Why does dinner take so long?

Another point to consider is the cruise dinner experience is akin to going to a fancy 4 or 5 star restaurant on land. My first cruise I thought the portions were rather small but by serving it a course at a time. Your head can catch up with your belly and realize it is full! You figure four courses (even though DCL seems to stuff the appetizer/soup/salad course together) that the serve is responsible for 4-6 tables each, that’s 12-18 trips to the galley and on top of that interact with the customers I’m surprised it doesn’t take longer! In the end enjoy the time kick back, if not order the appetizer and get the rest to go and dash!

On my last cruise, we took the galley tour. The chefs explained the inner workings of the galleys. It gave me a better understanding on the time it takes to serve so many people..YEs even though the majority of the meals are prepared ahead of time, some of the special order requests take some time. Those request cause the servers to wait as they usually bring the whole tables meal at one time. So another crusier at another table with allergies or other such requests may cause you to wait alittle longs. The whole meal ususaly takes about an hours, but then, why the rush? You are on vacation and why would you want to leave so fast from the table? Most of us dont get that service any other time of the year.

Also keep in mind your server serves more than just your table, and evryone from your dinner time usually arrives at the same time ie; 6:00 or 8:30. Not like a regular restaurant where the diners are seated in a servers area at different times.

needalatte said:
You'd be surprised. We ended up ordering two and three appetizers, entrees, and/or desserts at every dinner. Most of the extra dishes were shared around the table, but since the menu changes every night it's really the only way to try the many delicious offerings. Even the kids ordered multiple entrees. It was a lot of fun! (And a lot of food.)

Oh--and we didn't gain more than 3-4 pounds each just by staying active and taking the stairs everywhere.

Yes, you can order multiples of anything (even seconds of something). And needalatte meant that on a 7 night cruise we each only gained about 3-4 lbs over the entire cruise! :rotfl: Whoever wanted multiples ordered it... we never noticed a disruption of the flow. Kids meals were delivered as the kids completed each of their courses, and they did not have to wait until the adults were ready for the next course.

Vanvmom said:
Yes, you can order multiples of anything (even seconds of something). And needalatte meant that on a 7 night cruise we each only gained about 3-4 lbs over the entire cruise! :rotfl: Whoever wanted multiples ordered it... we never noticed a disruption of the flow. Kids meals were delivered as the kids completed each of their courses, and they did not have to wait until the adults were ready for the next course.

Was I not clear about the weight gain? Oops. At least someone knew what I was talking about. I still have those pounds hanging around, too. It's much easier to gain them than lose them, unfortunately. :guilty:

I have the main seating time for dinner... but how will DS (6) make it through? How many of you put the kids in the club while you dine? I'm a single Mom... would feel a little out of place, I think, dining alone? :confused3

Dinner is an experience that for us was very enjoyable. Always having 2nd seating, we could take our time and enjoy the food and and just relax after a busy day. More often than not we order multiple items so that we could see what each part of the meal was like. And then of course, finish the meal with an Espresso or some other beverage.

There is so much going on that it keeps the kids interested for the most part. You wont be sitting alone if your DS wants to go to the club early. Link up with some DISers on your cruise thread & you will already have a table of friends set up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter