think the extra room for all of you would also be a big plus. You will be there for 8 days at this resort so don't get too cramped. We have stayed at POP and really loved it. Our teenagers did too. We only stayed there for a few nights before we moved over to our disney vacation club reservation.

wow, well, I have an idea......how about booking an annual pass rate for a garden wing room at the Contemporary for the other seven nights? That would be less than $200 a night I think, and you would be in the same hotel for the whole vacation, even if you just had to move to a different room for the last 4 nights. Then just purchase an annual pass for one person in your party. To me that would be the easiest and most painless. And those Contemporary rooms are huge, either teen could sleep on the big daybed with no rollaway. And you'd be on the monorail the whole time.

I have tons of sympathy for you because I'm going through the same thing and my trip isn't until 10/!!

I stayed at Pop Century last October and loved it. I think you would like having 2 bathrooms!!

Another thought is the Wilderness Cabins if you have your own vehicle. I think they are very roomy and I believe they sleep 6! You're kids would have a great time I'm sure. There are tons of things to do at the campground!

Something else to think about is renting DVC points. You'd have to check the point calculator for your time frame but usually points are rented for $10 a point and you might be able to get a 2-bedroom within your budget. I know Sun. - Thurs. requires less points.

Good luck with your decision, I'd love to hear what you end up deciding!!

Have you tried to get convention rates prior to the convention? Often you can get them not only at the hotel of the convention but at other locations. I would call convention housing first.

We're also a party of 5 (me, DH, DS12, DS10, and DS6). I've gone from staying offsite (cheapest) to staying at the Swan (pretty cheap) to staying 2 nights at YC and 7 at the Swan, to now staying 2 nights at the Poly and 7 at YC (expensive). I also did not want to pay the high rates at the deluxes, initially. But I really like the looks of Poly and YC and now I'm just resolved to saving extra money here at home so I can afford it. I'm doing this by cutting back on the times we go out to eat (only once last week), spending less on the new clothes I want for spring, cutting back on our spring break, etc. Also, I identified some ways to save while we're at Disney - we're not going to do Hoop Dee Doo (that saves me $225 alone); we're going to split some meals; and we're going to eat breakfast in our room with food I bring. I'd rather spend the extra money on the nicer resorts than on these little things. Maybe you can stay at a deluxe for the same total price by adjusting some of your spending or saving some extra money.

You could always satisify your little one by visiting the ASMo to see the big dalmation.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time deciding. Once you do, it will be the right choice because I really don't think you can go wrong.

Our decision was easy because we are doing a Cat 6 cruise and I have a 6, soon to be 7 year old who absolutely LOVES animals. AKL was a no brainer.

Good luck on your decision and have a great time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter