• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why I will never never ever go on a trip with my (ex)bestfriend again

wdwcp95

Earning My Ears
So...as a former cast member that doesn't get back very often I was very much looking forward to taking my girls 6 & 8 on their second trip to WDW. This was a trip to celebrate their birthdays. My best friend had recently gone through a divorce and wanted to bring her 4 year old and mother along and asked me to plan. I booked the trip and asked her to discuss events, but she left it to me. I offered to book different meals because I have girls who wanted to eat with the princesses and she insisted on eating with us for every meal. Before the trip I told her that she need not feel obligated to spend the whole time with us. We can meet up for meals and she can do whatever she likes the rest of the time.

Our trip started off fine. We left on the Saturday morning following Thanksgiving and drove from Louisiana to Florida. We were checking into the Wilderness Lodge on Sunday, but since we were driving I didn't want everyone to be exhausted on our first day into the park so we stayed on hotel plaza blvd for our first night.

We made several stops for potty breaks along the way which is to be expected when traveling with young kids. We arrived at the hotel and settled in. Soon after we left to visit the Board Walk and walk over to the Beach Club for Beaches and Cream. The trip was ambitious to say the least. I had worked at WDW for 6 years during college on the college program and post grad as a manager at Downtown Disney. I was trying to show them as much of the world as I could from Sat - Saturday.

They enjoyed the Boardwalk, beach club and dinner at Beaches and Cream. After dinner I told them I was going to take the girls to downtown disney to show them the place I once worked (WOD). I offered to have them follow me back to the hotel, but they wanted to join us.

Once arriving at DTD it took us 30 minutes to park. I was not thinking that the people that were there for Thanksgiving hadn't left yet -- the marketplace was as packed as I had ever seen it and I worked there for a long while.

We hit the lego store, WOD, and once upon a toy. My friends mother started to get aggrevated because of the crowds and wanted to leave. We then headed back to the hotel for the night...which was around 10pm.

I wanted to get an early start, but held back and didn't send a message until 9. We were out of the hotel by 9:30 and at the Wilderness Lodge by 10:00 for check in. Our rooms were not ready, but we grabbed our tickets and I wanted to hit the MK for a late breakfast, we settled for a snack at the roaring forms.

On our way to the boat the kids saw the pool at the wilderness lodge and wanted to go swimming. I told my girls that we may have an opportunity to swim one day while we were there if it warmed up. It was quite chilly still at 11am. My friends son who is 4 1/2 wouldn't stop takling about swimming the whole time to the MK and the whole time we were there.

The park was busy but not so busy that we had to wait in line for hours. We hit fantasyland and that's pretty much it for our first day in the park. I suggested we return to the hotel since we had 6pm reservations at Chef Mickey's. We left the park around 3:30 to give them time to rest before heading to Dinner.

On the boat ridge back I told my friend that we were going to take the girls swimming and offered to take her son. She said no - he needed to rest. That was fine, but I mentioned that our reservations were at 6 and we needed to head out of our rooms by 5 to make sure we would get there on time.

Prior to our trip I had given her an itinerary and told her to print it up so she would know all of our dinner times. This day she said ok and to contact her when we were ready to leave.

At 4:45 I texted her and said that we were ready to walk to the boat whenever she was. She said she didn't know we had to leave at 5. She just put her son into the tub to take a bath. So.....we missed the boat and I called chef mickey's to notify that we would be late. They said there was a 15 minute buffer. We arrived at 6:20, but luckily were still seated.

After dinner we went to the studios for Extra Magic Hours. We viewed the Osbourne Family Lights, Muppets 3D, and the great movie ride. After the great movie ride I was scolded because of the gun. I wasn't aware he was afraid of gun sounds. That would have been good to know I guess and maybe my fault for not asking. I did make them aware of the alien scene and said it's pretty scary. I thought the gun shots were mild compared to Alien. We also tried to do toy story mania, but they were not interested in standing in line for 30 minutes (which is super short compared to times I have read about).

I was able to ride tower of terror with my friend and all was ok. The kids were all tired at 10, so we headed back to the hotel. All in all a pretty good day.

The plan for Monday was breakfast at 9:10 at 1900 Park Fare followed by a day in the magic kingdom. We were also to meet up with my brother who lives in naples in the afternoon at the MK. Breakfast went well and my friend told me that they were going to go back to the hotel and look around, but would meet us later in the day at the Magic Kingdom. I was actually happy about that -- I would have some alone time with my girls. By the way...1900 Park fare is my new favorite Character dining experience. We had the best time...all of us!!!

Anyway, we took some pictures after breakfast with my friend and her family. We continue to check out the grand floridian while we had the opportunity. We shopped a little while and ran into my friend at the shop in the grand floridian. She had nothing to say to me...almost like she was aggrevated I was there.

We went along our way to the Magic Kingdom for some fun. My girls wanted to stand in line to get a few autographs, so we did that and then continued to tomorrowland for Buzz Lightyears space ranger spin, the laugh floor, and a few other attractions. By this time my brother arrived and we had the best time in fantasyland and frontierland with him.

Maybe my friend was irritated that my brother was meeting us at the park. I hadn't seen him in a year and had already asked permission 6 months before the trip. She was fine with it.

At any rate we had a great time even though it rained that day at the Magic Kingdom...the girls, my husband, myself, and brother had a great time. I then received a text from my friend that they would be heading over soon and she asked where we should meet up. I recommended we meet on Main Street outside of the emporium. Well no less than 5 minutes after I mentioned that she sent another message stating her son wanted to stay in the room and color, so they weren't going to meet us for the parade and fireworks afterall..and they would see us on Tuesday.

I was shocked that she would do everything her kid wanted to do. Stay at the resort to swim when you have a pool at your house and then stay in the room to color because apparently there aren't colors in LA.

I'll end this post for now and will start again tomorrow with our 2nd full day in the park at Disney Studios and EPCOT. Nothing has happened yet.......we are all in pretty good spirits.

Oh I did forget to mention an important detail....I received a call from work that my employees husband died in a motorcycle accident. That threw me for a loop and pretty down for a few hours that morning...then dealing with issues at work.

I'm sorry your trip was not as "magical" as you wanted. It is hard to travel with a large group. Enery family has there own way of doing things. I hope you and your girls enjoyed yourself!

Thanks! Despite our issues we had a great time at Walt Disney World. How can you not have a great time? It's what you make of it despite the little issues along the way. We can't wait to plan our next trip....which will be when the new fantasyland opens.

Great start to TR, I look forward to reading more. I am a for CM on CP too, was down there in 1993. Hopefully your friend didn't completely ruin the trip as it sounds like the fun is just getting started.

We have traveled with friends and have good and bad experiences. Friends or family, there always seem to be some we can travel great with and others who put a downer or uncomfortable akwardness on the trip. We are going to WDW this January and decided to go with just our family this time. No friends, grandparents, or others as fun as it can be having others along.

I'm so sorry your trip did not work out too well with your friend. We have been on holiday with friends before so can totally empathize. Hopefully you'll get back soon! Looking forward to the next update! :)

Sorry to hear about about your employees husbands death. Life is short and you have to live life to its fullest.
That being said, I wouldn't hold any negative thoughts for your friend if I were you. Traveling with young children is always a drama, especially when traveling with 2 families with young children.
Just set back and enjoy yourself and don't let anything that you can not control effect your happiness.
As for your friend, she is going thru a time in her life where things change by the minute. She is still your best friend and don't let this change that.

Sorry to hear about about your employees husbands death. Life is short and you have to live life to its fullest.
That being said, I wouldn't hold any negative thoughts for your friend if I were you. Traveling with young children is always a drama, especially when traveling with 2 families with young children.
Just set back and enjoy yourself and don't let anything that you can not control effect your happiness.
As for your friend, she is going thru a time in her life where things change by the minute. She is still your best friend and don't let this change that.

PS I just read that you had a great time afterwards.... Good for you......

I think traveling with others can be hard. I try to go solo .. or bring like 1 other person to help me with my boys (I'm a single mom) but I try not to go with other families unless we each have our own itineraries !
Sorry about your employee's husband. :sad1:

Looking forward to reading more !

I'm new to this disboards thing and I am not sure if I posted the followup yesterday correctly. I posted as part 2, then the same title. Not sure if I did that the correct way or not. Any help would be appreciated. I can find my other post and copy and paste here if needed.

As for the trip -- the things that happened thus for in the trip did not bug me or hurt the friendship...the good stuff is coming. What I have posted is just to be expected sort of things...it gets interesting in a bit.

You mean you created a separate thread for part 2 ? If so, I'd copy and paste it here and try to keep it all in one thread.

I'm going to give this another shot...tried doing this yesterday, but I am unable to locate the post.

Here were are for the second full day of the trip. Everyone was ready on time to head to DHS. We didn't get a super early start, but we did arrive a at the park around 10:30. We arrived and my friend and her mother wanted to spend some time shopping right as we entered the park. They spent about an hour looking around. AS soon as my brother arrived I took all tickets and went to grab fast passes for Toy Story Mania. By the time I was there I was lucky to get fast passes at all. Our FP's were for 6:30-- I was worried with the time since we had lunch plans at EPCOT and had planned to do the candlelight processional and illuminations.

I went back to the group and explained the situation. We decided to go to lunch and catch the candlelight processional and then come back for toy story mania...then back to EPCOT for illuminations. It was 8pm by this time and I understood it was getting late.

We went to see Illuminations and had a great time. My husband enjoys that...the kids could really care less. I think Illuminations is bad compared to the Illuminations of the early 1990's. Bring it back!

Anyway, after illuminations we headed back to the hotel...which was a mission in and of itself...epcot is nuts after illuminations -- I just forgot. I was always use to going to cast member parking and didn't worry about the bus system.

We made it back just in time to grab something at the roaring forks. So glad they were open until 11! My girls were such troopers...long days and still ready to go.

Enough for now....it gets good in my next post. All in all for this day we all had a good time except for a few comments from my friends mom.

During the moring at the studios we first saw B&B which was fabulous as always. After B&B we walked over to the animation court yard. During our walk my husband and I wanted to take pictures w/ the photo pass guy. My friends mother said, "we are not here to take pictures". My husband said he understands, but we are taking pictures and feel free to go on without us. They stayed and didn't want to be involved in the pictures. OUr next stop was the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Upon entering my friends mother said, "we will do this, but after this we must do something for boys". I explained that we would do all we could, but our schedule didn't match the times since we were behind schedule. We had done Muppets and the Great Movie Ride and were not interested in doing that again. The other rides he was either too scared or too small to ride. We again said that they are welcome to do what they wanted and we could meet up at lunch time.

After the voyage of the little mermaid it was time to head over to EPCOT for lunch. We had lunch reservations at the UK with reserved seating for the candlelight processional and illuminations viewing. Not our first choice in EPCOT, but most affordable for not using the dining plan for this meal. Everyone had a great time at lunch. We arrived 30 minutes early for lunch,so we looked around -- my friend, her son and mother were not interested in the world showcase at all.

After lunch we headed to Journey Into Imagination which I think is horrible. I miss dreamfinder. Anyway, I feel another refurb coming on to that attraction. We did that and then Spaceship earth which is always enjoyable. After that it was time to head over to the candlelight processional which was narrated by MIchael W. Smith. That was awesome! Everyone enjoyed it. My brother fell asleep and said it's a lot like church, but he did enjoy it. Funny!

We regrouped after that and had a discussion about going back to the studios for toy story mania. Before the trip and several times during the trip I told my friend that at some point I was going to meet up with my old disney college program roommate from 96. I hadn't seen her in almost 10 years..since my wedding...she was a bridesmaid. I was so excited to have a chance to meet her. She was attending wedding activities for her cousin and had limited time to get together. She called earlier that day and wanted to get together. When we were on the way to the studios I received a text stating that she was at the studios eating in the commissary and would try to find me. AT that point we hadn't arrived.

Once at the studios we headed immediately to Toy Story Mania. Upon entering I hear a voice call my name. I turned around and my friend, her husband, and son had been waiting for me for a while. I gave her the biggest hugs...one of the trip highlights was seeing my old friend. We were talking for maybe 2 minutes...I was introducing everyone and all of a sudden my friends mother said, "please give us our tickets so we can get on this ride". I looked up and my friend was waving at me to come on. It was totally rude to my friends and me...especially since my friend lives in PA and I live in LA and we rarely get to see each other. I looked at my friend and said I'm sorry, but I have to go....my little one wanted me to ride with her, so I was torn. In retrospect I should have given them the tickets and chatted with my friend.

On the way to the studios earlier that day my friend had questioned me about the plans for Wednesday. I explained that we were going to the animal kingdom. She showed me a map and said we want to do these things..are you doing these things? I said we were planning on doing all of the attractions listed on her map: bugs life, lion king, nemo, safari, etc. So, she said great -- we are in for Wednesday.

So, we did toy story mania and it was awesome! My kids absolutely loved it. We then went to see the Walt Disney movie. WE parted wasy because my friends were no longer interested in seeing illuminations. My husband, myself, and kids headed to EPCOT while my friend and her family headed to the hotel.

How many times did you see Illuminations during this trip?

The best trips with others are when all parties compromise at times...alternating doing what each party wants...and then going off on their own at times as well. Some folks never want to compromise though. And sometimes it can be tough with kids as they always want to be together (not sure if this was the case for you, but it has been for us at times).

Sorry it wasn't the most magical of trips. I can't wait to read the rest of your trip report. I've been down that road and we try not to vacation with others anymore. We are going to WDW in a few days with DH's entire family...it shoud be...interesting.

We saw illuminations only once during this trip. There were holiday fireworks right after. IT was ok, but I still prefer the early 90's version of Illuminations.

I agree with the compromise and spending time apart. However, I had requested assistance in planning due to her mother and child. She kept leaving it to me because I am a former cast member. I offered to make reservations at different restaurants when we were eating with princesses etc.

As for the trip...it was still very magical...spending time with my husband and little girls is awesome anytime, but so much more fun at WDW. Things haven't gotten bad yet....it comes in my next post. :0). Plus, despite my issues with my friend my family and I had a wonderful time the whole time...just moments of aggrevation, but those quickly pass.

Ok...this is my second attempt att this third post. I tried a moment ago and it didn't go through...and I lost the whole post. This time I'm going to copy before I hit post!

Anyway, the last post ended with my friend and I parting ways...my family went back to EPCOT for illuminations while her family went to the hotel at 8pm. We enjoyed illuminations, but transportation back is always interesting.

Before leaving we discussed plans for Wednesday. We were all on board with going to animal kingdom the next day. Had even mapped out the attractions that we wanted to do.

Early WEdnesday morning I received a text just before 5:30am...I'm going to let them sleep in and meet you animal kingdom later on. I responded that I was letting mine sleep in a little bit too. WE headed over the DAK a little after 9. We saw NEMO, Tough to be a bug, safari, did everest and had lunch. Around noon I received a message that they were still at the hotel - had had lunch, walked the trail and he was now playing on the play set.

Needless to say they never met us at the park as planned. I sent a text around 3 reminding of our reservations and reminded her that because of the party size she had her own reservations. I recommmended that she go ahead because we were running late and we would meet her at the MK.

I sent another message when we were en route and then again when we showed up at the MK. She told us where to meet her. When we finally made it we had 5 mintues to get to our destination, so I waived at her and said we need to get to the castle. If there was any part of the vacation where she may think I was short or frantic this would be it. I was irritated with myself for cutting everything so close. I even told her that I was sorry for running late but we gotta go. My fault totally.

Once at the castle for dinner we had a few minutes to talk about the next day. I reminded her of the plan and mentioned that my girls were going to dress up as princesses for breakfast at norway. She was irritated becasue she was worried her son would want to dress up as a princess. Yeah - odd i know ,but he's young and wants to do whatever my kids do. AT any rate I told her months before of the plan and that we would be taking the girls to bibbidi bobbidi boutique later that night. Again she was upset. I understood that she would do her own thing for the time that we were at BBB. I also mentioned options for dressing her son for breakfast and also suggested having him to the pirates league, etc. She was irritated, but all was wel lafter dinner. He had a great time at the castle -- hightlight of his trip I believe.

She was also upset that she didn't have her christmas party ticket prior to arrival at the park. She snapped at me because she didn't have her ticket and would have to go back to the front after dinner before going through the Christmas party. Had she been with us as planned she would have been given her tickets earlier.

At any rate after dinner we needed to head to the front of the park to check her in for the party. My husband proceeded to head to main street by taking the bridge from liberty square to the hub. They had stopped my friend becasue she didn't yet have her wrist bands. They wouldn't let her pass. I ran back to her and said sorry, but my husband was already at the hub and i needed to catch up because he had both girls. It old her I would meet her outside of the train station where you pick up strollers.

We immediately went to the train station and waited no less than 30 minutes for her. AFter 30 minutes I decided to take the girls to see Rapunzel. I sent my friend a text giving her directions to our location and asked if she wanted to come. I did not receive a response, so after seeing rapunzel I sent a text stating that we were going to see mickey and minnie in the same spot. Still no response. That took all of 30 minutes. After that I made one last attempt to contact her. I told her to send me a text if she wanted to meet up.

Nothing....

A little while later my husband sent a message asking if they were having a good time and did they want to meet up. She said they watched the parade and were heading back to the hotel to see the water parade of lights. This was around 8pm...party started at 7.

Her next message to my husband said, Your wife obviuosly doens't want to have a conversation with me, so I'll make it easy on you and let you have some family time.

This was interesting to me. I had been trying to communicate with her the whole time, but she didn't seem to want to do anything with us, so i was giving her some space.

The next message stated that they were going to check out the next day because her son had had enough of the parks (all 10 hours for the whole trip).

My issue is that she did not feel it necessary to communicate with me. I think after planning the trip, asking for her input, but not getting it and trying to plan things so that she and her family would get to see everythign they wanted that I at least deserve a ...we have had enough of this place....good bye. I got nothing.

My multiple emails and attempted phone calls were ignored. Instead she communicates through my husband.

So, tomorrow will make a month since I have seen or heard from her. Crazy times. In this friendship I have always been the one doing the apologizing becasue she is never wrong. This time I'm not doing it. Makes me think if any of the other times were worth it.

Honestly the last month has been great. I have had time with my family and invested more time in relationships that are equal. I'm done with doing the contacting, etc. If you want to be my friend then show some love..call me to see how I'm doing for a change. I'm over contacting someone that obviously doesn't care. I feel like I have been a free babysitter for the past 4 years. I'm done with that.

A real friend could come to me and tell me if she thinks I have been a total butt head. I would never be a coward and report that I'm going home through my friends husband. If she thinks I was out of line then tell me -- that's what adults do. However, i just contradicted myself because I'm no longer willing to step out and take the blame or make the first contact. The friendship isn't that important to her, so after these posts are done it's done.

I still love my friend, but I'm putting my energy into friendships that are better. I have been drama free for a month and it has been awesome! I have enjoyed the extra time with my family and friends.

Maybe one day our paths will cross again and maybe we will be friends again. I"m not closing the door on the friendship...I'm just closing the door on the treatment. I'm not making the friend a priority anymore. When I become a priority for her then she will be a priority for me.

All in all despite the drama with that friendship I had an awesome time at Disney. My girls and husband were great...did so much, yet not enough. Cant' wait to return. Also, my reunion with my old college program roommate was great. So glad she was able to come over the lodge to catch up. One of the top 2 moments of the trip. The other was my girls at bibbidi bobbid boutique...they loved that so much. So glad I didn't listen to my friends wishes and cancel that.

Love Disney -- Love my framily -- good times!!!

I'm happy to hear you still enjoyed yourself and you and your family had a great time ! Your friend just didn't "get" the whole Disney experience. This is why I normally travel with just my family and if another family tags along with us .. we don't hang out often .. we each make our own plans.
I'm too set in my ways to have to worry about other people and their wants and needs. I know it sounds harsh .. but Disney is an expensive trip and every minute is valuable. I can't see wasting it on waiting on or worrying about other people besides my own family.
Your report was very good reading, I have to say ! Quite different than others I've read. :thumbsup2
I hope you make it back soon !!

i agree with the previous poster, time is so limited at disney that it is really hard to manage when people have very different priorities. i know i am a rope drop person, and would be really antsy if my companions were not morning people . another thing is that it is very time consuming to plan a trip and unless a person has devoted all that time to getting the reservations for meals etc, they simply don't seem to appreciate it. it is a shame things didn't work out with your friend, but at least you got to enjoy the parks with your family. hope your next trip has less stress:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter