• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is this board still here???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish people would come visit, maybe then they would see how the world has changed for us..

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Gulf states over the past year and will be returning for at least two more visits this spring. While I am not an American, I think that it is important for your fellow countrymen and women to see the slow pace of redevelopment, along with the struggles you face.

The drive from New Orleans to the Florida border is an amazing commentary on the situation. Side trips off the interstate are even more enlightening.

I recall someone posting elsewhere about how to avoid this route while driving to WDW from Texas - my thought would be that while it may be difficult to view the destruction, and supplies may rarely be difficult to obtain for the traveller, I would recommend taking the route for educational purposes.

Best of luck to you all - I look forward to returning to this region....

i agree, this boards needs a new name.

i don't usually read this board, but if it is about more than 1 storm i think it should have a name change

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Gulf states over the past year and will be returning for at least two more visits this spring. While I am not an American, I think that it is important for your fellow countrymen and women to see the slow pace of redevelopment, along with the struggles you face.

The drive from New Orleans to the Florida border is an amazing commentary on the situation. Side trips off the interstate are even more enlightening.

I recall someone posting elsewhere about how to avoid this route while driving to WDW from Texas - my thought would be that while it may be difficult to view the destruction, and supplies may rarely be difficult to obtain for the traveller, I would recommend taking the route for educational purposes.

Best of luck to you all - I look forward to returning to this region....

Thanks Bavaria!!! We appreciate your support!
It's sad that so many of our countrymen, would like to just forget about what's going on here.

Shovan, I suspect that many people think 'well, that happened in 2005 - that's almost two years ago, so how can it still be going on?'..... Of course, they don't realize that so many areas have not yet been touched in regards to clean up or rebuilding.

I don't watch much TV but do see the occasional story on CNN and hopefully the media can continue to remind the rest of your country that the Katrina impact is still very much ongoing.

Shovan, I suspect that many people think 'well, that happened in 2005 - that's almost two years ago, so how can it still be going on?'..... Of course, they don't realize that so many areas have not yet been touched in regards to clean up or rebuilding.

I don't watch much TV but do see the occasional story on CNN and hopefully the media can continue to remind the rest of your country that the Katrina impact is still very much ongoing.

I don't feel that has anything to do with it at all.

There was a show for awhile on HGTV about recovery efforts and it brought me to tears every time I watched it. It is no longer on and I sure wish it was. I am sorry to admit, but my DHs views were really colored by the looting etc that went on that was covered on the news and I don't see a visit in our future. I would like to figure out some way to help though.

The south has gone through alot.
the civil war.
and hurricane katrina.
The south is in the rebuilinding prosses

The south has gone through alot.
the civil war.
and hurricane katrina.
The south is in the rebuilinding prosses

:confused3 Apples and oranges. The War and Katrina have little in common. I'm not even sure where you would come up with that thought. Civil war 1861-65 and Katrina 2005.

Myst

You know what? With the climate change that's going on, I think you're going to find more people having to go through what those in the areas hard-hit this time are going through. If sea levels actually do rise to predicted levels, NO amount of levees is going to make a difference in the destruction. Many will lose their homes. I think we all must take a look at what happened here, and see it as a possible future for many more of us.

I'm glad this board is still here too. I check on New Orleans from time to time and plan to get back there as soon as I can. It still shocks me when I see how much the people of New Orleans, Biloxi, Gulfport and all of the other coastal areas from Florida and into Texas have gone through. And still continue to go through. :(

There was a show for awhile on HGTV about recovery efforts and it brought me to tears every time I watched it. It is no longer on and I sure wish it was. I am sorry to admit, but my DHs views were really colored by the looting etc that went on that was covered on the news and I don't see a visit in our future. I would like to figure out some way to help though.

Believe me, we were all affected by what we saw on the news! Unfortunatedly, some of it was true and some was not! We truly do appreciate any support!!! I will check around to see what's available (online) that you can do to help! I can't tell you how much we appreciate that there is some recognization of what we are dealing with here. I know the people of New Orleans will not quit! Thanks again!

GOOOO SAINTS!!!!!!

We think of you all often. We spent the week of Aug. 7 - 15, 2005 in Gulfport. We visited shops, restaurants, beaches and places of interest up and down the gulf from Biloxi to New Orleans. We had a wonderful relaxing vacation. It is so hard now to look at the pictures and realize most of the places we visited are gone. The condo we stayed in is now just a concrete slab, you can still see the swimming pool. We checked back with the website and found out that the manager and her family are safe but they don't think they will rebuild. My twins celebrated their 7th birthday at Marine Life enjoying the dolphin encounter. How sad that the whole complex was destroyed. I think watching the coverage on TV and now still looking info. up on the internet about the Gulf Coast has made us appreciate what we have and realize just how quickly it could all be gone. Good luck to you all and God bless!:hug:

The news may not be still covering whats going on with all of those affected, but you ARE remembered. I really hope that 2007 brings lots of progress for all those hit by the storm. :grouphug:

I live in Laplace, about 30 miles from New Orleans. My home and family are fine and I am truly blessed. I know a lot of people who lost everything and are still struggling to get their lives back together. The one thing I have heard so much over the last month is how much the Saints having a great season means to them. I hope this can bring back some of our New Orleans spirit. I am arriving in DWD on Superbowl Sunday and hope to watching the Saints from my room.

Geaux Saints!

By the way, I am glad this thread is here. It does make you remember that even though your life is "back to normal" we need to remember everyone whose life is not.

Bless all of you!!!

I live in Laplace, about 30 miles from New Orleans. My home and family are fine and I am truly blessed. I know a lot of people who lost everything and are still struggling to get their lives back together. The one thing I have heard so much over the last month is how much the Saints having a great season means to them. I hope this can bring back some of our New Orleans spirit. I am arriving in DWD on Superbowl Sunday and hope to watching the Saints from my room.

Geaux Saints!

By the way, I am glad this thread is here. It does make you remember that even though your life is "back to normal" we need to remember everyone whose life is not.

Bless all of you!!!

Welcome! We're glad to have you here! I agree about the Saints- they really have given everyone a little spring in their step, haven't they?

I am a long time lurker (and Disney lover..hehe). I saw this thread and just wanted to let you all know, that there has not been a day, since the hurricane, that you all have not been in my thoughts and prayers...everyone in Nola, the gulf coast and all effected by the hurricane.

I am not orginially from New Orleans, but I lived there for several years and still consider Nola my home. I have been visting Nola since I was a little girl and fell in love with the city then and knew one day I would live there. I did and there are many days I really don't know why I moved back home (B'ham, Alabama). I still have friends in Nola, some have went back, some still displaced and I visit several times a year. I always keep up with what is going on there through friends, Nola.com and I watch the news a couple of times a day on the net, on WDSU.com.

There is not a day that goes by, that I do not miss Nola, somedays so much I feel my heart actually aching. I just wanted you all to know, that I still give to the city, the people, by visiting, etc...I still think of you all everyday, you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

LouDisney, that was a very nice post. Thank you and all the previous posters who are still thinking of us.

I'm from NC, and went with my church to Moss Point/Pascagoula in Nov 2005 for a week to help rebuild. A lot of the same group made the trip again in Nov 2006 (to LA this time); I wasn't able to go due to other commitments, but when I talked to our minister he said it looked just like it did when we were there a year ago, and we would definitely be back. You have definitely NOT been forgotten by all of us, despite being out of the news. (I listen to NPR, which seems to remember more than the other networks.)

I'm glad the thread is still here - I check in from time to time just to see how everyone's doing, since I feel especially connected after spending time there. I feel like I have friends there, both from Moss Point and from the boards, and I'm truly concerned about how they're hanging in there. I breathed a sigh of relief when the 2006 hurricane season ended with nothing major!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter