Why is Ohana so popular???

freepixie

<font color=deeppink>Tanoshi<br><font color=green>
We went to Ohana's many many many years ago, probably the first year it was open - we actually got a free meal due to a problem with our room at the Poly. We thought it was OK at that time, and have never gone since due to the price (we always pay OOP)

Fast forward to the here and now - we are going for free dining this fall to coincide with the TOT 10-Miler weekend. So we thought, hey, let's try that Ohana since we can't afford it during any other trip, let's do it on the free dining!

And as you can guess, no way to get an ADR :lmao:

So, I have to ask, why do YOU like Ohana's? I really want to know why there is no ADR??

'Ohana is my favorite restaurant at WDW!

I think it's just because it's the type of food I like. I enjoy grilling out. The accompaniments (noodles, veggies, etc.) are excellent as well. Also, both times I've been there, I've had a window seat during Wishes, which was a truly magical experience (especially the first time as it was unplanned).

Having 3 young kids we always do dxdp and like to do a relaxing out of park dinner each night.
Ohanas is perfect for us-

1. Our kids love shrimp, and steak- not available on most ki's menus.
2. Kids can go and play.
3. Bread pudding!

We love all courses and find it to be fun.

I always suspected the popularity came from them offering unlimited meat & shrimp. Personally, I think the quality of the food is low. It is unlimited though for those who want that.

I think the food is OK, but it's not a must do for us anymore. I love the grilled shrimp, wings, and potstickers, but the rest of the food is just OK. The bread pudding for dessert is excellent though. We don't go anymore because the food is just OK, service is usually subpar, and it is very, very loud. There are games for the kids, great if you have kids not so great if you don't. There is also a lady who sings, most like her but we don't.

I think the food is OK, but it's not a must do for us anymore. I love the grilled shrimp, wings, and potstickers, but the rest of the food is just OK. The bread pudding for dessert is excellent though. We don't go anymore because the food is just OK, service is usually subpar, and it is very, very loud. There are games for the kids, great if you have kids not so great if you don't. There is also a lady who sings, most like her but we don't.

Love the welcome bread!!!!!! The bread pudding is to die for. I don't even like bread pudding, but this stuff is heaven sent.

tis will be my first visit to Ohana's when we go in May. I have read great things about it... the coconut broom races and hula hooping appealed to me because of the ages of my kids. And for me... the shrimp!!! DH... the fact that it's all you can eat and also the location. We've booked a late ADR so we can watch Wishes from the beach after our meal :D

I. Think it's a fun family meal , full of a lot of food , it's definitely more of a group meal I think , not my favorite place , but everyone should try it

It's so popular because it's SO good :love:. We just got back and ate there and NO complaints on anything - everything was excellent :) Asked for our steak med. rare - no problem - all the meats were moist and delicious and I could eat the wings and noodles all night :woohoo:

->I think it's a combination of factors...obviously the setting is nice, it's convenient to MK and is a fireworks viewing spot (i.e. since the dim the lights and pipe in the music OR you can easily head to the Poly beach from there).

->It's also a fun meal with activities that doesn't involve characters, so it's good for families who are seeking a break from that sort of dining.

->And while the food quality isn't that of a Brazilian steakhouse (leave WDW and go to Fogo for that- around $42pp @ the Orlando location)- it takes the same concept of unlimited meat on skewers and puts it on WDW property. We also loved the pork dumplings and the bread pudding did live up to billing.

->While not cheap, when you compare it to the price of the character buffets and some of the other popular non-signature meals...it's actually one of the cheaper meals. So a lot of people use it as their OOP splurge or if on DDP, some people look at it as a meal to pay OOP if they go over their # of credits.

'Ohana is an odd place I love love it. We are eating there twice this trip. The meat is excellent always has been hot and moist for us. I love the dipping sauces. The wings are incredible and the salad is the best on property. The dessert is a problem for me as I cannot jam enough of it down my throat because of all the other stuff I have eaten and it does not fit well in your pockets. The service is excellent we have always had 2 servers taking care of our table. The food is delivered fast as it is already prepared since everybody eats the same thing. It is the only place that we regularly tip more than the 18% automatic gratuity (we are a family of 6).

Now on the other hand, there are people who HATE this place with a passion. I have heard things like the food is cold and the meat is tough. It is too loud. I felt rushed. There was a bug in my salad. My server was non existent. They wouldn't let me sit at a table for 3 hours so we could see Wishes even though we had not eaten a thing for 2 hours. I have been to 'Ohana 4 times and each time was worse than the last. :confused:

I forgot one more thing on the plus side. So now you are so full that you can barely walk, downstairs at Captain Cooks they service Dole Whip. ::yes::

We love Ohana's!! Great atmosphere, food (especially the bread pudding :blush:) and yummy drinks (lapu lapu). We got our ressi's for 12 of us in October and can't be more excited!! It was our must have ressi!! Keep checking for an ADR there are always cancelations...it's def. worth it!!:lovestruc

I think its because your food is unlimited and your kids can get up and play with mickey :offtopic: I think Ohana's is a complete waste of money for people who dont have kids and dont like to eat to much:offtopic: and there food tastes like its been dumped in the loo:stir:

I always suspected the popularity came from them offering unlimited meat & shrimp. Personally, I think the quality of the food is low. It is unlimited though for those who want that.

Our Ratings of Ohana: (1/21/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Used to be highly rated. However, the food
quality has severely deteriorated over the past year.
For food quality, select another restaurant.

We ate there a few years ago and I still crave it all the time. I think it's the best restaurant meal I have ever eaten, the noodles are amazing. I'm going to be really sad if they don't have those anymore.

Thanks everyone for your insight!! I will still keep trying to check ressies, been checking a couple times a day when I get a moment to see if something opens up :goodvibes

Thank you ::yes::

We LOVE Ohana! I don't even care about the meat. I just love the noodles, pot stickers, wings and bread pudding! LOL but the meat is great also!! I am always craving their food.

I forgot one more thing on the plus side. So now you are so full that you can barely walk, downstairs at Captain Cooks they service Dole Whip. ::yes::

And since it is self service you can have as much as you want.:rotfl2:

My son put it best. The secret of 'Ohana is to eat until you feel like you're going to explode and then order one more serving of the Bread Pudding.:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter