Why is it packed now????

LENNON500

Mouseketeer
So we've watched the wait time for over a month.....every one walking onto rides, empty park pictures, and we arrive yesterday to a day at MK that rivals Christmas crowds..... All we heard was there were a few conventions going on..... Anyone else here now and in shock like we are?

Food and Wine combined with the ToT race last weekend and Columbus day weekend next weekend (which also coincides with a lot of school breaks nowadays) makes this normally the most crowded weekend from mid-August to Thanksgiving. Generally the two weeks around it are the most crowded of the season. This shouldn't be a surprise.

In our area it is fall break week for schools. Several friends were headed to WDW.

Yesterday was a level 5, according to easywdw, and MK was the LEAST recommended park...

"Magic Kingdom is going to be busy today. Mondays are usually the second busiest day of the week at the Magic Kingdom, second to only Saturdays, for a variety of reasons. First, a lot of people travel over the weekend and visit Magic Kingdom on their first full day. In most instances, that day is Monday. Second, Mondays often feature longer hours, Wishes Fireworks, and Main Street Electrical Parade, when other days during the week have shorter operating hours and don’t offer the Electrical Parade. Anyone who wants to see the evening entertainment will have to visit on a day when it’s offered, like most Saturdays and Mondays. You can do okay if you arrive at the gate by 8:30am and tour efficiently in the morning, but 11am – 9pm is going to be busier than any day this week other than Saturday."

September has some of the lowest crowds of the year (which is why the recent short wait times), but it's now October which is becoming increasingly popular. Plus, isn't Columbus day is on Monday? Long weekends usually draw bigger crowds.

IMO there are only very few truly "empty" park weeks anymore but they are certainly not in October. We found that out the hard way last year.

We went last year around this time and it was very crowded. At that time the crowd levels were 3's, but we thought they were much higher than that.

So we've watched the wait time for over a month.....every one walking onto rides, empty park pictures, and we arrive yesterday to a day at MK that rivals Christmas crowds..... All we heard was there were a few conventions going on..... Anyone else here now and in shock like we are?

OP, have you been during Xmas? I would bet that it would shock you even more - way more crowded than it is right now.

But in general as PPs have said, there are very few really low-crowd times anymore - maybe just in September. Now it is already almost Columbus Day weekend which brings lots of people in.

We went two years ago on the week after Columbus Day. While we planned well and didn't have to wait long for anything, there definitely were some times where I was amazed by how crowded it was and couldn't imagine how it could get much more crowded (but it can).

:)

because now starts the Columbus day/school fall break/convention season. Wont go down again for awhile. And there's no way these are Christmas crowds. Christmas/New Years are the most crowded time of the year.

and there is no MNSSHP today so folks who don't have party tickets will take advantage of that.

More schools are moving to a more balanced schedule which gives them one or two weeks off in October. That, coupled with yesterday being one of the few nights this week that Wishes and MSEP ran. Mondays in MK are usually the busiest weekday for the park.

Touring plans gave the Magic Kingdom a predicted crowd of 7 for yesterday and observed crowds of 7 (that would seems to match up with easywdw's 5 overall + least recommended park). Jungle Cruise and Pirates though seemed to have a longer wait than expected for that crowded of a day. Peter Pan, Space Mountain and Pooh had shorter waits.
http://touringplans.com/magic-kingdom/wait-times/date/2014-10-06

At least according to Touring plans, it looks nothing like a Christmas.
Christmas sees Crowds for Space Mountain of 140 minutes most of the afternoon. Yesterday, posted wait times briefly peaked at 90 minutes.

Yup, we went around this time last year and we were surprised to see the crowds too. Live and learn I guess!

I agree with those who say there is barely any "slow" times anymore. I thank the internet for that :rotfl:--so many use sites like these for advice on the best times to go, etc--no surprise that the secret is out. That is why I am not holding my breath for the first week of December! While I have been told my many that the crowds are minimal, I won't believe it until I see it. :)

We had lots of waits when we were there two weeks ago. 45 minute standby wait at Pirates and Buzz on a Monday afternoon. Sure wasn't what we were expecting.

As a Florida resident, we have had very nice weather over the week end. Less humidity, so that always brings out the locals. I went to Busch Gardens Sunday, crowds were low and weather beautiful.

I agree with those who say there is barely any "slow" times anymore. I thank the internet for that :rotfl:--so many use sites like these for advice on the best times to go, etc--no surprise that the secret is out.

I feel the same exact way with this! The secret is definitely out and the internet is a big part of that! ::yes:::rolleyes2

We find October to have a moderate crowd with Columbus weekend being busy. Yes as others said, conferences, sporting events, free dining, parties and promotions. We find it hard to get decent rental car rates. We have to book our dvc room at the 11 month window to get a room where we want to be. We will be there for the last two weeks of October and expect crowds.

:rolleyes2 If the OP thought yesterdays crowd rivalled Christmas, then they haven't been there at Christmas. If you are going to go to MK on a Monday, especially while hard ticket parties are running several times a week, then you are going to see crowds. If you ignore the recommended parks on crowd calendar sites, you only have yourself to blame. Epcot, even with F&W going on would have been a much wiser choice.

I am in Kentucky, and many of our schools are on Fall break this week. Many families in this area head down to Disney or the Gulf coast during this week every year. (as I'm stuck here at work!)

Weve been going in Sept for the last few years usually the same week (this year Sept 19-27). First of all Disney moved the F&W festival up 1 week so the first day was our first day. Usually it starts the last day of our vacation so I wasn't really happy about this. Every year since the free dining promotion started it gets more and more crowded. I don't think people care about taking their kids out of school anymore. This last trip I saw so many infants I was surprised. It was really crowded especially MK on the Jewish holiday. From what people have reported it seems like the first 2 weeks of September are slow times and that is probably it.

Yeah, lots of fall breaks. I still think Oct is a great time to go. The weather is nice and the Halloween decorations are up. I know everyone wants to avoid crowds, but I don't think there is an "uncrowded" time anymore, except September.

We had lots of waits when we were there two weeks ago. 45 minute standby wait at Pirates and Buzz on a Monday afternoon. Sure wasn't what we were expecting.

Same for us on our trip a couple of weeks ago. Universal on the other hand, was DEAD. Hmmmm.....

For all the complaining about how awful Disney is on these boards, they sure seem to be doing a booming business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter