Why I personally won't go to WDW in December again...

Also, I didn't crash MVMCP. We had ADRs at 6:00 at LTT and didn't finish until after 7 so we needed to trek through the crowds who had arrived for the party so we could leave. I too would be annoyed if I had paid and they let people in without wristbands. However, based on the masses that were coming in I am glad I didn't buy a ticket.

Oh, please forgive me, I didn't mean to imply that you had crashed the MVMCP, we saw many who did without bracelets (and there have been many threads on this issue, so I wasn't picking on you). I was only pointing out that there are were other nights that you could have stayed late besides the MVMCP night. Also, I do understand the transportation issue, but Disney has designed the transporation so that we have to use those ways to get to the restaurants that they have at the resorts. My family used the Monorail to get to Ohanas twice, but again that is a Disney issue no matter when you go. But I do love Christmas and I love Disney, so to have them together is the best in my book. I have been in September and October and we just love Christmas better.

I also agree with everything you posted. We are usually "January" goers. I will be going back in January from now on. I really missed those low crowds and cooler temps.

I really hope I didn't offend anyone who loves to travel in December. I think it's very personal and I did have a great vacation and am glad we experienced it. I just have no interest in going at that time again.

Don't worry about offending anyone. This is your opinion and everyone is allowed that. I think it is wonderful that there is something for everyone at WDW. We can all be allowed to like what we like despite some people taking it so personally. I'm glad to hear your opinions.

Jerry

Just adding my 2 cents as we were in WDW from Dec 8th-19th. This was our third trip in Dec. It was by far the best weather we have ever had. But, we are from Wisconsin and we know to plan for everything...and we have seen it. While I don't think the crowds were that bad. I will say that each year they have definately increased. We used to be able to just stay on a ride and keep going around. We were never able to do that this time. We were at the parks at rope drop and were able to do many things before lunch and then go back to the BCV and hit the pool. I think with the dining plan restuarants have become so crowded and the Poly was no exception. We had breakfast at Kona and dinner and went to the luau. Every time the lobby and upstairs areas were very crowded. But the same was true for the AKL, GFR, BCV and WL we ate mostly at resorts. We will continue to go in Dec. however we will also continue to make adjustments to our schedule. :)

It's funny to read the posts surprised by the crowds, we have been to WDW six times and felt like this was BY FAR the lowest crowd levels we have seen. I have never seen Splash be a walk on all day long, or 15 minute waits for Space Mountain at 4 pm. We followed Tour Guide Mike's suggestions about the best days to go to which parks, maybe that was the difference. We were there the 12-21st and were blown away by the perfect weather (all but one day) and short ride lines. We were at AK one day and won dream fast passes, we only used the ones for EE, everything else was virtually a walk on.

This last trip was my fourth early Dec trip in a row. I have had weather that was overly hot (this past trip) and so cold the rhodies were curling up their leaves and you could see your breath in the air!!! And everything in between. I have been to MVMCP 4 times now....yes, they did a much better job of keeping out the non-paying guests years ago when they closed the park for an hour before starting the party. But, that cost Disney money, so I doubt we will ever see that again...more's the pity.
Crowds? Well, the crowds were certainly much better than they have been on any of my June through August trips. But, each year the crowds have gotten larger. But, I don't go to the party to do attractions per se. I go to get together with friends, and we like to head to the various shows and the parade and fireworks.
I went to the Dec 6 party and it was relatively crowded but not unmanagable. In fact, I wanted to go to the party on the 11th but found it to be sold out. I couldn't beleive it was sold out and so far before Christmas! So, I went to the nightime EMHs the night before at MK, on the 10th. My friend didnt' want to go because we had been finding the evening EMHs were hugely crowded but off we went anyway. It was incredibly emtpy for a change. I have a feeling that the parties had taken away some of the numbers of people.
But, I think 'crowded' is a relative term. I overhead people talking about the party on the 11th, as I was leaving WDW for the airport. They were talking about how wonderful it was and there werent' that many people there. And I had just overheard someone at the Boardwalk Bakery saying how crowded the party was the night before, a complete waste of money. So...the exact same situation, but two completely different takes on it.

I will continune my December trips to WDW. I go to get together with those same friends, I try to take my time and enjoy the time together.

Hmm we were there the same time as you.

1. Lets see our schedule went like this -
Wednesday night - MK - wait times were 20 min at the most (and that was space mountain) everything else was 5 or 10 min. It looked crowded... there were lots of people, but thats just how MK looks, unless its empty. There just isnt a lot of walkway space.

2. MVMCP isnt for everyone, and its busier on weekend nights but weve been the past 10 years and its amazing for us. Im not sure how you could base your opinion on the partys worth if you didnt go.

3. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, so maybe its different up north, but round here, we dont have 50 foot x-mas trees, garland strung on every inch of outdoors space, etc etc etc. Im not sure what youd expect going at Christmas time... youd see Christmas decorations...

I'm sure you were 'upset' about these things, but in the grand perspective of going to Disney im just not sure why you felt the need to post about these hit or miss things and possibly taint other peoples perspective... idk.

After a few days, I found the music and decorations distracting from the reason I go to Disney. I live in New England and we've got enough holiday cheer up here.

Yes. I thought I was being a grinch, too! We went Dec '06 and although it was great to see everything decorated and all the festivities, it will be our first and last trip at that time. I was stressed when I got home and felt like I missed my whole Christmas traditions at home (shopping, baking, wrapping - everything had to be done before I went) We are January visitors and next year we'll try November (between F&W and Thanksgiving), which will be the beginning of the Christmas season, but we'll give it a try. And oh yeah, I forgot about the Disney music. Can't wait 'til our trip next month!! :cool1:

I'm sure you were 'upset' about these things, but in the grand perspective of going to Disney im just not sure why you felt the need to post about these hit or miss things and possibly taint other peoples perspective... idk.

It's not that I was upset, but there were things I hadn't considered prior to booking this trip that would factor so heavily into my enjoyment of a vacation that are not issues at other times of the year. Having now experienced those things (2 nor easters that effected air travel drastically at the start and end of my trip, the hectic nature of the Holiday season and all there is to get done, the crowds (again, I think this has a lot to do with staying at a resort on the monorail line and feeling 'crowded' all the time) I formed my own opinion of Disney in December. Those things could have been anticipated, but what I wasn't prepared for was how much I missed Disney as I know it. The Osbourne Lights were amazing and I loved that experience, but otherwise I found myself longing for the Disney music and traditional look and sounds of Main Street. I also felt it was not possible for me to just mentally check out and be on vacation because the "50 foot x-mas trees, garland strung on every inch of outdoors space, etc etc etc." were constant reminders of all the shopping, baking, wrapping, etc. that needed to get done and rather than just enjoy the time away I was in tune with what needed to be done when I got back. Again, a PERSONAL feeling and my OPINION.

It's just that these things hadn't crossed my mind before I went and are the reasons why I personally won't go back in December. I personally enjoy reading other people's perspectives and opinions and appreciate when someone sheds light on something I may not have thought about. I certainly wouldn't let someone else's opinion make a decision for me, but I do take things into consideration as a point to ponder in my own mind.

My goal was not to "taint other people's perspectives." With respect, if you do not feel people should be sharing their views or opinions with others why did you read this thread and why did you share your own personal experience and opinion? I don't see how that is any different.

I'm sure you had a great vacation and I am glad you enjoyed it. People enjoy going to Disney at different times of the year for different reasons. I like reading all the pros and cons to each season in Disney and I am capable of filtering opinions to know which applies to me and which doesn't.

There were more people this year when we went (7-14) then last year when we went (10-16). The weather was perfect the entire trip and there were loads of locals. I was told that was the big difference in the crowds which would make sense to me. Certainly won't stop us from going during our favorite time of the year. We are all ready booked for next year. :thumbsup2

It's not that I was upset, but there were things I hadn't considered prior to booking this trip that would factor so heavily into my enjoyment of a vacation that are not issues at other times of the year. Having now experienced those things (2 nor easters that effected air travel drastically at the start and end of my trip, the hectic nature of the Holiday season and all there is to get done, the crowds (again, I think this has a lot to do with staying at a resort on the monorail line and feeling 'crowded' all the time) I formed my own opinion of Disney in December. Those things could have been anticipated, but what I wasn't prepared for was how much I missed Disney as I know it. The Osbourne Lights were amazing and I loved that experience, but otherwise I found myself longing for the Disney music and traditional look and sounds of Main Street. I also felt it was not possible for me to just mentally check out and be on vacation because the "50 foot x-mas trees, garland strung on every inch of outdoors space, etc etc etc." were constant reminders of all the shopping, baking, wrapping, etc. that needed to get done and rather than just enjoy the time away I was in tune with what needed to be done when I got back. Again, a PERSONAL feeling and my OPINION.

It's just that these things hadn't crossed my mind before I went and are the reasons why I personally won't go back in December. I personally enjoy reading other people's perspectives and opinions and appreciate when someone sheds light on something I may not have thought about. I certainly wouldn't let someone else's opinion make a decision for me, but I do take things into consideration as a point to ponder in my own mind.

My goal was not to "taint other people's perspectives." With respect, if you do not feel people should be sharing their views or opinions with others why did you read this thread and why did you share your own personal experience and opinion? I don't see how that is any different.

I'm sure you had a great vacation and I am glad you enjoyed it. People enjoy going to Disney at different times of the year for different reasons. I like reading all the pros and cons to each season in Disney and I am capable of filtering opinions to know which applies to me and which doesn't.

Well said!:thumbsup2

Unfortunately in every season there is a chance some sort of weather can mess with your travel. :upsidedow

I totally agree with this one. If you don't want weather to affect your travel, then I figure May is about the best month. You won't be traveling during hurricane season. You won't be traveling during the severe weather that comes in the spring, and you won't be traveling when there's any possibility of winter storms. I always end up spending more money on the room when I travel during hurricane season, because I want a room with a microwave - so it's got to be either a familiy suite or DVC unit. I've been at Disney during hurricanes before, and it makes a big difference in the quality of your enforced room experience if you can have a hot meal.

However, while I feel the holiday WDW experience should be done at least once, I can understand really enjoying the traditional WDW experience as well. I like the regular Main St. music, and the unobstructed views of the castle. I just like the holiday stuff too. I'm fortunate in living close enough to experience both. If you've done the holiday Disney and prefer the regular, there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make the holiday stuff bad - it's just personal preference.

I'm in agreement with the high crowd levels in December.

We were there the 13th thru the 18th. We stayed at the Boardwalk so our only use of buses was to the MK and AK. Had no problems with crowded buses or waits for buses. The Boardwalk area was an oasis of calm, quiet, and relaxation. Not busy or crowded at all. Walked right into Spoodles for breakfast. The only wait was for the Pats game on Sunday at the ESPN club.

I thought the crowds in the parks were very heavy for what is supposed to be a traditionally "slow" time of the year. We were in Epcot on Friday the 14th and it was listed as a 4 in UG. By 9:30 there was already a 30-40 wait for Soarin that lasted all day. It is not that the wait time for rides was unreasonable, there were just sooooooo many people!

The walkways were crowded, the restaurants were crowded, the restrooms were crowded, the public areas and shops were crowded. If you hit the parks at rope drop you could get a lot of attractions checked off your list, but the commando approach doesn't work for everyone, every day.

We had considered going a week earlier, but then you are bumping into the Pop Warner crowds. Have been in November during Jersey Week and that was crowded too. We used to go in January and it was very quiet. If we were to go back again it would probably be mid-January after the marathon.

I haven't read all the postings on this thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

We went to WDW in December 2006. It was our first time to go around Christmas (we were there from the 11th through the 21st).

We loved the decorations and all, but we decided that we would not be going back to WDW around December - at least not for a long time. We didn't mind the crowds - we kind of counted on it being crowded (it was December, Christmas was coming soon and we were in Disney - crowds we figured on); what we didn't figure on were how rude the crowds would be. And even most of the CMs we encountered were not the happiest or the friendliest either. It was kind of sad - we were hoping for a "magical" time and it wasn't much different than going shopping at the local mall near Christmas time. I actually had one person say to me "what the he*l are you happy about?" Totally shocked me as I was in the middle of a conversation with my DH, waiting for the parade at MK to begin!

DH & I have discussed going to MK during the 2nd week of November (just before Thanksgiving and right after the Super Soap Weekend) if we want to get our "Disney Christmas Fix". Not sure how the crowds are at that time.

I think my favorite time to go so far has been May; though I did enjoy the weather on my last trip (in November).

Just my 2 cents.

Just for fun, I checked Tour Guide Mike's suggestions for December 14th, he did not reccomend Epcot, it was listed as busiest of the four parks in the morning and the evening.

OP-Thank you for sharing your opinions and insight. I have to agree with you and many others after our first December trip, 12/15-12/23. We found the parks beautifully decorated but crowded and difficult to get around. Normally we are August-September people, and like the crowds and waits much better during that time. I had an absolutely magical vacation, and I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to see Christmas at Disney, but it was hard to get ready for Christmas, and that really added to the holiday stress. My family discussed our visit and decided that our next trip will be in the sweltering heat of August. That is what a Disney vacation feels like to us!

Happy New Year!

...what we didn't figure on were how rude the crowds would be...

We felt the same when we made our weekly visit to WDW during the month of December. We found most of the CMs happy and friendly enough (did run into a few grumps, though), but the WDW guests were downright rude and definitely not filled with Christmas spirit! We had lunch at Epcot and had to move our seats when the gentleman at the next table wouldn't stop using his colorful language during his meal with his very small children. Rude crowds were at an all time high IMO.

We love Disney any time, though, and we were able to visit the attractions we love without too much of a wait. We took a couple of first-timers with us on the 15th, and they got to ride all of the great rides at MK and saw all the best shows in just one day.

Completely agree on the crowds, we just returned last week and found the crowds to be extremely heavy. December is our normal time to go as of late because we really enjoy all of the holiday offerings but, from now on we will stick to going down the day after Thanksgiving, we have had much better luck with crowds that week.

We felt the same when we made our weekly visit to WDW during the month of December. We found most of the CMs happy and friendly enough (did run into a few grumps, though), but the WDW guests were downright rude and definitely not filled with Christmas spirit! We had lunch at Epcot and had to move our seats when the gentleman at the next table wouldn't stop using his colorful language during his meal with his very small children. Rude crowds were at an all time high IMO.

We love Disney any time, though, and we were able to visit the attractions we love without too much of a wait. We took a couple of first-timers with us on the 15th, and they got to ride all of the great rides at MK and saw all the best shows in just one day.

It is the Christmas "spirit" - the Grinch Christmas Spirit! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter