Why is gluten-free such a hot topic?

I have posted 5 times on my thread about gluten intolerance & diet and mentioned my weight twice. Sorry.

You actually mentioned something relayed to your weight on 4 posts. I won't count the snarky skinny post.

Also, in your first post you are complaining about the reactions and question you get when you tell people you are gluten free. Later you say you don't tell anyone and you are just bothered by someone saying "ooooh" in response to you explaining that you can't have cake. Which is it? If you don't tell anyone about your diet, why are you getting so many reactions from people?

Working in a restaurant I see a lot of people who are "gluten free" and will make a HUGE deal about it when ordering, we have a completely separate menu so there is NO confusion as to what is and isn't. But more often then not I will see someone who made a huge deal about it eating half their SO's fries, which are beer battered, or get really upset we don't have the one gluten free beer they like, we have Omission Pale and Bards, both are actually pretty good so they will order regular beer. I had one lady tell me that Titos Vodka isn't gluten free and that she can only drink Piannicle, well Titos is made from corn and one of their big things is the fact that it is gluten free and says so right on the bottle. One of our regulars refuses to eat the corn tortillas we fry our selves because we don't have a dedicated fryer for non gluten items so he thinks he should be entitled to a side of mashed potatoes with his chili but has no problem eating a club on a wheat wrap.

I guess what all that rambling is, it's become a fad diet and I know a lot of people who work in restaurants don't believe most people when they say they can't have gluten since some nights it's every other table, I can see it becoming a safety issue for people who truly have an issue with it. My problem is people telling me they have an allergy to something when in fact they just don't want to eat it. I'ts not just with gluten though people do it all the time.

Also, in your first post you are complaining about the reactions and question you get when you tell people you are gluten free. Later you say you don't tell anyone and you are just bothered by someone saying "ooooh" in response to you explaining that you can't have cake. Which is it? If you don't tell anyone about your diet, why are you getting so many reactions from people?

Well I'm sorry I mentioned my weight 4 times. It was contextual in every case & I was making a point about appearances and diet.

I didn't say I don't tell anyone at all, just not anyone that isn't on a need-to-know basis. The other case was someone else, I just didn't mention them specifically.

But actually, now that you bring it up, I've noticed it a lot on boards now that I'm researching it. People will say why, and the OP will have to explain. So it's not just me. Just something I've observed.

I just never had to explain any of DDs food allergies, but you say you are intolerant to something and it's different. I guess it's just a lack of education on the subject. I didn't understand it myself until I started figuring it out for
myself.

Thanks everyone for the comments. :thumbsup2

I don't care about what anyone else does as long as they aren't trying to convert me. Whether it's food, religion, etc... I am happy you're happy.

I see both sides of this coin. Daily.

Full disclosure: I'm a server at a restaurant.
Even more disclosure: My husband has celiac's.

It's annoying when working because everyone has things they like and things they don't like. Most people will just avoid ordering a dish that has parts they don't like. But there are always people who want to sub this for that, don't bring me that part, I want this instead...and it turns into a whole new dish. Try explaining that to the chefs. They want rockfish...but make it chicken...lol.

And there are people who basically want you to tell them every ingredient in multiple dishes. It's always fun getting the stink eye from one table because they are dying of thirst when I'm trapped at another table for 20 minutes listing the entire preparation process for 5 different entrees. But I will take the time to explain when asked.

Ironically though, my husband isn't one of those people. He avoids pasta dishes, goes for a steak instead of a cheeseburger, etc. He knows what will set him off.

Living with a husband who has celiac's, seeing him lay in bed for days before the doctors figured out what it was, losing 40 pounds in about 3 months, with no strength to make the numerous bathroom trips, I do take food allergies very seriously. And that's the part that some people who are annoyed by "gluten intolerances" don't see.

It's just that there are soooooo many people these days that have celiac's, or gluten sensitivities or intolerances. And it wasn't around a decade ago. Couple that with the fact that there are soooooo many more people who do gluten free by choice, for dieting or health reasons, and suddenly no one can eat anything "normal" because practically everything has wheat in it.

Food is a part of daily life. Having to change a huge part of life to accommodate all the food allergies and restrictions is hard. And annoying. So people that are annoyed have a right to be, whether it's a gluten intolerant person who just wants some of that delicious looking bread pudding they see. Or the rest of the world that feel like they can't eat the bread pudding in front of them because that would be too evil. Even *I* get annoyed when hubby is having a flare up and I have to cook something very calm and bland for dinner. Baked chicken again!

I just want to clear up that celiac disease is not an allergy. It is an autoimmune response. A few posts on this thread seem to lump it in with allergies and it's not the same thing at all. If gluten is ingested, the body attacks itself and causes major inflammation A gluten sensitivity or intolerance is not really autoimmune; however, it is more like your body just doesn't like it (no physical damage occurs when the intestines are biopsied).

Wheat allergy is a different thing and causes typical allergic reactions all the way up to anaphylaxis.

I know people who roll eyes and say gluten free eating is a fad. Well, after you have suffered for years from bloating, stomach discomfort, back aches, arthritis, brain fog, and general lethargy, and you then cut out all flour and gluten, and ALL of your symptoms completely disappear, then I think it is safe to say there was/is a problem.

There is a specific chemical that is used in the processing of flour that bleaches it in a matter of hours, versus the natural processing of days. THis is a poison. After a period of time, this chemical irritates our intestinal track and creates minor symptoms to more serious problems. We then develop an intolerance to products containing wheat flour.

I have dropped two full sized over two years by eliminating flour. I have tons of energy and my arthritis symptoms are gone. My lawyer gave uo gluten/flour, and ALL of psorias (sp) symptoms disappeared.

My endocrinologist touts a gluten-free diet. She reports that the medical community is still a decade away from addressing the link between food and health (processed foods).

THis is a real problem.

I don't know if i am Intolerant or Sensitive, just know that I need to avoid gluten completely or I will pay. DD 22 figured it out first, she gets really sick from it. I have noticed that we are both getting more sensitive to more things (dairy etc) as we go along, so I'm looking into adding some resistant starch to my diet. Haven't convinced her yet.

Spriesty, eating out is a great treat and am always thankful to get a server like you. I will usually do as your husband does and order the steak etc, but have learned that I must bring up the gluten intolerance. Often, it changes things. I can't have the wine sauce on the steak, or they will leave off the fried onions, or something. So servers are very important people!

I only bring it up in conversation when someone begins to complain of their own or a loved one's health problems. IBS, migraines, bloating, immune conditions, skin conditions, the list goes on. I will ask politely if they have considered cutting gluten. Can't tell you how many times they will say "oh, they were tested and that's not it". I could mention that the test only says if you are celiac or not. Doesn't address gluten intolerance. But at that point, I drop it. Arguing indirectly with people's doctors seems pretty pointless.

DH is a gluten eater. No stomach issues etc. But even he admits that when he stays away from it, his knees don't hurt and his head is clearer.

Haven't told him about the Subway bread yet. I would imagine that chemical is used in the buns of many fast food restaurants.

One other anecdote- I spent a week in Costa Rica a few months before I went on my gluten-free experiment, and that week inspired me to try going gluten-free. While in Costa Rica, I ate bread, pancakes, etc. I had NO issues as the food was all organic. Kind of tells you something about organic flour and food processing vs. the flour used in America.

I don't care about what anyone else does as long as they aren't trying to convert me. Whether it's food, religion, etc... I am happy you're happy.

Yes!

To the OP: GF is one of those hot-button things because of all the stuff everyone else mentioned. I'm just late to the party, LOL. A few years back, I went GF, as managed 5 months. It was a holy grail moment for me; I had never felt so good in my life. Then somewhere I slipped up and haven't tried it since. But I'm dedicating myself to it this time now that I understand why I failed before, and know how to avoid future failure in order to keep myself healthy.

Disclosure: Was tested for Celiac's, results 'inconclusive'. Doc says it's probably intolerance, but I don't have an outright allergy. Same with dairy. But I am allergic to pineapple (sniffle!)

What we eat will always be a hot topic. I've been a vegetarian for almost 25 years now and I have had to "defend" myself more times than I could ever count. I don't discuss my choices with anyone unless they ask. In fact, I tried for a very long time to "hide" my vegetarianism from people I wasn't very familiar with. I have gone to business lunches with clients only to have them extremely confrontational when I order a salad without bacon or meat.

I'll never understand exactly why, but it makes people uncomfortable to talk about food. I've been vegan for a short while now and it brings back all those old uncomfortable feelings when I have to ask if they have any non-dairy dressings for my salad. I avoid eating with anyone who isn't already aware of my choice.

Gluten-free is certainly a "hot" topic right now. I've read both sides of the arguments about gluten and it's hard to know for sure what's right (for people who aren't necessarily gluten-intolerant). I do know I feel better when I don't eat bread or pasta, for sure. But I do love my bread.

I also think that people do like to share when they have found something that has been successful for them. They mean no harm. In fact, they are just trying to help.

Yes!

To the OP: GF is one of those hot-button things because of all the stuff everyone else mentioned. I'm just late to the party, LOL. A few years back, I went GF, as managed 5 months. It was a holy grail moment for me; I had never felt so good in my life. Then somewhere I slipped up and haven't tried it since. But I'm dedicating myself to it this time now that I understand why I failed before, and know how to avoid future failure in order to keep myself healthy.

Disclosure: Was tested for Celiac's, results 'inconclusive'. Doc says it's probably intolerance, but I don't have an outright allergy. Same with dairy. But I am allergic to pineapple (sniffle!)

I started getting tested for Celiac Disease regularly (at least once a year if not every 6 months) in 2002 when my father was diagnosed with Celiac. I had all the symptoms and its a genetic autoimmune disorder. I tested negative and also tested inconclusive for 4 years until I got my first ever ear infection at the age of 20 and it ended up being double ear infections in both ears and I flu to London the next day triggering severe vertigo. 5 months later on my 21st birthday I tested a full positive for Celiac Disease. You are not born with Celiac Disease but you can be born with the genes for Celiac Disease. The tests for the antibodies of Celiac to show it active in your body and for the genes are different tests. It is not completely known what causes Celiac to suddenly activate in the body but doctors have suggested stress, trauma, illness or other immune response (i.e. my ear infections and subsequent vertigo). My point is, just because you tested inconclusive for antibodies doesn't mean you may not develop Celiac in the future if you have the genes. Maybe look into genetic testing for Celiac? I have the same symptoms for gluten as I do for dairy. My body triggers a full immune response so I avoid both.

There are 2 camps here, those that are gluten free because of allergies or diseases and those who are gluten free simy because they think it's healthy.

Gluten free can be a healthy way to live. However, if all one is doing is swapping regular cookies, crackers and the like with their gluten free counterparts they're only fooling themselves.

Rice flour is just as bad as white wheat flour in terms of having little nutritional value.

Obviously I'm not speaking about those that have to be gluten free for medical reasons.

I'm another one that doesn't eat processed flour of any kind and avoids sugar as well.

Instead of asking why people are give you a bad time or are incredulous about your intolerance, I think the real question is, why are so many people becoming intolerant to everyday normal foods. Ten years ago gluten intolerance was unheard of in the mainstream. Today most people are aware of it. I myself am gluten intolerant and it makes me wonder what happened. I grew up having bread, pasta, pizza and all sorts of wheat based products in the house. Heck I ate what I wanted as an adult. In fact, I never had any problems until about 3 years ago. Then it was like a switch flipped in my body. All of a sudden bloating, abdominal pain, and other gut problems popped up overnight. So I guess the real question is why have so many people become intolerant to wheat in such a short span of time? I'm sure there have always been people who have an intolerance or allergy to wheat, but the numbers seem to be growing exponentially.

My issues with gluten free have nothing to do with the people that eat gluten free, whether by choice or medical reasons, but by the ignorance of people regarding gluten free. It also makes me angry how companies have jumped on the fad part of it. Examples:

1. So many products that are naturally gluten free have huge labels screaming "gluten free." Coconut milk yogurt, canned green beans--seriously?! Of course they're gluten free!!!

2. Gluten free foods are the only foods the government recognizes for reimbursement for flex spending accounts, for the amount of money paid over a "normal" product. Though we spend lots of money on specialty foods for DS that has life threatening food allergies to milk, egg, soy and nuts, we cannot get the same reimbursement because he isn't gluten free. I have no idea how that makes any sense.

3. When people ask about DS' allergies, after I tell them what they are, 95% of the time they say something like "I bet you're glad there are so many gluten free products now" or "I have a recipe for gluten free cookies." What??? I said nothing that had to do with gluten!

4. Many restaurants have a gluten free menu but the minute you ask about food for DS' allergy set, their eyes glaze over and they mention the gluten free menu again. Drives me insane! This is why he only eats Chipolte and at WDW. No other restaurant food.

So--as you can see--I may be bitter that there are not more options for DS. Haha! I just wish other intolerances/allergies were getting the same benefits. I know we're all in this together and I'm hopeful that people will become more allergy aware through the gluten free "movement." (No disrespect meant by "movement"--I didn't know how to word it.)

I know people who roll eyes and say gluten free eating is a fad. Well, after you have suffered for years from bloating, stomach discomfort, back aches, arthritis, brain fog, and general lethargy, and you then cut out all flour and gluten, and ALL of your symptoms completely disappear, then I think it is safe to say there was/is a problem.

There is a specific chemical that is used in the processing of flour that bleaches it in a matter of hours, versus the natural processing of days. THis is a poison. After a period of time, this chemical irritates our intestinal track and creates minor symptoms to more serious problems. We then develop an intolerance to products containing wheat flour.

I have dropped two full sized over two years by eliminating flour. I have tons of energy and my arthritis symptoms are gone. My lawyer gave uo gluten/flour, and ALL of psorias (sp) symptoms disappeared.

My endocrinologist touts a gluten-free diet. She reports that the medical community is still a decade away from addressing the link between food and health (processed foods).

THis is a real problem.

Then why not just grind your own flour? That seems a lot less extreme than going gluten free.

My dermatologist said to go gluten free, but then my rheumatologist said it was all bunk. So I don't think that they know, either. I bet if you asked your different docs, you'd get a different answer. I told my dermatologist that he'd be prying pancakes out of my cold dead hands, lol. Turns out, I have lupus, so the dermatologist was wrong on all accounts.

And for the original poster, I had early gallbladder disease as well, even though I was not fat or 40. That's a risk factor, it doesn't mean that all gallbladder problems are going to fall in that category. They suspect that lupus had something to do with it, along with a rare anatomical oddity that I have.

As a mom with a kid with autism, I hear about the gluten free panacea constantly. It gets old, so that's why I roll my eyes when people bring it up. Yes, I've heard about gluten free, no it will not fix my son, who isn't broken anyway. He's just different. I happen to think that whole grains are very healthy, so they are a large part of our diet. This is an educated choice for our family. If it works for a particular person, then great. I'm glad you feel better, but we aren't dolts because we choose something different.

Instead of asking why people are give you a bad time or are incredulous about your intolerance, I think the real question is, why are so many people becoming intolerant to everyday normal foods. Ten years ago gluten intolerance was unheard of in the mainstream. Today most people are aware of it. I myself am gluten intolerant and it makes me wonder what happened. I grew up having bread, pasta, pizza and all sorts of wheat based products in the house. Heck I ate what I wanted as an adult. In fact, I never had any problems until about 3 years ago. Then it was like a switch flipped in my body. All of a sudden bloating, abdominal pain, and other gut problems popped up overnight. So I guess the real question is why have so many people become intolerant to wheat in such a short span of time? I'm sure there have always been people who have an intolerance or allergy to wheat, but the numbers seem to be growing exponentially.

Because processed food and flour has unnatural chemicals in them as opposed to hundreds of years ago.

Because processed food and flour has unnatural chemicals in them as opposed to hundreds of years ago.

Once again, why not grind your own flour? All it takes is a nutrimill and wheat berries. We have been grinding our own for years, and it's really great. Our food tastes so much better, and its so filling.

Personally I'm just tired of people telling me what I should or shouldn't eat when the experts can't even agree what is good for us and what is bad for us.

Eggs are good, eggs are bad.
Milk is good, milk is bad.
Whole grain is good, whole grain is bad.
Carbs are good, carbs are bad.

I read an article the other day in a mens health magazine saying we have gone to far and now aren't eating enough fat. The whole article was about how we should increase our fat intake because it's important for muscle health. :confused3

I cook at home whenever I can and I try to eat as much "real" food as possible, rather than highly processed foods, but it seems to be more of a guessing game than a science.

I think our bodies are pretty good at telling us what they like and don't like, there are lots of foods I don't eat because they cause my stomach to do somersaults or sap my energy. If cutting out Gluten makes people feel better I think they are smart to cut out Gluten, I just don't think it is the cure all for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter