Why does my dog keep barking like a son of a gun?

NY Disney fan

DIS Veteran
I just got a dog 2 weeks ago. He will be 1 on Oct. 10th. I have never owned a dog before. He is a pure bred Maltese cutie. He barks constantly and thinks he's a pit bull. He barks starting at 5:30am and all day long. What am I doing wrong? I let him out first thing in the morning (in the yard) and he has ample room to roam around the house. He eats at 8am and I leave a snack and water out for him 24/7 for whenever he wants. Help!

He may be bored. Many dogs act out and even bark when they are bored and want to play or be walked. He might have a lot of pent up energy and barking is his way of getting some of that energy out.

I guessed the right breed before opening the thread and seeing that, it was a maltese. We have a 6yr old female maltese. She barks at every little noise that she hears and at every little movement that we make. And don't even let someone come to the front door, she will literally make the UPS driver run back to his truck everytime he comes. She is a very sweet and protective dog but sometimes with all the barking she can really get on your last nerve...

If you find out how to stop it I would love to know!! My dog is 7 years old and has barked all day long for seven freaking years!!! Someone walks down the street he barks, a car door closes he barks, one of us stands up he barks, we eat he barks, we talk from one room to the other he barks...we have had 3 trainers, a shock collar, water bottle to spray in face and numerous other things and he still barks all darn day long. We never ever leave him outside- he goes out to go to the bathroom and we bring him right back in so he doesn't bark out there and bother the neighbors!

If you find out how to stop it I would love to know!! My dog is 7 years old and has barked all day long for seven freaking years!!! Someone walks down the street he barks, a car door closes he barks, one of us stands up he barks, we eat he barks, we talk from one room to the other he barks...we have had 3 trainers, a shock collar, water bottle to spray in face and numerous other things and he still barks all darn day long. We never ever leave him outside- he goes out to go to the bathroom and we bring him right back in so he doesn't bark out there and bother the neighbors!
:thumbsup2
We have two Shelities. Love the breed, but sometimes (like now) OMG! The younger one, especially, is so noisy. Right now he is going crazy because the kids are in the yard. He wants to be out there but can't because he won't shut up! No advice to add. Just wanted to share the pain and tell you, literally, I HEAR you!:rotfl2:

:thumbsup2
We have two Shelities. Love the breed, but sometimes (like now) OMG! The younger one, especially, is so noisy. Right now he is going crazy because the kids are in the yard. He wants to be out there but can't because he won't shut up! No advice to add. Just wanted to share the pain and tell you, literally, I HEAR you!:rotfl2:

My future in-laws had 3 shelties for awhile.. oh my gosh. One would start barking (usually at nothing) and it would cause the other two to go nuts, and then the first one would just keep barking because the other two were barking. It's a never-ending cycle. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter