Why is mango gone from the fresh fruit area?

mattmommy

Mouseketeer<br><font color=green>My DS loves rice.
I discovered my love of mango (not the SNL character) on DCL in 2001. Love it. Loved the fact that somebody else cut it up too. This July they had no mango :confused3

I begged one guy and he found one and put it aside for me. I felt like a thief in the night trying to hide it. My guess is that they're too expensive.

The other fruit was great, but I miss my mango. The mango soup was excellent. Had that twice.

Or the possibility of someone getting mango servers mixed with other utensils and someone getting really sick. Mango is a very big allergen in some people. I am glad it is gone. I never felt comfortable with it on the table with other fruit.

I'm guessing its a cost or availability issue, and it will be back on board soon. For very selfish reasons, I'd be happy to see it go. for some reason, many people who are allergic to tree nuts, esp. cashews and pistaschios, are also allergic to mangos. There is some cross-reactivity with the proteins. since my dd is allergic to nuts, it would be one less thing to worry about. (But oh my gosh, isn't ripe mango the best !! )

Talking Hands said:
Or the possibility of someone getting mango servers mixed with other utensils and someone getting really sick. Mango is a very big allergen in some people. I am glad it is gone. I never felt comfortable with it on the table with other fruit.

I am a mango lover and had never heard of this. But a quick google shows there is some validity to your statement.
Apparently , for those very sensitive to poison ivy the mango skin can be irritating.

Now..... since I REALLY love mango and the allergy is only irritating and not dangerous at all I say give me my dang mango!!

(note the wink at top of the post before you crucify me)

Edited to add: In my very limited research....if it's just the skin that can irritate I believe the chance of an outbreak from cross-contamination of serving utensils is remote at best. And (again I only read a few snippets), but it doesn't sound as though a great percentage of people would have any concern whatsoever.

But I would certainly be interested in any additional info if you have it.

Pick me, pick me!

I have the mango/poison ivy cross-reaction! :sad:

It took several years to intensify to the point that I have to avoid mango. Our Magic and Wonder cruises in '02 helped to pinpoint it.

When I do encounter mango and eat it (accidentally now), I have to have a cortisone shot, I am in agony and basically non-functioning as a person with household responsibilities! ;)

I am also allergic to berries with seeds on the outside, but can eat a few (strawberry, raspberry, etc. I can eat blueberries)

I miss mango soooo much!

Par8hed said:
I am a mango lover and had never heard of this. But a quick google shows there is some validity to your statement.
Apparently , for those very sensitive to poison ivy the mango skin can be irritating.

Now..... since I REALLY love mango and the allergy is only irritating and not dangerous at all I say give me my dang mango!!

(note the wink at top of the post before you crucify me)

Edited to add: In my very limited research....if it's just the skin that can irritate I believe the chance of an outbreak from cross-contamination of serving utensils is remote at best. And (again I only read a few snippets), but it doesn't sound as though a great percentage of people would have any concern whatsoever.

But I would certainly be interested in any additional info if you have it.

My daughter has a severe allergy to Mango. Also to peaches (and did you know that almonds are related to peaches?) She avoids any sort of tropical fruit now (and we have an epi pen around in case of any accidental ingestion.)
Sue Ellen

another common food that is related to latex allergies as well as some nut allergies is bananas..... :banana:

i really think the issue is more related to supply...

no offense, but if disney was really worried about allergies, shellfish, nuts, and strawberries are way more common yet they "sneak" these into alot of dishes and cross contamination of utensils is not closely monitored. unfortunately, people with allergies have to be SO CAREFUL these days! i know it really limits what you can enjoy......

Earlier this month, my DMIL had huge plates of mangos delivered to her room first thing each morning and a plate as soon as we sat down to dinner each evening. She just asked for it and they loved accommodating her.

Also, another factor to consider is that DCL chefs are just like any other quality chef. If a load of <insert fruit or vegetable here> doesn't meet their quality standards on inspection, they will reject and replace it with something else. Thus, if on your cruise the Mangos were overripe, not sufficiently ripened, or did not have that sweet taste, the Chef may have rejected the shipment.

We are just back from the Magic and they had Mango at Goofy's and I believe on the buffett also. I really like Mango, but I do have tree nut allergies.

The fruit at Goofy's is no longer self serve (it was on the Wonder last year) It is in a glass case on separate plates, and the CM serves what you ask for. This may have been done to address allergies or other health concerns. It was a very nice setup.

I just figured out last month that peaches made my lips breakout. I didnt know they were related to Almonds! I cant eat almonds.

pclaire said:
I'd be happy to see it go. for some reason, many people who are allergic to tree nuts, esp. cashews and pistaschios, are also allergic to mangos. There is some cross-reactivity with the proteins. since my dd is allergic to nuts, it would be one less thing to worry about. (But oh my gosh, isn't ripe mango the best !! )

Sigh...the "tyranny of the minority" food thing again.

The incidence of MD diagnosed (ergo, true) nut alleries is very low, at best about 1.5% of the total U.S. population (please, no weak "rebuttal" posts trying to debate that proven statistic, I don't want to bore others by burying some food police type with links to statistics).

While I'm sympathetic to the problem those with such allergies face, a minority that small shouldn't dictate what the overwhelming majority can and can't eat (particularly on a cruise, where the percentage of passengers with nut alleragies is probably even lower than that in the general population).

So,
BRING MANGO BACK!!!!

our family love mango and eat alot of it ! PLEASE bring it back for the 19th Oct cruise !!!

What other fruit is available at the buffetts or room serivce?

Okay everyone, let's calm down. According to other posters on this thread, it doesn't necessarily appear that it was gone for good, it was just gone at the time of the OP's cruise.

LIFERBABE said:
I just figured out last month that peaches made my lips breakout. I didnt know they were related to Almonds! I cant eat almonds.

Lifer,

Since i've been real little I've been allergic to Peach skins (Dm is too)... I can eat peaches themselves just nothing with fuzzy part on it.

I'm good with nuts/almonds/ and just die thinking of the fresh mango they have onboard the ship and at CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter