Why have you NOT bought DVC?

The moderators puzzled on this one.. because it's really not a ThemeParks topic.. but it doesn't seem like a DVC topic either.

After discussing it - we've agreed that Disney Resorts is probably the best fit for this thread.

See ya there!

Knox

We did buy a few years ago, but I feel qualified to answer your question because we held off for YEARS. Here's why: at the time when we didn't buy, we were able to stay in the deluxes with really good discount codes in the off-peak times. Well slowly but sure, to us at least, the codes really started to dry up, and they are definitely not what they used to be (or it's free dining, which isn't exactly what we were excited about--we wanted to save real hard cash). Plus, it was just an annoyance to hope for a code that may never ever come.

We also didn't want to pay so much up-front OR finance, so we looked at buying a small contract on resale, which is exactly what we did. I think it was 100 points. It was cheaper than full price, plus we didn't have to purchase the minimum 150 points which was the requirement at the time.

Fast forward several years -- DH wonders why we waited so long (he was the one who held off mostly).

As a side note, I thought I would really miss mousekeeping. I don't at all. I now find whenever I stay in ANY hotel, whenever we have to leave the room, I always have a certain level of anxiety that somebody will be in here in and amongst our stuff. Plus, we would leave, and often find the maid there when we really wanted to go to the bathroom, or we were just back from the pool, or any other majorly inconvenient time. OR, they hadn't come STILL, and DS had to have a nap or something. In the end, I now find it all an annoyance. We are fairly tidy people anyways. We don't mind re-using our towels either.

I can tell you why I didn't purchase back in 2002 when I first looked into it. The price and points. At the time I had just purchased a Marriott week. I understood Marriott hotel points and floating weeks. Marriott was about $5-$7k cheaper than Disney. But I just didn't understand the whole points per night and season system. It confused me no end as I couldn't figure out how many points we'd need.

When I had my fill of Marriott purchases, I went back and looked it over again in '06. That time studying the point charts and realizing just how I like to vacation in Orlando made it possible for me to get a handle on it.

I like to go ever year and stay at the deluxe resorts.

Have you ever heard of the GOLDEN RULE? "he who has all the gold, makes all the rules" :thumbsup2 If I give them my $16,000 up-front and then have to follow a maze of rules, restrictions, fees, and worry about possable future changes (in cost cutting).... who has all the Power in this relationship :confused3 NOT ME :guilty:

I go to a deluxe, and each year- I can ask Disney if they want my money and what they are going to do to earn my business? Sort of like the people that complained they got bad service when the Dining Plan included a mandatory tip... Server's had no incentive to work for their money.

MY SECOND POINT.... is why does DISNEY make it so complicated? If something is a good deal, make it soooo simple that everyone can see what a good deal it is :banana: If something is NOT :cool2: such a great deal... make it very complicated so the buyer doesn't have a easy time doing the math... :headache: and figuring out exactly what he gets.

MY LAST POINT...
I don't want to compete against other DVC owners for the best time of year to go, for the best resort, or the best rooms. :3dglasses Every year they sell more and more DVC's and the people find DisBoards and get all the best tips. You all end-up competing for things like those 2 weeks at Christmas time LOL

We did not buy because:

• the maintenance fees are too high
  • free dining is a much better option for us

Now, with that being said, we may buy in the future. I think that it is definitely a bargain for what you get and with the option to rent your points to others it could be a money maker. Right now, though, as long as there is free dining, there will be no DVC for us :)

I think the main reason we haven't bought is b/c we're eligible to stay at SOG... I watch the resales, I have done a lot of research on DVC and it looks pretty tempting, but I think the bottom line is, we can stay at SOG and have no commitment. I also fear how much they'll raise the annual dues, there's no housekeeping unless you pay for it...:confused3 so, for now.. SOG wins.

SOG?

toured SS and Boardwalk as we are interested BUT i'm waiting for Kingdom Towers :goodvibes

It is a resort for former/current military personnel that offers discounted rates for themselves and their families. It is on Disney property in between a few golf courses right near the Magic Kingdom. I think I have read that the accomodations are similar to those in Disney's deluxe level hotels. :)

To be honest, I don't know that much about DVC - I've never really researched it before. I guess because I'm afraid I'll want it! Cha-Ching!

My ILs talked to a DVC rep during our WDW trip in September 2000. They didn't buy it but now my MIL says she wishes she did since it costs much more now than it did almost 8 years ago.

I just don't see it being a good fit for us. Even going every year and spending 4k on each trip (air included and park tickets) at a deluxe resort. If we took our initial buy-in and put that cash into an investment acct, we could most likely fund the WDW vacations we want to take for quite some time. It's just not for us but I can see the appeal!

I have been pondering DVC.
All of the posts, for and against the DVC have been interesting.
I have never read anywhere in my research what happens if DH and I passed away? Would the contract be 'inherited' by our kids until the expiration date?
And what would happen if hard times hit and one couldn't sell resale or pay dues?
If you or your husband passes away, your kids would inherit.

I've really looked into it myself. My parents bought into it a couple years ago and have bought more points a couple times since. The thing that keeps me away is that they have a very hard time making reservations anymore. Disney has really been advertising the heck out of the DVC in the past 3 years and sales have skyrocketed. When my parents first joined (about 7 years ago) they had no problems making reservations a couple weeks in advance. Now, if they don't make them at their home resort about a year in advance, they are always on waitlist. I know they are building more DVC resorts, but the other night I saw Disney is now advertising to the public to rent a DVC room for almost the same price as a Deluxe Resort. What I don't understand is why it's suddenly so hard to book a room, especially when non-DVC members can rent one of the rooms.

Wow...you've received lots of replies already. I haven't read all of them so I hope I'm not repeating what someone else had already said. We were very seriously considering buying a DVC resale until I found out how much the annual maintenance fees are :scared1: . Wow! Talk about steep.

We have a points based timeshare with another company. The maintenance fees are considerably less and the timeshare itself is paid for. We were able to trade a week at one of our company's resorts for a week at VWL during the exact week that we wanted to go this year through Interval International. I know we aren't eligible for the other perks associated with DVC ownership, but this route is going to work for us for now without having to expend any additional money.

Well we should have bought it back in 2001 when we first thought about it since the price was lower and we have only stay at Deluxe since then until this March when we took and extra trip to Pop this year. It would have been worth the cost.
Now the price has gone up and we don't have $16,000 or more in a lump sum. We pay for our trips every year with money we save or our tax return. We don't want to finance DVC then it doesn't make financial sense. Lots of my friends own DVC and they love it. Also they have lots of points, much more than the $16,000 contract buys.

a very hard time making reservations anymore. Disney has really been advertising the heck out of the DVC in the past 3 years and sales have skyrocketed. When my parents first joined (about 7 years ago) they had no problems making reservations a couple weeks in advance. Now, if they don't make them at their home resort about a year in advance, they are always on waitlist. .

Yep that's what I say :chat: :jumping1: :rainbow: party: :chat: Crowds keep going up....booking times keep getting pushed further and further back. You have no control.

Isn't the DVC not a permanent investment as a condo would be? Don't you have to relinquish your rights after 50 years?

We just got back from WDW and a 6 night stay at WL. This is the first time we stayed at a deluxe. We loved it and are planning a trip the first week of Dec and staying at the Poly. As much as we liked WL we realize that we really need a monorail resort for several reasons:

1. We spend most of our time between Epcot and MK

2. I have some minor health issues that don't always make it easy for me to do a lot of walking and if I don't have to walk to buses on a regular basis to go to a park that's better.

3. I did see the building of the tower at the Contemporary while we were there and it looks like they are building a monorail line to go through it. If this is the case we'll serious reconsider DVC. But as of right now there are no DVC resorts on the monorail.

DH is active duty military. We have 3 yrs left before retirement and are saving diligently so DH can go to law school after retirement. DH is a pilot and does not want to do that any longer. He's flown airplanes since college and enjoys it recreationally but is so burned out on doing it for a living.

I just don't see myself staying anywhere else but Poly or GF. Plus I agree with a lot of the other posters who said that you pay $16K for something you don't own.

I've thought about it, but we usually do longer trips (10 days, normally), and from what I've seen (haven't done a ton of research), we'd need way more points for that than we can afford without financing, and we don't want/need another payment right now. We don't mind the value resorts at all either, so we're good without it.

It is a resort for former/current military personnel that offers discounted rates for themselves and their families. It is on Disney property in between a few golf courses right near the Magic Kingdom. I think I have read that the accomodations are similar to those in Disney's deluxe level hotels. :)

exactly! www.shadesofgreen.org

they're compared to deluxe rooms. they are much larger than deluxe rooms though! very nice place, w/table and chairs, refrigerator, daily housekeeping and price depends on your rank. This Dec. will cost us $117 per night and there is no tax :woohoo: I just can't see paying for DVC when we can stay at Shades. Its just a short walk from the Poly:cloud9: plus if they are sold out, sometimes Disney will offer a discount at one of the disney resorts. That is why we stayed at the Poly in Dec. 07:love: we got an overflow rate. It equaled like 20% off...I'll take it:yay:

Another reason I forgot to list:

It works out pretty evenly if you consider rack rates, the rate at which they are increasing versus DVC points, annual dues and the rate at which they are increasing. However, the absolute best you can hope for with DVC, is that the price doesn't go up. It will never go down. With resort rates, though not a guarentee, there is always a possibility of discounts, such as AAA or Annual Pass. You factor in the money you'd be ahead by getting a discount every now and again, and you're making out much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter