• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

why don't return guests get treated right?

Kurby

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my trou
I always found it funny when we call WDW for questions or to book our next trip and they say "Oh Mrs. V. we see here you've been to our resorts every year for the past 12 years. Welcome back" then when I ask "do you have better deals for returning guests they always say - "oh... no"

the last time I called I asked why do you make us say how many times we've been in and how many times since 2002 if you don't treat us any different then someone booking for the first time or someone booking for the 50th time. the answer...... it's just for marketing purposes.

hummm not exactly the answer i was hoping for.

so - why is it that if you were staying at the Hilton, Holiday Inn, Hampton Suites etc... you can get a preferred client card and get discounts on future stays but Disney doesn't do anything?

is it because they know we'll still come down regardless? or are they just so clueless that they are missing the chapter that says treat returning guests a little better because THEY RETURN.

is it because they know we'll still come down regardless? or are they just so clueless that they are missing the chapter that says treat returning guests a little better because THEY RETURN.

Unfortunately, the corporate side of Disney really either doesn't have to worry about, or they just simply don't worry about this. That magical mouse keeps us going back. If there is one thing I have learned as of late, it is this, there are two sides to Disney, the corporate, and the mouse/pixie dust side. I simply believe they really don't care that much and know that we will go back, sad but true IMHO.

In order to continue to LOVE Disney, enjoy and obsess over my vacation with the mouse, I have to treat them as two entities....otherwise, it is ruined.

So............I go and have a blast, with pixie dust and Mickey! Try to leave the corporate/business at the door, or I feel like I am being taken and raked over the coals. That way, no disappointment!

Well said Laura001. They are a multi billon dollar corporation in the business of making money and you have to accept that. You can speak with your wallet and take your vacation dollars somewhere else where you feel more appreciated.

VERY well said Laura. :thumbsup2

is it because they know we'll still come down regardless?

If not *us*, the next sucker for Disney will...

That's one thing I really like about Universal Studios. Because I have stayed so often at the Loews hotels onsite, I automatically get upgraded to a suite at the price of their cheapest available room. On our last visit, we had a two bedroom suite at the Portofino hotel with club privileges (regular rate $1600/night) for $224/night.

Years ago, and the ONLY thing we have ever received to acknowledge having been there before...staying at the 'Disney Inn' and coming into wonderful Choc Chip cookies and a Pitcher of Milk waiting in our room with a note welcoming us back. That was it, once

:confused3

I always found it funny when we call WDW for questions or to book our next trip and they say "Oh Mrs. V. we see here you've been to our resorts every year for the past 12 years. Welcome back" then when I ask "do you have better deals for returning guests they always say - "oh... no"

the last time I called I asked why do you make us say how many times we've been in and how many times since 2002 if you don't treat us any different then someone booking for the first time or someone booking for the 50th time. the answer...... it's just for marketing purposes.

hummm not exactly the answer i was hoping for.

so - why is it that if you were staying at the Hilton, Holiday Inn, Hampton Suites etc... you can get a preferred client card and get discounts on future stays but Disney doesn't do anything?

They do treat returning guests better when they are DVC members. We get treatment that many other guests dream they had. We get welcomed home and we get a great AP discount (not that we use that) we also get great discounts on dining and entertainment think Cirque among other things.

That's one thing I really like about Universal Studios. Because I have stayed so often at the Loews hotels onsite, I automatically get upgraded to a suite at the price of their cheapest available room. On our last visit, we had a two bedroom suite at the Portofino hotel with club privileges (regular rate $1600/night) for $224/night.

That also could show a low occupance in the resort which facilitates the upgrade it happens at ALK also quite often mind you it won't now that DVC is taking over the concierge floors and building a new building along side it.

Lets do some quick math.

Avg vacation cost for hotel @ a moderate resort(regular season) standard view.
$185.63 x 7 night = $1299.41 x 12 years = $15592.92 USD.

Doing this quick math why would you not by DVC and take advantage of the perks.........

we thought long and hard about getting buying into the DVC but for us the money just didn't add up. the minimum to buy into is $16kUSD plus about $500 a year for maintenance fees

for the $16000 USD we could purchase a brand new travel trailer and take our kids all over Canada and the States every year all summer long.

We LOVE WDW and if we could do both we definitely would but we just can't justify only going to WDW every year and not showing our children Canada and the States (we had a motor home when i was a kid and my parents showed us both country's)

I really wish Disney would have a rewards program! I try to stay at the Swan or Dolphin as much as possible so I can get the points.

Lets do some quick math.

Avg vacation cost for hotel @ a moderate resort(regular season) standard view.
$185.63 x 7 night = $1299.41 x 12 years = $15592.92 USD.

Doing this quick math why would you not by DVC and take advantage of the perks.........

Your math is correct however we do not want to go to Disney 12 years in a row when their is a hundred other places to see? Yes I am still having trouble understanding why people buy Disney time share?:confused3 I probably will never see the advantage but for some people the familiarity is a vacation for them.

Your math is correct however we do not want to go to Disney 12 years in a row when their is a hundred other places to see? Yes I am still having trouble understanding why people buy Disney time share?:confused3 I probably will never see the advantage but for some people the familiarity is a vacation for them.

We purchased DVC because you don't only have to use it at Disney we are going to take the kids to Whistler with our DVC points and you can go to Hawaii and numerous other places that you likeley wouldn't go to otherwise. We also have a trailer to travel around with the kids well the wife does anyhow I don't camp it is against everything I believe in.

We looked at buying into DVC the first month they were selling...and that was a long time ago now! Mulled it over for sometime then decided that though we do visit WDW every year, often 2-3 times, half the fun is trying the different Resorts. We may have favourites, but when there's something new to try, we are all over that!

Also didn't think it was that much of a bargain given the annual dues etc:confused3

I am not big on timeshares at all!

We purchased DVC because you don't only have to use it at Disney we are going to take the kids to Whistler with our DVC points and you can go to Hawaii and numerous other places that you likeley wouldn't go to otherwise. We also have a trailer to travel around with the kids well the wife does anyhow I don't camp it is against everything I believe in.

This is true however we can travel to these places without having to invest in a timeshare. I guess the one advantage is always having the security of knowing their is a set standard with Disney. On our end Hawaii, Whistler and Mexico are easily reached destinations just like WDW is on yours. A five star in Mexico is a three star by Canadian standards. Travelling through Disney does get around that and knowing your accomodations are clean and safe go a long way when you have kids.. I can understand the camping thing however. My dh was born and raised in Edmonton...well me...lol my Father is a retired federal park ranger so I grew up in the national parks until my parents had to move me to civilization to put me in Kindergarten. All I ever knew was roughing it as my Father took me on his daily park rounds on horseback and their are pictures of me all swaddled in pink riding in the saddle with dad at 6 weeks of age. Needless to say dh feels that camping is not a holiday it is just more work and I have spent my whole life doing just that so it is easy for us to meet in the middle. :goodvibes

We looked at buying into DVC the first month they were selling...and that was a long time ago now! Mulled it over for sometime then decided that though we do visit WDW every year, often 2-3 times, half the fun is trying the different Resorts. We may have favourites, but when there's something new to try, we are all over that!

Also didn't think it was that much of a bargain given the annual dues etc:confused3

I am not big on timeshares at all!

That was part of the appeal of DVC the ability to use all the Disney resorts with your points other than the values mind you vut we pay cash for our weekend stays there anyhow. As for the dues I just look at it is insurance and property tax and upkeep the same as we have on our house at home.

This is true however we can travel to these places without having to invest in a timeshare. I guess the one advantage is always having the security of knowing their is a set standard with Disney. On our end Hawaii, Whistler and Mexico are easily reached destinations just like WDW is on yours. A five star in Mexico is a three star by Canadian standards. Travelling through Disney does get around that and knowing your accomodations are clean and safe go a long way when you have kids.. I can understand the camping thing however. My dh was born and raised in Edmonton...well me...lol my Father is a retired federal park ranger so I grew up in the national parks until my parents had to move me to civilization to put me in Kindergarten. All I ever knew was roughing it as my Father took me on his daily park rounds on horseback and their are pictures of me all swaddled in pink riding in the saddle with dad at 6 weeks of age. Needless to say dh feels that camping is not a holiday it is just more work and I have spent my whole life doing just that so it is easy for us to meet in the middle. :goodvibes

LOL ya I feel that camping is more work than reward we did quite a bit of camping when I was a kid that was enough for me and also my family as we ended up buying a cottage up in Honey Harbour. My wife loves to camp and grew up camping all over Ontario and even had her parents convert a school bus to a motorhome for traveling LOL. I have agreed to camp once and it will be at Fort Wilderness but that won't be for quite some time LOL.

That was part of the appeal of DVC the ability to use all the Disney resorts with your points other than the values mind you vut we pay cash for our weekend stays there anyhow. As for the dues I just look at it is insurance and property tax and upkeep the same as we have on our house at home.

It could be different now, but when we were considering, there was a term to the duration of the timeshare and was not therefore a deeded property as some are. If I am to consider it 'paying insurance and property tax' then I want some big profit at the end of it!

Not for us but can see the appeal.

That also could show a low occupance in the resort which facilitates the upgrade it happens at ALK also quite often mind you it won't now that DVC is taking over the concierge floors and building a new building along side it.

Actually it is the Loews First rewards program. Works for all Loews properties around North America. We've also gotten suite upgrades in Santa Monica and Montreal due to the stays we have had in Orlando. Has nothing to do with low occupancy.

http://www.loews-first.com/loewsfirst_benefits.asp

all good points but getting back to my original post about returning guests - not including DVC...

i love Disney and i go because i love it and don't need to take my business else where because i feel unappreciated. i was just meaning that it would be nice to have some acknowledgement that we are returning guests. a note on the bed welcoming us back, a pair of ears for my child, an upgrade without asking, a coupon for a free photo taken by one of the Disney photographers... all these things are either free or pretty darn cheap for them to do but would make returning guests feel the "pixie magic" pixiedust: and that we are welcome and not just money machines (even though we are)

know what i mean?

pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter