Why don't people like the Pepper Market?

JJsmama

WDW addict
I have been reading through threads comparing the Mods. A very common theme about CSR is "I don't like PM" or "the food court is better at POFQ/ POR."

Why is this? Can anyone give some specifics? TIA

One reason for it is that the Pepper Market is operated by a third party, not by Disney. So it is "different." The food is different, the mode of operation is different.

I love the Pepper Market. To me the food is a step above the typical food courts.

is the food nasty?:faint:

In the eye of the beholder. It's not the same food a Disney food court would serve. Different operator, some different suppliers. Some will say it's better, some would say it's worse, some just won't like that it's different.

The poor Pepper Market has gone through so many changes as it was never operated like a regular food court. You were seated, you went to stations to order your food and they stamped a card, they added a "server" brought you drinks, you paid as you left. The issue for many was the expectation to pay the "servers" who did very little a tip and they charged a 10% surcharge at check out (you could get waived if you took your food outside to eat). It was very much geared for the convention folks who expected better than food court food and had expense accounts. At one point they even tried a buffet for some meals. Food has always been served on real plates with real silverware. There used to be almost double the food stations as there are now, but then the resort has also added several other food locations too. Way more places to grab food at CSR than any other moderate.

NOW it operates like all other food courts. The registers are moved by the food and you pay before you sit. It has always been one of the best values for a QSDP credit although now the menu has shrunk down to be more in line with the other moderates. The portions have always been bigger and a better quality than others as far as we are concerned. I like that there is a food court not putting out the same exact food and taste as all the others.

It was one of my favorites a few year ago, but they "downgraded" it in my perspective, so that may be part of why so many negative perceptions

We love the PM very much. It is different, but we like that!

I guess dining is very subjective. Some will like it, some won't.

We have not been there since they changed the layout, so it does sound better now. Our issue was when we (DW, 2 DDs and myself) would order from different stations and while the rest of the family sat down I would be standing, looking and listening for when the food was ready. So if a DD just had Mac-n-cheese they would give it to us right away and she would be eating while the rest of us waited for our orders to be ready. We learned to stagger our orders, so that they were ready closer together, but that meant going back and forth as well. We were also not a fan of the surcharge and then waiting for your hostess to refill your drinks, because you could not do it yourself.

I love CS, love the decor and "feel" of the Pepper Market, but I wasn't too impressed with the food. I only got a taco and the breakfast sandwich... not bad, but not great. Portions are huge!

But I wouldn't hesitate to try it again, since I've heard so many good things.

Limited choices compared to what it was. Food is made to order. That can be a good thing, but you stand there and wait for it. Which can take a while. In the past, prices of entrees were higher than other food courts.

IMO - we go there often. I find it so pretty. I try really hard to like it. The food is just never decent. NEVER. Kids like it, so ...

PM's food was ok. I thought they had a better selection than AoA or Pop. Made to order omelets did take awhile in the morning but they were pretty good. And then I had quesadillas one night which were ok. Pizza was always just ok as well. It's not the worst place to eat, it's just nothing to write home about.

I just didn't like the way the food at Pepper Market tasted.

my daughters and I were there in November as repeat customers, I can tell you from the girls point of view that Disney has no other offering of Nachos than they do. Built to order and definitely willing to go spicey. We went to get our kitchen sink beforehand and then straight over here for the nachos as requested by my youngest daughter.
I had the hamburger and it was, a hamburger with jalepenos, so for me not such a deal. But for my girls? they took home to the room the leftovers.

Thanks for all the answers so far. Interesting.. In all my years on DIS, I never knew PM Was run by an independent contractor.
Is there any QS at CSR that is disney run and offers things lime a Mickey waffles and cupcakes?

Thanks for all the answers so far. Interesting.. In all my years on DIS, I never knew PM Was run by an independent contractor.
Is there any QS at CSR that is disney run and offers things lime a Mickey waffles and cupcakes?

Pepper Market does offer Mickey Waffles as both an adult and child breakfast option.

The mode of operation is now the same as other food courts. There was a period of time where they had a weird set up with stamp cards and servers, but that's no longer the case. Now it's the same as any other food court.

We've been to Pepper Market since that change and didn't like the food, as many others have mentioned. It's unique in that all food is made to order but because of that, we found quality/taste of food greatly varied depending on who was cooking it. In addition, it REALLY slowed down the lines. We did think the portions were larger than other food courts. We also found that at the time, they opened at 7am rather than 6am like other resort food courts so that was inconvenient for making an 8am EMH. We got there at 7am a few times and had a bit of a wait because not all of the food was ready and out. Lastly, we ordered a pizza from there expecting the same thick/doughy style you can get all over WDW. It ended up being a very thin crust flat-bread style and frankly it was gross.

We like POR better because we think the dessert/sweet options are better (and theres more) and we love the create your own pasta station. We also found it moved faster.

I agree, dessert options are limited at PM. Coke fountain drinks are somewhat limited, too. I believe there is no Powerade or Cherry Coke. I also agree, the nachos were a good value. My family split those a few times.

The mode of operation is now the same as other food courts. There was a period of time where they had a weird set up with stamp cards and servers, but that's no longer the case.

This was what was off putting to us...plus we were going to carry our food and drinks, but a gratuity was expected.

Ended up only getting our WDW resort cups at the bar in Pepper Market. Bartender pushed his tip jar forward for my soda...maybe, buddy, if you didn't act so put off by my Sprite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter