Why dont people plan?

When they got back, his MIL said to us, "I don't know how you people do it, I hated Disney 20 years ago and I hate it now."
How could this be? We were told earlier in this thread that everyone who goes to WDW has a magical time. Except the "drop in the bucket" people who don't. I guess your MIL's family is in that bucket. :rotfl2:

How could this be? We were told earlier in this thread that everyone who goes to WDW has a magical time. Except the "drop in the bucket" people who don't. I guess your MIL's family is in that bucket. :rotfl2:

Of course, we've also been told that 20 years ago everything was so much better before Disney became money grubbing and greedy and taking away all the things that made it special, so it's hard to beleive that anyone could have possibly had a bad time in that Nirvana-esque period.

I think part of it is ignorance, but part of it is what people are told by Disney. Friends of ours went to Magic Kingdom for the day over spring break. They booked a hotel room in advance, drove to Orlando (from DC!), and then bought single day tickets at 3 or 4 different theme parks each day. NO advance planning other than to book the hotel, and even that was only a week in advance. After waiting in lines all day at Universal, when they bought their MK tickets her husband asked if there was anything they could buy to help with the lines (I guess you can buy something like that at Universal?). He was told they could...for $1000. Not a single mention of FP+. Granted, there was probably extremely limited availability, but still...someone should have at least mentioned it? Another friend just booked a trip for October. They snagged free dining, and for some reason upgraded their family of 5 to the deluxe dining plan because "with 3 kids someone is always hungry". I'm shocked that no one mentioned to them that the window to book dining had already opened, so her choices would be limited (so maybe wait on the whole upgrading thing until you check).

I think part of it is ignorance, but part of it is what people are told by Disney. Friends of ours went to Magic Kingdom for the day over spring break. They booked a hotel room in advance, drove to Orlando (from DC!), and then bought single day tickets at 3 or 4 different theme parks each day. NO advance planning other than to book the hotel, and even that was only a week in advance. After waiting in lines all day at Universal, when they bought their MK tickets her husband asked if there was anything they could buy to help with the lines (I guess you can buy something like that at Universal?). He was told they could...for $1000. Not a single mention of FP+. Granted, there was probably extremely limited availability, but still...someone should have at least mentioned it? Another friend just booked a trip for October. They snagged free dining, and for some reason upgraded their family of 5 to the deluxe dining plan because "with 3 kids someone is always hungry". I'm shocked that no one mentioned to them that the window to book dining had already opened, so her choices would be limited (so maybe wait on the whole upgrading thing until you check).

The $1000- What were they talking about?

I have no idea. Her husband didn't ask any more questions and I didn't have the heart to ask if they tried for FP+. The upside is that even though they were there that crazy week before Easter with no ADRs and no FP+ they had a blast.

I have no idea. Her husband didn't ask any more questions and I didn't have the heart to ask if they tried for FP+. The upside is that even though they were there that crazy week before Easter with no ADRs and no FP+ they had a blast.
I have a VIP Tour booked for November, I would much rather pay for some kind of $1k fast pass!!!!!!!! I'm googling right now but can't find anything :(

We came to the conclusion that people think going to Disney is more like going to Six Flags than like going to a major city. It makes me sad though, because I feel like those are the people that come back and HATE WDW. They complain about the lines and crowds and food, etc. But, had they done some research ahead of time, even basic research, they could have had a much better experience.
I agree with all of this... except that it doesn't make me sad! The info is out there for them just like it is for us. I'm clearly not as nice!! :rotfl:

Again -- a little bit of googling should tell someone that they should do at least SOME planning besides hotel and plane tickets for WDW. I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who choose not to do the MOST BASIC research.

You don't need to be an ultra-planner... just have a passing knowledge of googling or checking out a guidebook. :)

Last edited:

when they bought their MK tickets her husband asked if there was anything they could buy to help with the lines (I guess you can buy something like that at Universal?). He was told they could...for $1000.

Universal has a system that many other theme parks now have, their Express Pass and Unlimited Express pass allows a separate Fastpass-like entrance to most attractions. The unlimited one much doubles the price of the ticket. Of course, they sell so many, on busy days there can be a lot of diminished returns.

Can only guess one of the VIP tours. Ultimate VIP Tour gets you a tour access to rides in three parks...for $3oo a person (+PH ticket).

Universal has a system that many other theme parks now have, their Express Pass and Unlimited Express pass allows a separate Fastpass-like entrance to most attractions. The unlimited one much doubles the price of the ticket. Of course, they sell so many, on busy days there can be a lot of diminished returns.

Can only guess one of the VIP tours. Ultimate VIP Tour gets you a tour access to rides in three parks...for $3oo a person (+PH ticket).
Oh ok, yeah, I originally looked at that one as an option, but didn't notice the price once I found out it was a set tour. That's kind of tempting.....or more than kind of...lol. Those darn Star Wars characters and Jedi Training Academy...grrrr... ok, frustration passed, sorry ;)..or not, I may spend the next hour debating over this one and if it could work instead.lol

My husband thinks I'm crazy for reserving restaurants months in advance and fast passes weeks out, but it seems to me that in order to have a good Disney trip anymore this is all necessary (at least during peak season).

My husband is the same way, he thinks I'm crazy with all I do for our trip but once we get there and he sees how all my hard work pays off he is always grateful its me who plans an not him lol

No, not at all.
Just extremely curious. I kept reading people say it, and didn't really believe it until I read a first hand account.
I just didn't/don't understand bc Disney sends so many emails/regular mail/etc.

If you're not staying on site then it makes a little more sense. And makes sense several years ago, but now there is so much info by just doing one Google search.
Disney needs to tell you straight up that you need to book dinner ADR's six months in advance, not just that the booking window is open. They probably don't tell you that because they realize how absurd it is.

MG

Disney needs to tell you straight up that you need to book dinner ADR's six months in advance, not just that the booking window is open. They probably don't tell you that because they realize how absurd it is.

MG
The hammer has hit the nail! Disney tells you that you can get a FP in advance. But many of their promotional materials showed people getting ones for the Tea Cups. Did anyone here ever receive any information from Disney telling you that if you didn't try for Anna and Elsa at midnight 60 days out that there would be no soup for you? Now, you could rationalize that this wasn't Disney's responsibility. But let's be intellectually honest here. They didn't tell anyone that because it would reflect poorly on them and might chase prospective guests away.

MG
From the website, BOG:

"Reserve Your Table Now
Reservations are strongly recommended for all meals—especially dinner—and can be made up to 180 days in advance. Please make your dining reservations as early as possible!"​

This is pretty clear. And again... one doesn't need to research much to know this is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED if you have real preferences about where to eat.

MG
The hammer has hit the nail! Disney tells you that you can get a FP in advance. But many of their promotional materials showed people getting ones for the Tea Cups. Did anyone here ever receive any information from Disney telling you that if you didn't try for Anna and Elsa at midnight 60 days out that there would be no soup for you? Now, you could rationalize that this wasn't Disney's responsibility. But let's be intellectually honest here. They didn't tell anyone that because it would reflect poorly on them and might chase prospective guests away.
Because you don't actually need to. I've read, on these boards, about people creating 2 MDE accounts, or even only with one - booking multiple meals that they have no intention of keeping. And then close to trips, or day before, they cancel, and reservations open up.

If Disney said you MUST make your reservations 180 days in advance or else you won't get them, then people would not plan 60,30 or less days out.

It does not take 180 or 365 days to plan a Disney vacation, and I don't think most people, myself included, want or need to book that far out.

I think most any trip/vacation requires research. I just got back from a long road trip that could have been much more enjoyable had we researched more (I kinda invited myself last minute and knew what I was in for when I asked what we were doing and the answer was I don't know we will see as we go along). But I'm the kind of person who will research something new to do for our semi annual trips to the baseball game!!! Why people refuse to research in this day and age of the internet being right in your cell phone amazes me. When you leave your home town things are gonna be different.

I once worked at Starbucks and had a lady rattle of a VERY complex drink order. I asked her to repeat it and she yelled at me that her starbucks store doesn't need her to repeat it. Just because something works smoothly at home doesn't mean it will on vacation.

Because you don't actually need to. I've read, on these boards, about people creating 2 MDE accounts, or even only with one - booking multiple meals that they have no intention of keeping. And then close to trips, or day before, they cancel, and reservations open up.

If Disney said you MUST make your reservations 180 days in advance or else you won't get them, then people would not plan 60,30 or less days out.

It does not take 180 or 365 days to plan a Disney vacation, and I don't think most people, myself included, want or need to book that far out.
So, can I book a BOG ressie for tomorrow? Next week? Next month? How about 'Ohana?

No, I'm not going to check 20 times a day. That is a bit odd as well.

MG

From the website, BOG:

"Reserve Your Table Now
Reservations are strongly recommended for all meals—especially dinner—and can be made up to 180 days in advance. Please make your dining reservations as early as possible!"​

This is pretty clear. And again... one doesn't need to research much to know this is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED if you have real preferences about where to eat.
Is the emphasis yours?

Because quite honestly that sounds like a common marketing gimmick. It needs to say "book at 180 days at the minute the reservation window opens or you will likely not get a reservation."

To say "book ASAP" doesn't cut it IMO.

MG

Is the emphasis yours?

Because quite honestly that sounds like a common marketing gimmick. It needs to say "book at 180 days at the minute the reservation window opens or you will likely not get a reservation."

MG
You're not serious...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter