Why is T-Rex so hard to get a decent dinner time reservation?

AR81

DIS Veteran
My dates are August 2nd-7th. I didn't make my dining reservations exactly at my 180 day mark but did make them starting last week. I had absolutely no problem choosing between several different times for Chef Mickeys, Sci-fi, Ohana's, WCC and Le Cellier. For the days I wanted and like I said had a few options on times. The one adr that I really think my 8 year old son will enjoy, T-Rex, is booked solid for dinner all five nights that we are there. The only dinner time available is 4:00 which is when their dinner period begins. No 5:00, 5:30, or beyond nothing but 4:00 and then there are several lunch times available. This is really putting a kink in our plans because ideally we would still be resting/swimming at our hotel at 4:00 and not eat dinner til later. Well I went ahead and booked it since it was the only dinner time slot available. What would happen if we were late by about 30 mins or so? Do you think they would still honor our reservation or turn us away? Do you think I should try to call T-rex directly and ask them if there was anyway we could come later? I feel silly asking that but I really don't think we are going to be ready to eat dinner at 4:00 even with a light lunch. Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe have dinner times available 7ish which would work better but really wanted to try T-Rex. Any advice? Thanks

You need to call them directly on their phone number. They will have plenty of open reservations for almost any date you want.

oh crap! thanks. Do you think it's ok to call them this early? Do you think they are going to think I am crazy since it is 5-6 months away?:lmao:

I forgot to say thank you. I appreciate the info. I am a newbie, first time onsite and dining plan and I guess I was completely trusting the online dining reservation system to be the most accurate. Thanks again.

Thank you thank you! Just worked for me for my May 26th reservation! I was able to book a 6pm when the only thing they had online was a 3:30. Now if only this would work for Ohana.....

That has always been our experience as well - you can't get a normal dinner time through the Disney system but there's plenty of availability if you call the restaurant directly. It is a fun place to eat for sure. Look for a Hidden Mickey in the tentacles of the giant squid/octopus above the bar!

SO, regardless of how my reservations are made (via Disney reservations online or calling TRex directly) if I have free dining, it shouldn't make a difference? I've never called the restaurants directly before, so I know this sounds silly. Just want to make sure my free dining would still be honored, regardless of how my reservation was made. :confused3

SO, regardless of how my reservations are made (via Disney reservations online or calling TRex directly) if I have free dining, it shouldn't make a difference? I've never called the restaurants directly before, so I know this sounds silly. Just want to make sure my free dining would still be honored, regardless of how my reservation was made. :confused3

It does not matter. You don't call other restaurants directly, though - AFAIK, T-Rex and Big River Brewing on the Boardwalk are the only ones that take reservations directly like that.

Whether you have the dining plan and whether it is free or not makes absolutely no difference regarding making reservations. When you call to make a reservation the restaurant doesn't have the slightest idea how you plan on paying for the meal, and they don't need to know, unless it's a prepaid reservation like CRT or a dinner show.

T-Rex is not operated by Disney and they are not located inside a theme park. They just do things differently. They release very few of their tables for booking through Disney's system, so you often do better with dates and times if you call them directly. You cannot do this with Disney-operated restaurants, or restaurants inside theme parks. Reservations for those are made exclusively through Disney.

Not sure if I came back to this thread or the other one that I started. But yay I got a 7pm for Aug 6th. But the lady I talked too said that this far out I could get any time. I might call and change it 7:30. I definitely want this particular night. I am excited. I know my 8 year old is going to love it!!

Yes, call them directly. Or, we just show up (we are part of the Landrey's Club) and get in within 5 min.

Yes, call them directly. Or, we just show up (we are part of the Landrey's Club) and get in within 5 min.

That may change as more and more people find out its part of the 2012 DDP. I would expect it to be booked solid as time goes on. The only reason I didn't do it in the past is because it's not on DDP and it's one of my must-do highlights of our upcoming trip.

I just called them and was was able to get a dinner reservation for 4/21. I thought that this soon is may be booked and I asked for times around 8-9 and they had everything available in 15 minute increments. No credit card or dining plan info needed either.

T-Rex doesn't take the dinning plan. We were there last August and had to pay cash..... Rainforest Cafe is another one. They only take the dining plan if you have the deluxe plan. The normal plan and the QS plan are not accepted there.

T-Rex doesn't take the dinning plan. We were there last August and had to pay cash..... Rainforest Cafe is another one. They only take the dining plan if you have the deluxe plan. The normal plan and the QS plan are not accepted there.

Dining plan is accepted with the 2012 plan.

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread... it has been very helpful:love:

After booking all our Reservations over the phone with Disney (which was a great experience, really!) They were unable to give us any decent times for dinner:confused3.... so I called the direct number that was posted earlier in the thread(407-828-8739)

We were quickly and easily booked at basically anytime we wanted which again was not available throuh Disney... only needed Name and Phone number, no credit card hold and no asking if we were on DDP or anything!

Thanks again for the thread!:banana:

This is most excellent! I had the same problem today at the 180 day mark. We made a halfhearted ADR for Rainforest instead just to have somewhere to eat in DTD. I'll call tomorrow and let you all know how I make out!

Thanks it worked beautifully! No problem getting my preferred time of 6:00 when I called the restaurant directly.:yay::yay::yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter