• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why don't Disney resorts have pay-per-view movies?

magicalmickey

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We were at WDW early Dec. and stayed at Beach Club. We normally stay at the Dolphin.

I couldn't for the life of me, figure out why the Disney resorts don't provide the pay-per-view movies on the tvs in the rooms. From a profit standpoint, it doesn't make sense to me.

My husband likes to watch movies in the morning while I'm getting ready or at night after we're in for the night. We could always do that at the Dolphin, so I know it must be a thing about the Disney owned resorts. Does anybody know why?

Disney doesn't want you staying in your room watching TV. They want you out and about spending Disney Dollars. :goodvibes

:) Bill

Disney doesn't want you staying in your room watching TV. They want you out and about spending Disney Dollars.

This would be my guess as well. One could argue that pay-per-view movies would be an incremental revenue source for Disney (e.g., additional revenue over and above what people already spend there, especially in situations like that described by the OP). I would imagine, however, that pay-per-view movies would get relatively little activity at a Disney resort compared to a normal hotel and that the economic cost to Disney for that benefit outweighs the additional revenue that it might generate.

There is probably little to no overhead to offering pay per view and it's not all that common to have someone in the party sick and feeling under the weather and forced to stay in the room for unexpected periods of time..

Movies would be great

I agree that PPV movies would be a wonderful idea. We like to wind down at night watching TV in bed. I think it would only enhance a vacation, not detract from it. I also see as how it would be nice for those who are stuck in a room sick. Maybe Disney should strongly consider this.

There is probably little to no overhead to offering pay per view and it's not all that common to have someone in the party sick and feeling under the weather and forced to stay in the room for unexpected periods of time..

I think you underestimate the amount of cost necessary to initially set up and subsequently maintain such a service. The folks at Disney are experts at extracting every last dollar from visitors. If this was really as cost effective and potentially profitable as you suggest, I am sure that Disney would be offering this service.

The Disney folks want you totally immersed in all things Disney. Having pay-per-view movies would allow a slice of outside life to creep in, which goes against what they believe in. They want you surrounded by and feeling that Disney magic and having Bruno or Paranormal Activity playing in your resort takes a very large part of that away.

That being said it would not surpise me to see them offer up Disney only movies for purchase, such as Up, Monster's Inc, Pirates of the Carribbean etc.

Also, I'm not sure what the selection is since I have never used the service, but I do know that you can rent DVD's at the Beach Club Marketplace. Not sure if they are Disney only movies or not.

Jay

Also, Disney uses its resort TV system as free advertising for its own cable channels (ESPN, ABC, DIS, SoapNet, etc), and other offerings (DCL, DVC, etc.) They want your eyeballs on their content, not some other studio's. You've no doubt noticed that there are very, very few channels that aren't Disney-owned. All I can think of are CNN, the Weather Channel, and the other major TV networks (CBS, NBC, Fox, CW).

I really wish they had a channel that worked like a PPV, or like an on demand where you could rent Disney movies. I have never seen UP and really wanted to watch it while we were there. Also I needed a refresher on a few classics, and can always use a Monsters Inc break!

Even if they had a DVD player in the room, and a redbox type service with only Disney movies in the lobby. I agree with PP about not wanting to let the outside world in, that's why Disney movies only would be best.

PPV would require a big investment in set top boxes/remote controls and a new head end cable system to do PPV... and possibly cable line upgrades to fiber (from TV central to the resorts) to provide the extra channels needed.

GIven what people have already said, I agree that revenue would be "slow" comparatively making a long return on investment. Disney would need to partner with someone that does this and they'd want a decent return on that investment too... probably a weak business case.

They want you in the parks spending your money. Then on the other hand if you were watching PPV movies, you just might be producing future bundles of revenue for Disney.;)

They want you in the parks spending your money. Then on the other hand if you were watching PPV movies, you just might be producing future bundles of revenue for Disney.;)

LOL I don't think they meant those sorts of movies. :lmao::lmao:

1) The same reason they don't have all the cable channels.
2) They cannot control what you watch.
3) WDW is a "family" world, and they don't want "non-family" viewing.
4) It simply would not "be Disney".

NOTE: The cable company is adding more channels soon. The big discussions now are exactly what channels they will allow. All the channels need to be "family" oriented, with few "R" type programming. That is why no HBO, Showtime, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter