Why Have Diaper Changing Tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not offended by diapers being changed in public, but my concern is the unknown pedofile lurking about. With technology as it is these days, people can get pictures of anything. I prefer to use privacy whenever possible.
On rare occasions (like if a changing table has a line...that has happened) I will change DD diaper in her stoller (we own it, no one else is getting in it). I use a wall and my husband to block any view. She will be 2 a week from today and she is already starting to request to potty, so we will soon be diaperless!

I am so going to have to disagree with the OP on this one. Would you want to be sitting next to that child on the entire Safari? There are no bathrooms right before you board.
No, but there are bathrooms very, very close to the ride entrance and there was literally no line...it was walk-on. Just seems to be sheer laziness that she couldn't walk to that restroom...it would have taken an additional five minutes at most.

I am so going to have to disagree with the OP on this one. Would you want to be sitting next to that child on the entire Safari? There are no bathrooms right before you board.

Yes, but the OP said the ride was a walk-on at that point. The mother could have easily left the line and used the nearest restroom to change the diaper. When you take a baby anywhere, you have to make allowances for their needs. So you get on the ride 10 minutes later? Big deal. That's part of being a parent.

I am one of the mother's that chose to use a changing table in Epcot recently and still had a woman stand in the bathroom, stare at me and hold her nose. My DD's diaper was rather stinky but when I looked up and saw this woman standing there watching me and holding her nose, it took all I had not to say something to her. She had plenty of room to walk around me and not stand there and watch.

How silly of that other woman. Why didn't she just do what she had to do and move along?! Why stand there holding your nose?? How dumb is that.

He explained that since I was "foreign" (we're Scottish) maybe I wasn't aware that it was illegal in Florida (not sure about the rest of the US) to change a baby's diaper in public and that if I'd been caught I could be fined up to $1000.

Is this true???

Diapers should be changed where there is running water and soap. We've all been in situations where there was not a sink available immediatley. That being said, I think changing a diaper in a line for a ride is discusting. There is no reason that the parent cannot leave the line, and then come back after changing the baby. We took all three of our children to WDW when they were in diapers. I never even considered changing them in a line, or anywhere near people eating, gross!:scared1: Just my two cents................

I changed DS's wet diaper while he was in our stroller when I was in a jam. We were at the zoo and I pulled off to the side and tried to be as discreet (and quick) as possible. For me, Poopy diapers are completely different. For one I want to be able to wash my hands with soap and water afterwards, and secondly it's just plain grosse. If the OP said the woman was changing the soiled diaper in her stroller I might cut her some slack, but using a public bench is rude. I have to say, some of the posts talking about people changing diapers on tables makes me gag.

JMHO

:goodvibes I'm sorry I would want to get them off ASAP and I do not think I would want a little one to have to wait.It is part of life little one's fill up diapers and we change them.So I don't care where they change them I am happy the baby does not have to wear a soiled diaper any longer than they have to.If a dirty and stinking diaper and seeing a babys dirty butt is the worst thing that happens to me in this world I am the luckiest man alive.:goodvibes :goodvibes

I agree that it's not that big if a deal to me & it's just a part of life, but I think its the fact that people often don't think about common manners towards others. There is definately no shortage of bathrooms at WDW that someone can't wait an extra few minutes to step inside a bathroom to change their kid. People eat on those public benches, they rest there, etc...there is absolutely no reason why someone would need to do that. An ocassional emergency-sure, but I hope that bench is properly sanitized right after.

Is this true???

I very much doubt it, nor have I ever seen a law like that in Florida. I think even if there was such a law, it would be difficult to enforce, especially in a place like Disney World, that caters to so many visitors.

I just did a search on that law and wouldn't you know it I couldn't find it. I think that person was just making it up.

Well, for a brief time I worked at the safari attraction at AK. Once, I was working the loading dock, when I saw a woman change her child's diaper on the seat after she had been loaded (that's not a pun, by the way). She then, of course, proceeded to hand me the completely full diaper to dispose of for her.
You know, there are days when you work at Disney when it's kind of hard to be nice to everyone.:rolleyes1

:goodvibes I'm sorry I would want to get them off ASAP and I do not think I would want a little one to have to wait.It is part of life little one's fill up diapers and we change them.So I don't care where they change them I am happy the baby does not have to wear a soiled diaper any longer than they have to.If a dirty and stinking diaper and seeing a babys dirty butt is the worst thing that happens to me in this world I am the luckiest man alive.:goodvibes :goodvibes

I'm with you!.....except I'd be the luckiest woman :lmao: :lmao:
Changing babies, nursing babies, naked babies....simply do not faze me.

Going on eight years of diapering-I can whip a diaper off and have a new one on in five seconds. This is for wet only.
However, I will use a changing table or bathroom when possible. At Disney this is no problem but some places do not have changing tables and some places are so bad I will not change my child there.:scared1:
I have changed my child many times in the car, stroller, secluded area. Never in a line or well populated area or a table.

Going on five years, probably with another two more, of changing diapers I WOULD never change a poopy diaper on a park bench or table. If we are out and there is no bathroom around we usually head back to the car and change.

Note to self.... bring clorex wipes and disinfect everything in site :rotfl:

It's about common courtesy. She couldn't be bothered to go a couple minutes out of her way to hit the restroom ( I don't care how long or short the line is) then maybe she shouldn't travel with a baby. Just because you don't mind sitting on a bench covered with feces doesn't mean everyone is OK with it. It's not too much of a leap to believe if she is rude enough to change a poopy diaper right there she is not courteous to clean up after herself. And if the child has not had all of their shots, really a public bench is cleaner than a microbial changing table near soap and water? Seriously? If everyone took a few minutes to think of those around them and not just themselves, maybe there wouldn't be so many fights and fits of rage. I agree- using your private carriage or stroller is one hting- a public bench or table is quite another.

Whenever I see this I do remind people how close a restroom always is and where the nearest restroom is.

I have even seen a boy peeing in the playground in MK that I had to intervene with (the parents of course I didn't talk to the kid) so you just see everything here :/

And honestly to the people who are saying this sort of stuff doesn't phase them-well thats great but it bothers other people, this is about courtesy and respect of others in a public, crowded area... this shouldn't be just about your personal self.

I think the situation the op mentioned is offensive. I would never change my children on a public bench. Also, I wouldnt want their heineys touching that dirty bench! I always find a decent changing area, and I carry some large disposable changing pad covers, or if no area is available, I would find the most secluded spot I could and have my husband or other party members sheild the child and change them laying in the stoller as another poster has mentioned. I realize that bodily functions are a fact of life, but goodness sakes.

I'm with you!.....except I'd be the luckiest woman :lmao: :lmao:
Changing babies, nursing babies, naked babies....simply do not faze me.

Nursing babies and naked babies don't have the issue of HYGIENE in common with poopy diapers.

I'm not embarrassed to pop out my **** anytime in public...I try to be discreet, but it isn't easy with little hands pulling at your shirt :rotfl:. But I would never change a dirty diaper on a bench or table unless a restroom wasn't available.

eta: guess b__b is a dirty word. :lmao: um, breast?

I have had to once change DS on a bench before. It's no fun. We were at a zoo with no bathrooms close by and when he goes #2 he has to be changed right away b/c of sensitive skin issues. Now, in no way did I put him just on the bench. I put one of his baby blankets down and then put the changing pad I always carry on top of that. I found a very secluded bench and changed him as fast as I could. I then put his diaper in a bag so I could throw it away in the bathroom when we would finally reach it. After I was all done with him, I used the antibacterial gel.

There are sometimes circumstances where you have to do what you have to do. I don't think in line is one of them. A couple of months before the bench at the zoo, we were at WDW and had just gone into American Adventure and the hsow had literaly just started when we heard the sounds of poo. We got up and left so that I could change him in the bathroom. Whatever ride/show/etc will still be there 10 minutes later.

Im sorry but it's completely unsanitary for someone to change a child's diaper on a bench that someone might be eating on a few minutes later. You can take the 5 minutes to go find a bathroom and deal with your issues.

I don't have kids and I don't feel I should have to deal with anyone else's kids' fecal matter. It's just gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter