• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is gluten-free such a hot topic?

vettechick99

<font color=purple>Why do I open these threads?<br
I had some testing recently and found out I'm gluten intolerant. Since I have cut it out, I have felt great. I have more energy, my mood is better, and gut issues are disappearing (I have a loooooong history with gut problems. this is no surprise).

But what is getting me are the number of skeptical questions or comments I get when I have to tell someone I am gluten-free. Maybe because I am skinny I shouldn't watch what I eat? I should be able to eat all the junk food in the world, and as long as I don't gain weight I am ok? I'm surprised that GF has such a bad image (and saddened at how ignorant people are to the value of healthy diets. at least in my town.).

Have you experienced any flak for having to become gluten-free?

A couple relatives are gluten free and we now supply food and snacks for them
And now DH has to cut back on carbs so I buy more gluten free things, like crakers and cookies and we both like them!

Yup!

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost 8 years ago and the only treatment is completely gluten free (I am also dairy free). Once gluten free became the new hot trend diet people started questioning why I needed to be completely gluten free and telling me it was just a bandwagon fad and I was making a big deal out of nothing.

I am glad that testing has improved and people like you and me who really need a clear diagnosis are able to get one and start feeling better BUT the downside to that is it has become a trend and it puts people who medically need to be gluten free at risk of being contaminated because people don't think we really need to avoid gluten.

I think a lot of peoples issue with the whole gluten free thing is it sometimes seems like another thing people will shove in their face. Lol. My best friends son is gluten free and she went on and on about it for the first few months. I am also gluten free as of the last year, but have never really seen a need to tell anyone really. No one bristles if I just skip over something but if I would say "im intolerant of gluten and that's why I can't have that" people I'm sure would respond differently.

I cut gluten (and a whole host of other items) out of my diet by choice 2.5 years ago. I'm fairly gluten sensitive, but not intolerant.

I've often experienced what you describe. I try not to talk to a lot of people about what I do, unless they are truly interested, and leave it at a "I just eat crazy." And joke off the inquiries. I get tired of the questions. I've been incredibly successful in changing my entire body, inside and out. Food has been medicine for me.

But I think the reason a lot of people get all upset and crazy is because they get threatened. So many people know they should be eating better or making better choices that seeing someone around them be successful makes them feel bad about what they do. It is really scary when someone close to you does something fairly drastic and changes your entire conventional wisdom about the very food you put in your mouth.

Food is extremely emotional. It is the one thing our bodies HAVE to have... And we get really wrapped up in how food makes us feel. Any challenge to those feelings or food brings out nasty reactions at times. I've seen it so many times... "How you not eat bread? I would die!"
"What do you eat then if you don't eat gluten?"
"Pasta makes me feel good."
"I could not live without a glass of wine."
"Chocolate saves me from being a monster on e a month."

Most of these emotions are simply biochemical responses to how food makes a person feel. Their emotions get intertwined with how the food affects them and that emotional connection is about as strong as any addiction.

The truth is I've learned my body so well since changing my diet that I know there isn't much about moderation that works for me. And little bits here and there also don't work. So I have to rely on my own research, the books/experts I trust, and my own experience to say "This works for me."

There is a whole body of shifting nutritional science. Unfortunately we have all had the last 30 years of low fat food pyramids ingrained in us by our government. I try not to preach and I try not to talk about food with those in my everyday life. I'm much happier that way.

It's great that you've found that you feel better without gluten!

I think the problem is that gluten-free became the new "it" diet. Health nuts started touting the evils of gluten for everyone, even those without intolerances or allergies. Now more and more studies are coming out indicating that unless you have a real allergy or intolerance, a gluten-free diet is no better or worse than any other balanced diet. The average person isn't negatively impacting their health by eating gluten. So those that have a legitimate reason for being gluten-free are looked at with skepticism.

If you don't mind my asking, what type of symptoms did you have that made you seek testing? What type of tests do they run to determine if you are gluten intolerant? I have a family member that has gut issues. Makes me wonder.

I am low carb now. As a result most gluten based items are off my list. Just by taking that simple step I dropped 15 pounds since 3 weeks ago. And I do not feel denied. I thought it would kill me. I am from NY and love my Sunday Bagel. But I found I enjoy my Sunday veggie cheese scramble just as much.

I think people feel the need to butt in when they feel threatened as well. Based on how great I feel now I'm thinking a plant based diet may be my next step.

If you don't mind my asking, what type of symptoms did you have that made you seek testing? What type of tests do they run to determine if you are gluten intolerant? I have a family member that has gut issues. Makes me wonder.

The first testing done usually involves some bloodwork looking for autoimmune antibodies. There is a blood panel that looks for specific ones. Often times, the results give a false negative or not all of the antibody tests will show up positive. These tests are followed by an upper endoscopy that goes into the small bowel to look for damage in the villi. A person who has celiac disease will most likely have damaged, flattened villi that ends up causing malabsorption.

If no celiac is found and the blood tests are sort of inconclusive, a patient will often get the label of "gluten intolerant." This really means that while you don't have celiac and you don't have damage to the small intestine, gluten in certain amounts makes you feel really bad.

I had some testing recently and found out I'm gluten intolerant. Since I have cut it out, I have felt great. I have more energy, my mood is better, and gut issues are disappearing (I have a loooooong history with gut problems. this is no surprise).

But what is getting me are the number of skeptical questions or comments I get when I have to tell someone I am gluten-free. Maybe because I am skinny I shouldn't watch what I eat? I should be able to eat all the junk food in the world, and as long as I don't gain weight I am ok? I'm surprised that GF has such a bad image (and saddened at how ignorant people are to the value of healthy diets. at least in my town.).

Have you experienced any flak for having to become gluten-free?

You think a gluten free diet gets you flak? Try being vegan! :rotfl:

A couple relatives are gluten free and we now supply food and snacks for them
And now DH has to cut back on carbs so I buy more gluten free things, like crakers and cookies and we both like them!

Gluten free crackers and cookies are full of carbs!

Dd11 has celiac, so she is gf. I think the haters come from the gf food nazi's, some of whom I know personally, who thing going gf is a cure-all.

I eat ketogenically most of the time and never get any flak, well, very little flak. If you want other people to cater to your dietary restrictions or you talk about your dietary restrictions, expect flak.

If you just change what you're eating and don't eat things you shouldn't without a big discussion around it, there probably won't be any flak. If you want special considerations or things made a certain way for you or substitutes provided at every turn. . .well. Expect flak.

I almost never have bad experiences getting food I can eat anywhere and if a restaurant doesn't serve food I can eat, well, we're in America, the land of excess. I can get hardboiled eggs and cheese sticks at a flippin' Fasttrack, for goodness sakes. I won't starve over the course of one meal at one restaurant!

I go to WDW every year and have never, ever had a problem. I just don't eat the pieces parts of things I can't eat (for example, sandwiches or burgers) or I do a little planning and pick restaurants with food I can eat. It's just not a big deal unless you make it one because you want to be able to order what you had before you had dietary restrictions and expect the restaurant to cater to those wants.

Yup!

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost 8 years ago and the only treatment is completely gluten free (I am also dairy free). Once gluten free became the new hot trend diet people started questioning why I needed to be completely gluten free and telling me it was just a bandwagon fad and I was making a big deal out of nothing.

I am glad that testing has improved and people like you and me who really need a clear diagnosis are able to get one and start feeling better BUT the downside to that is it has become a trend and it puts people who medically need to be gluten free at risk of being contaminated because people don't think we really need to avoid gluten.

Also the fact that when you eat gluten, you don't break out in hives or go into AP shock like someone who can't eat peanuts (like my DD). So I guess if they don't see the immediate reaction, they act like it doesn't exist?

I think a lot of peoples issue with the whole gluten free thing is it sometimes seems like another thing people will shove in their face. Lol. My best friends son is gluten free and she went on and on about it for the first few months. I am also gluten free as of the last year, but have never really seen a need to tell anyone really. No one bristles if I just skip over something but if I would say "im intolerant of gluten and that's why I can't have that" people I'm sure would respond differently.

I am also just trying to mind my own business, especially after the responses I have gotten. I always say I'm gluten intolerant, but even when I do, people are like, :confused3.

I've often experienced what you describe. I try not to talk to a lot of people about what I do, unless they are truly interested, and leave it at a "I just eat crazy." And joke off the inquiries. I get tired of the questions. I've been incredibly successful in changing my entire body, inside and out. Food has been medicine for me.

But I think the reason a lot of people get all upset and crazy is because they get threatened. So many people know they should be eating better or making better choices that seeing someone around them be successful makes them feel bad about what they do. It is really scary when someone close to you does something fairly drastic and changes your entire conventional wisdom about the very food you put in your mouth.

Food is extremely emotional. It is the one thing our bodies HAVE to have... And we get really wrapped up in how food makes us feel. Any challenge to those feelings or food brings out nasty reactions at times. I've seen it so many times... "How you not eat bread? I would die!"
"What do you eat then if you don't eat gluten?"
"Pasta makes me feel good."
"I could not live without a glass of wine."
"Chocolate saves me from being a monster on e a month."

Most of these emotions are simply biochemical responses to how food makes a person feel. Their emotions get intertwined with how the food affects them and that emotional connection is about as strong as any addiction.

The truth is I've learned my body so well since changing my diet that I know there isn't much about moderation that works for me. And little bits here and there also don't work. So I have to rely on my own research, the books/experts I trust, and my own experience to say "This works for me."

There is a whole body of shifting nutritional science. Unfortunately we have all had the last 30 years of low fat food pyramids ingrained in us by our government. I try not to preach and I try not to talk about food with those in my everyday life. I'm much happier that way.

It's the effect of gluten-free having become a fad diet touted as a cure-all for everyone and everything, unfortunately. I'd expect to see the backlash die off sooner or later when the uber-advocates get bored and the fad turns to something else.

I think it's a bit like how some people and establishments stopped taking food allergies as seriously because some folks turned "allergic" into a synonym for "I don't like it." Very unfortunate for people who have actual problems.

The first testing done usually involves some bloodwork looking for autoimmune antibodies. There is a blood panel that looks for specific ones. Often times, the results give a false negative or not all of the antibody tests will show up positive. These tests are followed by an upper endoscopy that goes into the small bowel to look for damage in the villi. A person who has celiac disease will most likely have damaged, flattened villi that ends up causing malabsorption.

If no celiac is found and the blood tests are sort of inconclusive, a patient will often get the label of "gluten intolerant." This really means that while you don't have celiac and you don't have damage to the small intestine, gluten in certain amounts makes you feel really bad.

Ever since I was little, I've been underweight, had digestions problems (gallbladder disease at 20, which is rare. Doctors say the rule of thumb is "40, fat, and female"), and in the last few years my energy levels have plummeted. The craziest symptom was that I would gain up to 4 lbs in one day. Now I know I didn't eat 8,000 calories the day before :scratchin, so I was retaining water or becoming otherwise inflamed. This summer I read The Plan by Lyn-Genet Recitas because I eat pretty healthfully but still have trouble. Based on her food elimination diet, I was able to pinpoint a few problems. But I had some bloodwork done recently by a hormone doctor and she decided to run a food sensitivity panel because of my history. Also, we have a family history of gut issues - 4/5 of my immediate family members have had either Crohns, gallbladder disease, or gluten intolerance. Gut problems run in the family.

Thank you to both of you. I think I'll have to look into this more. I will get the book you mentioned, vettechick99. I think it will give me more insight. Some of the things you mentioned sounds familiar.

A lot of you have 'hit the nail on the head' about why 'gluten intolerance' has become such a hot topic.

It's because so many people have to wear what they do/don't do on their foreheads for all to see. They constantly talk about it, or in some cases try to push whatever 'works' for them on all their friends, etc.

I have friends that have celiac disease and most people don't even know it, yet others that may/may not be 'sensitive' to gluten let you know in every way if they can, what they/you should eat/not eat.

It's become the latest 'fad' diet to some unfortunately, and things like that have a tendency to turn people off.

It's like a lot of other things that have it's place for some, yet there is always a few to give it a bad name. Some people just 'have' to tell others what they 'think' is best for them. Will always be that way - it's really too bad! :(

Not to pick on this poster, but comments like this is kind of the reason why it's become a hot button topic. I'm glad you found something that works well for you. But assuming that people that aren't gluten-free are making poor food choices is a huge leap. Gluten doesn't bother me--I have zero issues with it. I'm not overweight and I'm a very healthy eater. I'm not upset, crazy, or threatened when someone tells me they're gluten free but, unless they've been diagnosed with an issue, I do have a bit of an internal eyeroll that they've hopped onto the diagnosis/fad du jour, kwim?

I have a friend who was diagnosed with celiac years ago (before I'd ever heard of it) and about half my family is vegetarian--I have no issues providing appropriate foods and/or supporting those who have made different eating choices than I have. At the age of 48, I developed a fish/shellfish allergy completely out of the blue so I get having to suddenly change the way you eat and having people be surprised about it. My mom forgot and made me lobster (which I LOVE) and got a bit annoyed that I couldn't eat it. So, I do understand that sometimes folks get snippy if you're being "picky" as they see it.

But, the difference is, I don't go around preaching to those who eat shellfish about the delights of abstaining from it. My vegetarian daughter doesn't try to convince me to give up meat. Those who have become gluten-free recently sometimes seem to want everyone to join them and that's what causes people to push back, I think.

My DD14 was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in July 2010. She hasn't said that she has received a lot of comments but she did tell me about 1 a few months ago. When someone in school found out that she was GF, they said 'oh, you're one of those hipster people that eat GF.' :furious: She basically responded 'that no, she's not. All 'those people' can go back to eating whatever they want when ever they want. If she ate gluten, she could get very sick and possibly die.' It's a very sore subject with her.

It's the effect of gluten-free having become a fad diet touted as a cure-all for everyone and everything, unfortunately. I'd expect to see the backlash die off sooner or later when the uber-advocates get bored and the fad turns to something else.

I think it's a bit like how some people and establishments stopped taking food allergies as seriously because some folks turned "allergic" into a synonym for "I don't like it." Very unfortunate for people who have actual problems.

Yeah that's it. It's become a fad diet so it's hard to take it seriously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter