Why is the Dolphin and the swan more expensive then moderate resorts??

bullynj

Earning My Ears
We are looking at CBR or one of the hotels at Dolphin/Swan but they are significantly more money per night, is there something I'm missing?

I would think Swan/ Dolphin more of a deluxe catagory. Its not an official Disney Hotel.

Welcome - the Swan/Dolphin are owned by Westin/Sheraton, just lease the property from Disney. They do not abide by WDW prices but do offer many discounts that Disney does not. They both offer Gov't, Nurse, and Teacher discounts, as well as AAA/AARP, AP etc...
I am sure I have forgotten some other reasons, but hope this helps.

As pp said, they are not official Disney hotels (no ddp, no me) and they are run by names hotel chains. They are considered deluxe because of their location to two theme parks.

Ah! I understand, so there is not bus service then like CBR?

They have bus service but no Magical Express and no dining plan. Also, you have to pay to park there, even if you are staying at the resort.

They are more on par with Disney Deluxe, there is a parking fee, a nightly resort fee in addition to the room rate that includes internet and two water bottles. You can use Starwood points for a stay and earn points also. SPG will usually get you a small upgrade. Proximity to parks are much better than Disney moderates.

From what I have found the Swan and Dolphin are cheafouper than the deluxe resorts. I have found good deals and not much more than Pop.

As pp said, they are not official Disney hotels (no ddp, no me) and they are run by names hotel chains. They are considered deluxe because of their location to two theme parks.

They are deluxe hotels as the Sheraton/Westin Hotels are high end chains. I am starwood member and often stay at these 2 hotels on points before or after my dvc vacation. I have found service, food and location excellent and have enjoyed my stays there.

Connears

Between my wife's teaching job and my federal employment, we have been eligible for discounts at the Swan and Dolphin which put the total price well below the moderates. I have not watched the general prices closely in a while, but I've seen some "wow" prices at times posted through Mousesavers, etc.

Keep in mind the Swan and Dolphin is a luxury resort. Nothing against the Moderates which are great, but the Swan and Dolphin is definitely a step up in room quality. The beds are amazing. The pool area is incredible. And you are also paying for location. Being right on the Boardwalk and a short walk to Epcot (or a slightly longer walk to The Studios) is an important benefit.

The only thing the Swan and Dolphin lacks that some of the luxury resorts like GF have is the balcony with every room. It's still a great resort though.

Ah! I understand, so there is not bus service then like CBR?

There is bus service to all wdw areas and they also have boat service to DHS and epcot and are within walking distance to all BW area activities and epcot if you wish. DHS is a longer walk, so we opt for the boat.

Connear

Yes, bus service is provided to and from all Disney resorts and parks. You are always connected regardless of where you stay. But the Boardwalk area resorts (including the S & D) also have the benefit of boat service to and from Epcot/Studios and your resort.

Yes, bus service is provided to and from all Disney resorts and parks. You are always connected regardless of where you stay. But the Boardwalk area resorts (including the S & D) also have the benefit of boat service to and from Epcot/Studios and your resort.

Bus service is not provided from all resorts to all parks. Some resorts give their guests other transportation options - like a boat or the monorail, and bus service isn't provided. For example - there is no bus service from BLT to EPCOT - you are expected to ride the monorail there.

The Swan and Dolphin are beautiful resorts, and due to their location, sharing in transportation and extra magic hours, combined with the fact that the rooms are (in my opinion) of vastly higher quality than those at mods, values and quite frankly, many of the deluxes, I'm not in the least bit surprised that they're pricier than a moderate.
That said, you can often find great deals at the Swan and Dolphin and they offer discounts (last time I checked) for teachers, military and several other groups. They're not terribly popular on these boards, but I think they're worth a gander.

I've stayed at the Dolphin and most of the mods, and I like the Dolphin the best. The rooms are much nicer than the mods. It feels like a nice hotel whereas the mods feel like motels to me. Although, I wish the bathrooms were bigger and more updated at the Dolphin.

The reasons why we don't stay at the Dolphin, and we now stay at CSR, are purely logistical. I have a 5 year old, and we like having Magical Express (no car seats), we like the dining plan (we go during free dining), we like not sharing a bus with other resorts (at CSR), and we like having bus service to the front of Epcot, which is my son's favorite park.

If it were just me and my husband, I would pick the Swan or Dolphin over any mod.

Our room at the Dolphin in June is almost exactly the same price as a room at POFQ for the same dates. We used a teacher rate and have a King/Resort View/Balcony at the Dolphin. The room price at POFQ was for a King/Water View.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter