Why is it always over so fast? Vacation people, vacation!

You take some great shots - I love your pics. Any suggestions for me on how to take those shots? I folllow many TR and your pics are one of the best!

The biggest tip I can give you for taking photos is to take your time and really keep your eyes open. And don't be afraid to copy shots you have seen others take. :lmao: Another tip is to watch the sun. The worst time to take photos is high noon because you will get harsh lights and shadows. And if your subject is back lit, use your flash, even outdoors. Have fun!!

Tomorrow, a fond farewell to Shades and the beginning of a very long 17 hour drive home.

Oh I hate to see your trip end. I enjoyed every post on your report. We will be at Shades a week tomorrow and reading your report kept me going during my long wait. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing.

I am soooo jealous! Wish I was going back soon. Have a blast!! :banana:

Just managed to finally get caught up and was soooo sad to see it was your last day. I've LOVED your TR! :lovestruc Great job!

And my jaw hit the floor when I saw that Steamboat Willie. Steamboat Willie has always been my DH's favorite Mickey and the man actually teared up when he saw him driving the boat at the end of Fantasmic! It was so sweet. So I'm totally going to have to spend the next few months searching for one to buy him for Christmas! :goodvibes

Check out eBay. That's where I found mine and I know there were at least two or three more. And the prices aren't too bad, especially since I looked on several sites that specialize in Steiff and they quoted this particular toy at $450. The only problem with the ones that are left is that they are all in Germany, so the shipment cost is pretty high. Good luck! I can't wait for mine to get here.

Hey we live close to each other. It only took us 15 hours from Vero Beach coming home. Vero adds at least another hour onto the drive. Do you stop a lot?? Now going it took us about 15 1/2, but we stopped TOO MUCH. LOL We did eat at Cracker Barrel too going down so that added an hour easily. Friends of ours do it both ways in 14 hours. They stop every 3 hours to switch driver's and get gas/food/potty breaks but they eat in the van.

With the old fart I have for a hubby, we have to stop a LOT. :rotfl: But it's better to make frequent stops than to hear him freaking out in a PPP attack. :scared1:

My Mickey is here! :woohoo: My Mickey is here! :yay::yay:

I will post pics later, but he is just too darned cute! :mickeyjum If you missed the previous message, he is a Steamboat Willie Steiff limited edition I found on eBay.

My new toy. It is 14" tall, so it is a good size.

aIMGP7084.jpg

aIMGP7083.jpg

aIMGP7082.jpg

aIMGP7078.jpg

aIMGP7077.jpg

aIMGP7076.jpg

aIMGP7085.jpg

Don't mind the lack of manicure!

aIMGP7080.jpg

Number 3477 out of 10,000 worldwide.

aIMGP7081.jpg

Chapter Ten: Tears on My Pillow…

OK, again if you are singing that title, you are old … even older than me! That one was actually before my time. Of course, if you ask my daughter, she’ll tell you nothing was before my time … like dinosaurs, the Civil War. But that’s another story.

Anyway, I have been putting this chapter off long enough. It will be a very short chapter because it was a sad day and a very long, boring 17-hour drive.

Since check out wasn’t until 11 a.m., we decided to sleep in. I had done the laundry and most of the packing on one of the few early nights. I never leave the packing up to Leo because we would have what is, in the Philippines, called “pregnant boxes” instead of suitcases.

You would think after so many years of traveling, he would have packing down to a science. I think he secretly knows how, he just chooses to pretend he doesn’t so he can get out of the packing. But if I left it up to him, he would pack 15 pair of jeans, 30 shirts and one pair of underwear for a one week trip! That’s why I give him a written list of what he needs to give me to pack.

I rolled out of bed at about 9 a.m. and decided to take my breakfast and meds out on the balcony so I could soak in every last ounce of Disney. I sat there watching people wander around the pond, excited kids dragging their parents towards the lobby, excited parents dragging their kids towards the lobby and the gazebo being set up for a wedding.

Then that inevitable feeling flows over me that hits me each and every trip. The green green envy of those who are just checking in and just starting out on their week at Disney. I remember when we would sit out front waiting on our shuttle to the airport and watched as others pulled up and unloaded in front of us. That wave of “I so want to be you right now!”

But, you know what they say about wishing in one hand …

Time to get serious about getting out of here. And by 11 a.m., we were headed to the car with our bags. One good tip here: When we left home, we packed one medium-large suitcase with our in-hotel food and snacks. Now, on the way home, we had an empty suitcase to use for our souvies. They didn’t all fit, of course, but most of them did.

A few parting shots of Shades.

aIMGP5098.jpg

aIMGP5100.jpg

aIMGP5940.jpg

After a lot of hemming and hawing and dragging of feet, we are in the car and ready to hit the road. And, by the way, for those of you who stay at Shades: they really frown on trying to take the giant Mickey in the lobby! I was willing to leave Leo in his place.

aIMGP5077.jpg

After being chased out of the hotel by security and management, we were on the road.

Even though I love seeing the WDW signs on the way in and while we are out and about, these signs are depressing.

aIMGP6799.jpg

aIMGP6801.jpg

aIMGP5064.jpg

On our way, we saw the balloon ride at Downtown Disney. I would love to ride that one day but I would have to do it alone. Hubby has a SLIGHT fear of heights. He even freaks out seeing me get close to an edge. Wait until I take him to the Grand Canyon. Think I should do the fake fall on him? Maybe not. He is in his 60s and I would like to keep him around a while longer.

aIMGP6809.jpg

Now, I was so bummed to be headed back home that I didn’t take a whole lot of photos for most of the day. However, when I started seeing the signs for South of the Border, I decided to see how many I could catch. It wasn’t so hard at first when the signs were every 50 miles or so. But as we got closer, they started coming more often.

It got to be hilarious as I was trying to shoot them as they popped up behind trees, around corners, behind other signs, across the road from each other and within just yards of each other. And with Leo yelling “THERE” “THERE” and “ANOTHER ONE” and “YOU MISSED ONE!” We got to laughing so hard I’m glad I wasn’t driving because I was tearing up.

I won’t bore you with all of them or the ones that ended up just a blur or just a corner of the sign. Here are two of my faves. And I don’t know why, but I find “also unused bagels” to be hilarious.

aIMGP6830.jpg

aIMGP6862.jpg

We decided to actually stop at SOTB this trip. We never have in the past for one reason or another. But I tell you what, we will never do it again. What a dump and had an air of creepiness about it.

We stopped at the gas station there to fill up and I went into the store to look for, what else, souvies. I found some SOTB hot sauce and picked up a couple bottles. I then told Leo I was going “around back” to the bathroom. Well, when I walked “around back,” I walked right back “around front.” Now, I use to work in the inner cities of places like LA, New York City, Atlanta, Baltimore and DC and have lived and traveled in places like Seoul and Panama City (Panama), so I can tell when a group of people should be avoided. Found some!

Leo didn’t even need to ask, he could tell it was time to leave.

aIMGP6870.jpg

aIMGP6877.jpg

As the heavy storm clouds started rolling in, we decided to call it a night at about 8 p.m. Luckily we found a Comfort Inn, not an icky Quality Inn, and checked in. Just as we got parked, grabbed our overnight bag and into the hotel, the heavens opened up. I forgot how insane storms in the south can get.

As Leo jumped in the shower (I know, stupid thing to do in a thunder storm), I opened the drapes, sat on the bed with the lights out and watched this beautiful storm move through. Should have taken photos, but I didn’t think of it at the time.

As a side note: I looooooove the beds in this hotel. They are so comfy! But, as with Mickey at Shades, the hotel people frowned on trying to take the mattress. Sheesh.

Another long, boring day on the road and we made it home safely … thanking God as always. Aahhh, home sweet home, just as we left it.

IMGP5023a-1.jpg

Of course, we had to first of all greet the kitties. Here are my babies. Of course, after their initial happy greeting, they each turn on me in their own way … just to be sure I know they are mad at me for leaving them.

This is Tizzy. She likes to pee on my suitcase if I leave them open and unattended.

tizzy.jpg

This is Fuzzy, our old man. He likes to pounce and bite the crap out of my ankles.

fuzzy.jpg

This is Little Boo. She will sit on the back of the couch and smack me in the face with that big fluffy tail.

boo.jpg

Once they take care of making me aware of their feelings, things go back to normal. Well, as normal as it gets around my house. And, yes, they are spoiled rotten.

Now it’s time to start the count down again … 365 days to Disney. Actually, as I write this, it’s a lot less. Check out my ticker. Yay!

Tune in soon as I turn this trip report into a trippy report. I will report on all things silly in my life … like being a parent and grandparent.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was my pleasure! Thanks for the beautiful pictures and wonderful narriative! :worship:Now I'm looking forward to your pre-trip report for next year and maybe even MINE!

So sad it's over! :sad1:
Thanks for sharing your wonderful report and photos! I'll stick around and look forward to the next trip with you. :thumbsup2

Oh, I felt sad for you ending your trip. Although it came at a great time for me. We leave tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing your trip. I loved every post.

I'll go on the Characters in Flight ballon with you! I will probably have to go alone too.

Oh, I felt sad for you ending your trip. Although it came at a great time for me. We leave tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing your trip. I loved every post.

Can I go with you? Pleeeeeeeze? Even though I am Pooh-sized, you would be amazed at how little space I take up. :woohoo:

Is it over already?!! You have a very witty fun way of writing - loved your TR from beginning to end :thumbsup2

Is it over already?!! You have a very witty fun way of writing - loved your TR from beginning to end :thumbsup2

I see you are going in less than four months. I bet you are getting pretty excited! I also see you are a neighbor. Watch your bags ... I might just stowe away. :rotfl2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was my pleasure! Thanks for the beautiful pictures and wonderful narriative! :worship:Now I'm looking forward to your pre-trip report for next year and maybe even MINE!

Hey! I got an idea! How about I come along on your trip and write one for you? :rolleyes1 :lmao:

I see you are going in less than four months. I bet you are getting pretty excited! I also see you are a neighbor. Watch your bags ... I might just stowe away. :rotfl2:

You are more than welcome to join us :) and yes, we are getting so excited - I just made 2 more ADR's (got a coveted 4:30 p.m. at Via Napoli) so it seems more real now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter