Why is Stormalong bay closed?

mlrl2288

Earning My Ears
DVC Gold
I'm just curious but does anyone know why this is closed? At Copper creek both main and quiet pools are open?

BCV is not closed. Isn’t that the same thing at Copper creek

Sorry Beach Club and Yacht Club are closed (for now). There is speculation that when the NBA teams (the lower seed) comes to YC, they will get to use Stormalong Bay.

Are you saying the main pool at Wilderness Lodge is open?

Sorry Beach Club and Yacht Club are closed (for now). There is speculation that when the NBA teams (the lower seed) comes to YC, they will get to use Stormalong Bay.

Main pool is. But it also supports both VWL and CCV.

I don't know that any pool at Wilderness Lodge is closed. Both are open.

BCV is not closed, all DVC resorts are open But nottheir hotel side counterparts. All pools at Copper Creek are open and the other pool at BCV is open. Nobody quite knows why SAB closed and there all sorts of theories out there. It could just be because 1/2 of it is shared with a non-DVC property which is not currently open.

BCV is not closed, all DVC resorts are open But nottheir hotel side counterparts. All pools at Copper Creek are open and the other pool at BCV is open. Nobody quite knows why SAB closed and there all sorts of theories out there. It could just be because 1/2 of it is shared with a non-DVC property which is not currently open.
More than half, really. When you look at unit counts, I think BCV accounts for about a third.

It is a wildly expensive pool to staff and upkeep when all three resorts are open and using it. When BCV has to pay the whole way for it, I don't think the average owner would like what happens to their dues.

We had a relaxing resort only stay booked for BCV, with Stormalong being our favorite pool in July. Once we heard about the NBA, we decided to switch..surprisingly was able to get a preferred view studio at Riviera. Excited!:yay:

I hope your enjoy your stay at Riviera, I hope you will come back and let us know what you think. Enjoy your trip! :tink:

Reading the posts about how empty it is at WDW kind of makes me want to go but I really HATE the extreme heat in FL at this time of year so I guess I will just stay put for now. Also FL still has a travel ban on travelers from NJ although I think you can get around that but I don't care to be a law breaker...:scared1:

Because I became curious and had finished my second coffee and told the kids to get along for 10 minutes, I thought I'd look real quick.

• Yacht Club: 630 units
  • BC hotel: 583 units
  • BCV: 282 units (when all 2BR LO are used at studio + 1BR)
BCV's unit split is 36 dedicated studios, 74 LO 2BRs, 20 dedicated 1BRs, and 78 dedicated 2BRs.
I'll assume an average occupancy of 3.5 in a studio, 4 in a 1BR, and 6 in a 2BR, so figure occupancy of between 1200-1300 guests if all units are booked, with all LO as LO - and dues contributing to certain amenities like the pools are based on guest count/potential guest count, which has always been one of the controversies of the studio conversions to sleep 5.

BC/YC assuming 3.5 per unit, ignoring all the suites because I am doing lazy math, is a bit over 4000 guests. Again, this is a completely made up number, as I'm sure a non-zero number of solo guests and couples use BC/YC (and BCV), but especially YC due to conference blocks.

But I think it safe to say that BCV dues pay about 25-35% of the cost of running SAB, and so long as YC and BC are closed, it is financially challenging to open SAB for the DVC guests alone.

I don't know that any pool at Wilderness Lodge is closed. Both are open.

There is a main pool for Wilderness Lodge, the hotel that has 700+ rooms.....the one with the water slide. Then a boulder ridge pool for their 125+ rooms. So that’s surprising that the main pool is open.

There is a main pool for Wilderness Lodge, the hotel that has 700+ rooms.....the one with the water slide. Then a boulder ridge pool for their 125+ rooms. And a copper creek pool. So the two DVC pools are open?

Only two pools. Copper Creek doesn't have its own pool. WL as a whole, all of it, has two pools total.

BRV is 181 units total available, CCV 246. But they share with a very small hotel (430 units), and the two pools are considerably smaller and thus cheaper to staff than SAB.

Only two pools. Copper Creek doesn't have its own pool. WL as a whole, all of it, has two pools total.

BRV is 181 units total available, CCV 246. But they share with a very small hotel (430 units), and the two pools are considerably smaller and thus cheaper to staff than SAB.

I'm glad to hear that the Wilderness Lodge pool is open cuz I'll be there for part of my stay in September! I was trying to figure out if I should move over to BLT to have access to the monorail loop and be within walking distance to MK (if I'm lucky to get park reservations)...

Still crossing my fingers that SAB will be open in early September too

The pool at BC/YC takes about 10+ lifeguard to patrol it. Others just 2 or 3. That's a big cost difference especially when only about 19% of the rooms are available.
Agreed, But the cost of those 19% are exactly the same as if SAB was open. They need to offer a good discount to make up for it.

Agreed, But the cost of those 19% are exactly the same as if SAB was open. They need to offer a good discount to make up for it.

DVC can’t discount point stays because the pool is not part of the DVC ownership.

It belongs to the hotel side. And as long as the pool is closed, DVC owners are not being billed for their share.

Not really. If you bought into DVC at Beach Club, you didn't buy Stormalong Bay. You don't pay for that in your dues. You can choose not to go while it's closed.

Answered and then saw your new post above!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter