• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is arifare from LI to Orlando so high for August??

Td1290

Earning My Ears
I was ready to book my trip and realized airfares are more than double what I paid last year. Yikes. I have paid 200-250 per person in the past and now am looking at $400+! :confused3

that's what we have paid as well usually either the 3rd or 4th week in August......we're going the end of September this year for my daughter's 21 birthday...over the long 4 day weekend and I booked the return trip as soon as 10/2 opened up on Monday- paid $144 one way- the flight I booked is now over $300..:eek:......if we hadn't booked on Monday there is no way we'd be flying SW at over $300 one way

I was ready to book my trip and realized airfares are more than double what I paid last year. Yikes. I have paid 200-250 per person in the past and now am looking at $400+! :confused3

In general, I am finding airfares have increased. Mine has increased 25%..but double :scared1:. Have you checked alternate carriers?

unfortunately Southwest is pretty much the only game in town out of Islip....other alternatives are JFK or LGA....we live 10 minutes from Islip.......45-60 minutes from the others so Islip it's our 1st choice....up until this year I didn't see much difference in flying SW or going to JFK and flying Jet Blue....this year is a whole different story......Jet Blue was less than half the price on one of our trips so we booked with them....something we hadn't done since SW came to Islip

unfortunately Southwest is pretty much the only game in town out of Islip....other alternatives are JFK or LGA....we live 10 minutes from Islip.......45-60 minutes from the others so Islip it's our 1st choice....up until this year I didn't see much difference in flying SW or going to JFK and flying Jet Blue....this year is a whole different story......Jet Blue was less than half the price on one of our trips so we booked with them....something we hadn't done since SW came to Islip

I think you and everyone else who is traveling anywhere by air is going to find that airfares are going to be higher this year. There may be isolated instances where good deals can be obtained but generally airfares are going up throughout the airline industry.

I think you and everyone else who is traveling anywhere by air is going to find that airfares are going to be higher this year. There may be isolated instances where good deals can be obtained but generally airfares are going up throughout the airline industry.

I agree..and understand that fuel costs are up.... but SW is charging way more in some cases double or more the cost of their flights out of LGA to fly out of Islip...they are doing so because there is no competion out of Islip while they have other airlines flying to Orlando out of LGA...and they also have to compete with Jet Blue price out of JFK

It used to be american and continental were also isp to mco, The great things about SW is they are generally On time, efficient, no charges for bags, no fee for changes, you get refunds, reductions too, DINGS, and they are non stop if one so chooses. Nothing like adding a few a hours to a flight :eek: for stops, plane changes/delays!! To me they are great and worth the costs. The taxes are so high when you look at the break down. and the flights have all gone up. :sad2: Your best bet is Tuesday/wed flights, and if you can try at a minute after Midnight on Tuesday Night, you MAY get lucky. (generally when carriers update their systems)
Good Luck, personally I totally get flying out of ISP...so simple :thumbsup2

We are traveling in August as well, and i should have booked SW when the airfare first came out, but I thought $129 each way was a but high....silly me!! It has gotten soo high, and anything out of JFK or LGA is not any cheaper. So we have decided to take the Auto train. Drive to Lorton, VA (just outside of DC) and take the train and the car. Much cheaper than flying and we will not have to rent a car. I am still hoping that airfare will drop, but for now looking forward to something new to us Train Travel!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter