Why is the end of August so much less expensive?

We always found 7-night cruises to be cheap in early December. We also booked a really cheap early/mid-January cruise. That is a popular time for KSF offers in the past also.

Good point on not planning around hurricane season. :thumbsup2 Does hurricane season mean the water is warmer?

My daughter will be starting college that Fall and that didn't even occur to me. Hmm.......looks like we're back to early August or even earlier. :sad: I want the least expensive. I might be better off trying for Spring Break though I'm guessing SB is also very $$$.

A couple of things:

Putting on my meteorology hat - the water warms in the spring and peaks Aug-Oct. What does that mean for hurricanes? A hurricane needs warm water to use as fuel for intensity. Warm water plus atmospheric instability = favorable hurricane conditions. That is why usually, the season picks up in August. To answer your question: yes, the water is warmer during hurricane season & why it's my favorite time to cruise.

Spring break prices vary because spring break varies. Ours is the 2nd week in March. Some people get the week before or after Easter. For WDW, we avoid it in March-first 2 weeks in April. For us, not worth the crowds since we are locals and can go anytime. Our spring break cruise is a bit higher than the fall/beginning of Dec., but $1600 cheaper than it would've been in Aug 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The schools in San Diego start back August 21st...at least where we live.

We are in San Diego and our school district (SDUSD) always starts back up the day after Labor Day, so not until September ;)

Generally any time kids are off from school prices go up and when kids are back in school prices go down. If you have a school closing when most others are open, that's when you can find a bargain. I've cruised at the end of August before and plan to do so again this year. I haven't encountered any hurricane trouble but I'll be purchasing insurance just in case. I also love the warm waters in August. You'll find warm waters from Spring to Fall, but I find August waters perfect.

No-it is due to basically NO school holidays other than President's Day in Feb. Oct is still considered hurricane season(June-Oct I believe), but Feb is not. Kind of a "After the holidays" lull in travel.

I bet President's Day week is higher. About 10 years ago the public schools here started taking President's Day week off, and while I don't know anyone who took a cruise, I do a bunch of folks here that go to Disneyland that week.
I was involved in Little League when they started that, we had parents demanding we ban practices that week since it was a school break. We declined, but warned coaches they could no penalize a kid who didn't show up for practice that week.

Guess it's no different that that Jersey Week thing where New Jersey schools take off the first week of November for a teachers conference. I guess Disneyworld see a jump in business that week. Not sure why they don't do what other state do and do the teacher conferences the week before, or the week after the school year starts.

Here in NYC the kids go back to school Sept 9th this year. I ALWAYS vacation end of August. I don't mind the heat and it's a nice thing to do before the whirlwind of school activities, homework, etc starts all over again.

We are in San Diego and our school district (SDUSD) always starts back up the day after Labor Day, so not until September ;)

That's the way school was when I was a kid. I guess some districts have shifted the start earlier so that kids take finals before Christmas break, instead of the third week of January like we did when I was a kid.

Here in NYC the kids go back to school Sept 9th this year. I ALWAYS vacation end of August. I don't mind the heat and it's a nice thing to do before the whirlwind of school activities, homework, etc starts all over again.

I agree. That's when I like to vacation too. Last year we got a beautiful cabin on Bear Lake for $25 a night. The same cabin runs $350 a night just a week earlier.

DD goes back to school after labor day. Last year we cruised the last week in August on the Wonder to Alaska. Ship wasn't even full and the price was much lower than even a week earlier. I was thrilled she starts late and we could take advantage of that.
In 2011 we cruised in her spring break in April. I didn't even check the cruise fares the weeks before or after but I can tell you we paid through the nose for airfare to Florida :mad:

No-it is due to basically NO school holidays other than President's Day in Feb. Oct is still considered hurricane season(June-Oct I believe), but Feb is not. Kind of a "After the holidays" lull in travel.

Storms start to stop end of oct to the first or second week of nov

That's the way school was when I was a kid. I guess some districts have shifted the start earlier so that kids take finals before Christmas break, instead of the third week of January like we did when I was a kid.

My understanding is that other districts in the area (like my niece and nephews) start 2 weeks earlier, but end up with 3 weeks vacation for winter break and 2 weeks for spring, where as my kids only have 2 weeks for winter break and 1 week for spring break. I love our school schedule. Even though my kids started school after their cousins, their last day of school is about a week earlier. I prefer my kids have the shorter breaks and a longer summer :beach:

Is that due to weather? Is there a bad weather season for the Caribbean?
We cruise on the Fantasy during the last week in August. The price was so much lower, weather was Fantastic
And our school, in SoCal, begin after Labor Day. So it's a great time to cruise.

We cruise on the Fantasy during the last week in August. The price was so much lower, weather was Fantastic
And our school, in SoCal, begin after Labor Day. So it's a great time to cruise.

I hope I can pull of a mid to late August cruise. Glad to hear the weather was great too. :thumbsup2

Glad to hear others like August. We are cruising late August this year. We decided to forego a day at WDW due to the humidity. We've done that before and it wasn't enjoyable. Going to enjoy the resort pool instead. Can't wait!

I agree. That's when I like to vacation too. Last year we got a beautiful cabin on Bear Lake for $25 a night. The same cabin runs $350 a night just a week earlier.

But if your oldest daughter is starting college, your days of late August vacations may be older. Many Universities start in August now too. Most Florida schools are just finishing up now, and will start again in early August.

Nancy

But if your oldest daughter is starting college, your days of late August vacations may be older. Many Universities start in August now too. Most Florida schools are just finishing up now, and will start again in early August.

Nancy

I'm afraid you're correct. Looks like it'll be early June, mid through late July, and up until mid August at the lasteat. Or Spring Break prior to HS graduation. Best start saving now. :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter