• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why has Hollywood struggled to make high quality sci fi movies set in fantastical settings that are not Marvel or Star Wars during the 2010s?

The new Dune movies are every thing I dreamed a top quality serious adult sci fi movie series set in a fantastical world would be 10 years ago after getting into the sci fi genre after experiencing the Mass Effect video games.

Why has it took so long to get something like Dune 2021 and 2024?

There were awesome sci fi movies during the 2010s, Interstellar, The Martian, Ex Machina, Arrival, etc. but they were set in near future realistic settings rather than a fantastical universe like Dune or Mass Effect.

I remember Jupiter Ascending and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets but they weren't very good.

I wish we gotten something like the 2020s Dune movies instead of the J.J. Abrams Trek movies during the early 2010s.

I loved the MCU but did it's massive success as well as the success of the J.J. Abrams Star Trek cause Hollywood to think that light hearted sci fi movies would be more successful?

Love Sci-Fi, original Dune was ehhh so much less than the book. Then again, CGI only recently caught up to imagination although some special effects have a classic appeal if done well. The new Dune is fantastic, just rewatched it and hope to go see it soon.

Why Marvel and Star Wars? Guess is it is all about the benjamins. Movies are business and the franchises have fans so even making crap in a franchise will have some people show up so the investors put their money there. Meanwhile, it takes faith and effort to make a new great thing which can make so much more money for the investment but they don't do it so I suppose they can't spot talent any more or maybe talent isn't the point and it is all about execs using their position to gift friends and family with a career and paycheck? Even so lets be honest, even when a new thing is amazing they screw it up, like we loved Grogu and then they didn't want him in the follow up season until an uproar... just why? Ugggh, reminds me that Star Wars has veered so far into the outer rim that the original talent in all aspects is light years away.

This has been touched on in other venues. One issue is the high cost of modern movies. It's not unusual for a "blockbuster" to cost hundreds of millions to produce and the movie often has to make back at least twice or more of it's cost to be considered profitable. Easier to do a sequel than take the (expensive) chance on something new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter