• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why Does Universal NOT Sell A No Expire Option??

OLT2004

DIS Veteran
So, I had a 7 Day ticket, bought way back in 2007.

We enjoyed 3 Days @ both Universal parks.

I asked @ Guest Services If I could make our remaining days "No Expire".
I was willing to pay a Reasonable Amount.

The customer service Rep looked @ me like I had just beamed in from the Simpson Ride...and said "We do not offer that option".

I asked to speak to a Manger.
She said it would not matter...Universal does not offer No Expire.

I insisted that I speak to a Manager.
She got one.
The manager also stated that they do not offer a no expire option.

I stated that a No Expire option could be good for them.

He did not seem interested....

possibly the same reason Disney is not selling them any longer. They want you to buy more tickets.

kokomos said:
possibly the same reason Disney is not selling them any longer. They want you to buy more tickets.

Where are you looking Disney world till has no expiration option

Im not looking but they no longer offer no expiring online or at the gates. UT will be selling them until they run out of stock they are doing away with it.

Here's a better question....why should Universal sell a no expire ticket?

When you bought that 7 day ticket, it was probably $99. Universal tickets are very cheap compared to Disney. It isn't economically feasible to make things non expiring.

Costco often has a non-expiring ticket. The last one was good until 2015. The newest one that is $134 for 3 days is only good until the end of 2013.

So, I had a 7 Day ticket, bought way back in 2007.

I asked to speak to a Manger.
She said it would not matter...Universal does not offer No Expire.

I insisted that I speak to a Manager.
She got one.
The manager also stated that they do not offer a no expire option.

I stated that a No Expire option could be good for them.

He did not seem interested....

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised at the attitude of entitlement here. You purchased tickets that were good for a certain time period, and then you believed that Universal should cater to the fact that you did not want to abide by the terms of the tickets?? (Perhaps my experience working in customer service also just made me bristle as I read your post... You "insisted" that she get a manager, because you were so certain that you knew better than she did...)

Anyway, Uni offers a wide variety of ticket options to fit a plethora of needs/wants. Everyone needs to make sure that they understand the terms/conditions of their tickets before they purchase them.

I dislike the attitude too. I see this all the time where I work. People refuse to accept rules and give those who tell them the rules a hard time. I hope that you didn't actually give anyone a hard time about this but it reads like you did.

Why doesn't Universal offer a no-expire? Besides the reasons listed here, The pricing structure and the tickets offered don't really make it worthwhile for you either.

First off.... Universal no longer offers a standard ticket longer than 4 days. 4 days is plenty of time to see everything in both parks, even during busier times of year. Before HP opened, They were practically giving away admission to get people into the parks (7 days for $99... which is only a few dollars more than the current 1 day 1 park ticket). After HP, they no longer need the super attractive ticket pricing to bring people into the parks because the HP Hype... and the other investments Universal is now pouring into the park is enough to bring the people in. Even at Disney, You can't upgrade your ticket to a ticket option that doesn't exist. (No upgrading to an 11 day ticket..... or to a ticket option that no longer exists like the 4 day Worldpass)

Secondly... Price bridging. Disney does/did price bridging. Buy your ticket for $100 2 years ago, but that same ticket is now offered for $150.... get $150 towards the upgraded ticket. Universal does not really price bridge for anything. Disney also doesn't price bridge old ticket media. If you bought a ticket that is no longer offered, you'll only get credit for the purchase price of that ticket. In this case, Universal no longer offers an unlimited 7 day ticket, So even if they DID offer a no expire option, Your credit for the existing ticket would only be.....$99.....$4 more than a 1 day, 1 park ticket.

And Finally.... Look at Universal's current ticket offerings and price structure. If you look at the way the price increases between 1, 2, 3, and 4 day tickets, At day 5 it becomes cheaper to go for the AP. Disney's AP costs MUCH more than their longest ticket option, so the No Expire worked as a decent bridge option for people who may want to visit multiple times during the year, but maybe not enough to justify the cost of the AP. If you looked at Disney's No Expire pricing options, the cost of the option made it cost effective for the shorter duration that would be attractive for local or semi local guests, but by the time you got to the 10-day no-expire, the surcharge made it more expensive than just getting 2 regular sets of tickets for each trip. (using 2012 pricing, 10 day no-expire was $593. 2 sets of 5 day base tickets cost $536.)

Since Universal's AP is MUCH less expensive, and much more reasonably priced compared to the standard ticket options (not to mention, comes with a LOT better perks than Disney's AP's), the need for a no-expire option at Universal just doesn't really exist. Their current admission offerings are enough to satisfy most people's needs/desires, so there isn't really a need to add a no-expire option to their ticketing options. (Not worth the cost or hassle of creating and maintaining the ticket option).

[This also didn't factor in the 14 Day Flex tickets which give you unlimited admission to the Universal Parks, sea World, etc which gives another cost effictive option for people who may be visiting the area and planning on multiple days spread across various non-Disney attractions in the area]

Universal once DID have nonexpiring tickets. In 1999, my husband and I spent the Y2K New Year's Eve there, and the parks were empty, dead, abandoned. We rode everything many times (Spider-Man 10!) and left with an unused day. In 2009, we were on a Bahamas cruise that docked a day in Florida, so we rented a car, and drove to Universal. At the gates, the gate workers were dismayed we were using nearly 10 year old tickets, but they called over a manager, and they said they were still good! But it was a SUPER BUSY day and we didn't really ride much except with our little ones in the Suess area.

Why should Universal sell No Expire Tickets?

Brand Loyalty -
Guests would "follow" the new things @ Universal and make it a point to
visit again.
This would generate...
Parking fee's, Food $$$, Citywalk $$$, perhaps a On Site Hotel Stay.
Which would...
Deny Disney a "Lock" on the Orlando visitor for the entire vacation.
Why do you think Disney has the Magical Express?
Advertising/Marketing...
Universal can take "The High Ground" as a more consumer/family/budget
vacation destination...
Can't you hear Morgan Freeman Or Sean Connery...Visit the world of Harry
Potter...Etc...This year and next for the price of one trip to that other park.

Oh well, My Personal Bottom Line...
We will be visiting Orlando again in about 2 years.
Universal will probably NOT be included in that next Orlando vacation.
If I could have purchased a No Expire option it would have been.
But, we have a Disney water park day and a Disney Theme Park day left.
I will plan my vacation around those two tickets and purchase more Disney days as needed, plus a Seaworld day.

Why should Universal sell No Expire Tickets?

Brand Loyalty -
Guests would "follow" the new things @ Universal and make it a point to
visit again.
This would generate...
Parking fee's, Food $$$, Citywalk $$$, perhaps a On Site Hotel Stay.
Which would...
Deny Disney a "Lock" on the Orlando visitor for the entire vacation.
Why do you think Disney has the Magical Express?
Advertising/Marketing...
Universal can take "The High Ground" as a more consumer/family/budget
vacation destination...
Can't you hear Morgan Freeman Or Sean Connery...Visit the world of Harry
Potter...Etc...This year and next for the price of one trip to that other park.

Oh well, My Personal Bottom Line...
We will be visiting Orlando again in about 2 years.
Universal will probably NOT be included in that next Orlando vacation.
If I could have purchased a No Expire option it would have been.
But, we have a Disney water park day and a Disney Theme Park day left.
I will plan my vacation around those two tickets and purchase more Disney days as needed, plus a Seaworld day.

A 7 day non-expiry park hopper at WDW is $549. You paid $99 for your 7 day ticket. How much would you have been willing to pay for the non-expiry option?

Disneyland doesn't offer non-expiry tickets either.

Damo - Disneyland is in CA - I am only talking abou Disney World in FL...

I know DL is a different park but it is very similar to USF. That's why I included it .

I was pre-empting your reply that would say, "But WDW has 4 parks and Universal only has two so you can't compare them."

I'm still interested in knowing how much you would have been willing to pay for the 7 day non-expiring ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter