• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

why does a Disney/DVC stay feel so good?

I think the OP's use of the word "splurge" is the key.

If your DVC stay results in better dining, entertainment and/or relaxation experiences than your everyday life, then its easy to see your time as an incredible experience.

Combine that with Disney's goal of appealing to all senses (especially sight sound and smell while you are experiencing WDW, and you have an experience that really stays in your memory.

It also helps that repeat stays allow you to discover the experiences you most enjoy. I just went to DL, and it wasn't until the end of the 4th day (of 5) that I syated to slow down and enjoy more of the sights and details. Normally I gets full week of that pace due to my knowledg of WDW.

I love all these responses and agree with them wholeheartedly. Count me in.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I do feel different when staying in a DVC villa versus a cash stay at regular Disney Resort. Maybe it's that "I am Home!" feeling. Whatever it is, it makes me thankful that both DH and I are glad to be DVC members.

There are SO many things I find valuable about our DVC stay...we've been back from our 10 day trip for less than a week, and here is one memory I really took back with me:

This was a crazy summer for our family. Our 20yr old girls were both working 2 jobs, and busy with friends/boyfriends while home from college. Our 16 yr old was also working 2 jobs: one was choreographing for a local theater group which really took her whole summer. She was there 6-7 days a week. Our son was in a couple of camps, though not nearly as busy as the girls.

It really hit me one day as we were in the midst of our morning Disney routine: my husband and I making egg sandwiches for everyone, and all four kids sitting around the table in our villa eating breakfast together. We were talking about our plans for the day, did we have water bottles, sunblock, etc. I actually got teary when I looked at all of us, just sitting in our villa kitchen like we can't seem to manage at home with all of the crazy schedules.

There is absolutely magic at Disney World, and in a DVC villa. :)

As I read each of the replies I can't help but agree - it is no one thing that makes it special, rather it is a thousand little things that combined create an atmosphere and feeling that I simply love!

I have people ask me all the time why we go so often. And we get the awkward "How do you afford to go so much?" I always say "It's why I work!". LOL, anyways I always try to explain that Disney is not just "something we do" it is more than simply a destination it is almost a "state of being". It's part of who I am. Not a day goes by that I don't think about Disney in some manner. Maybe that's cheesy but it sums me up. The feeling I have at Disney is one of inner peace and happiness.

I thought I was the only one who has Disney on the brain every day!! After our family's first trip 4 years ago, I swore I'd never go back. The kids were unpleasant and whiny the whole time. It wasn't until after we got back that we realized that we just tried to do too much and they didn't get their normal naps and didn't eat on schedule, so of course they were unpleasant to be with. A mere 2 months later, my wife says "you know, they are offering the dining plan again in January. Maybe we should try again. Going to Disney cannot be the worst vacation we have ever had." So, we went again and were hooked after that.

We toyed with the idea of staying offsite last year. Then we discovered the DVC resale market. After doing a little research, we decided it was definitely something we wanted to do. Within 4 months of our vacation, we were able to book nights at SSR, VWL and AKV. It was a lot of moving around, but so fun to try out different resorts. There is definitely something in the air at the DVC resorts.

DVC lets us stay at resorts we would never be able to afford otherwise (we have Bay Lake and VGF booked this October!) and allows us to not feel so rushed because we know we'll be back. And, it provides us the opportunity to treat my in-laws to a stay in a deluxe resort next June. All reasons we love DVC!

I DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN IT! Sorry for shouting, but I need to make sure home is kept up. We have a vacation home that needs our attention for maintenance. When I go to DVC, I don't have to do nuthin'! (And I agree with what PPs have said.) ;)

WDW is my laughin' place! Has been since I was a kid...heck my first trip was in utero in 1976!

I just love every post above....."state of being"; "inner peace and happiness"; "my happy place"; "smells like Disney". I love every one of those statements and they reflect the way those of us who "get it" feel about each and every trip we make to Disney. It truly is a way of life and "state of being". We will be making our 3rd trip for the year in October for the F & W Festival. We decided we are not going to make our usual January trip in 2015....because the last few years we've had trials and tribulations just getting there and back with weather conditions here in PA and then once we're there it's been very cold anyway. As we get closer to January I'm starting to regret our decision and wondering just how I will make it through early 2015 without my Disney trip!!

That initial "Welcome home" when I get there sets the tone because I do feel at home. Yeah, I know it's a hotel room or suite like many others, but I own it. It's mine. That makes me happy and peaceful. It makes me proud to have realized a dream. It thrills me to share my home with friends and family who otherwise would balk at the cost of a Disney vacation. I like that my investment can be their pixie dust.

Hi
I don't usually post too much, but this is just too dear to my heart ! We just love OKW. We call it our second home. We have been members for 21 years now, since before we had kids, and we have watched them grow up here year after year. I still get the same thrill arriving as I did on our first stay in 1993. As soon as I see that Welcome Home mat my shoulders release all their tension and I relax. We looked at buying a villa in Florida (we are from the UK) but we soon realised that an apt in Disney would work out so much better for us ... All the fun and none of the upkeep! The quality of the accommodation and the friendliness of everyone is just wonderful.

I am currently sitting on the balcony of our 2 bed villa watching the golfers and warming myself in the sun. Everywhere I look I see memories. My daughter is 18 now and when we get back to London we will be taking her to university 3 hours from home for the first time .. Oh no don't get me started .. sob .. I swear I just saw her as a 2 year old dressed in her tinkerbell outfit twirling in front of the tv in the front room. My moody son now 15 learnt to swim in the old turtle pond pool he spent so much time in the water that he would go home brown on his back and completely white on his front !!! When they come home to Disney I get my babies back for a little while (I tell ya, I wish they had slept as long as they do now when they were babies!). I love every white picket fence, every balustrade, every pink, green and blue building in this wonderful place.

DVC was one of the best decisions we ever made !

I have thought a lot about what makes DVC so special for us. From the moment I hear welcome home, I start to relax. Part of it is being around pleasant people (for the most part), in a clean environment, where everything is well kept up. Part of it is not having to rush, and being able to take the time to enjoy the beauty of the resorts. Most of it is memories...seeing my kids learn to surf at Aulani (hilarious), grilling out at the SSR Treehouses, watching the NYE fireworks from the dock at VGF, taking my DSis on a cruise, taking my DNeph to BLT because he loves the MK (he is 32 yo). I could go on and on. As I move into retirement I am looking forward to spending a few weeks in Jan/Feb in our DVC, and enjoying the sun, and exercising outside. And yes, I DON'T HAVE TO CLEAN IT!

There are SO many things I find valuable about our DVC stay...we've been back from our 10 day trip for less than a week, and here is one memory I really took back with me:

This was a crazy summer for our family. Our 20yr old girls were both working 2 jobs, and busy with friends/boyfriends while home from college. Our 16 yr old was also working 2 jobs: one was choreographing for a local theater group which really took her whole summer. She was there 6-7 days a week. Our son was in a couple of camps, though not nearly as busy as the girls.

It really hit me one day as we were in the midst of our morning Disney routine: my husband and I making egg sandwiches for everyone, and all four kids sitting around the table in our villa eating breakfast together. We were talking about our plans for the day, did we have water bottles, sunblock, etc. I actually got teary when I looked at all of us, just sitting in our villa kitchen like we can't seem to manage at home with all of the crazy schedules.

There is absolutely magic at Disney World, and in a DVC villa. :)

Perfect!

11 years as members and we still get excited when we pick our vacation week, decide which resort, make the reservation, and start the planning. It is a combination of Disney quality, our mindset-we love Disney, and experiences. The villas / resorts help us relax and enjoy. Each resort is beautifully themed and executed. We have always had positive experiences with staff, and have witnessed staff going above and beyond. There is magic at Disney.

11 years as members and we still get excited when we pick our vacation week, make the reservation, and start the planning. It is a combination of Disney quality, our mindset-we love Disney, and experiences.

We have been DVC members since 2010, but have gone to Disney since 1974. Our one regret is that we didn't discover DVC sooner. We love being able to have all of our family go with us- a gathering - as CMs call it. We love the space that allows us to hang out together. I love having everyone together- to see my grown children reconnecting, my grandchildren laughing, great grand parents absorbing all of this activity, EVERYONE making memories and the simple pleasure that DH and I have been able to make this happen because of our DVC points.

To state it as simply as possible- family, fun, memories!!

Wow -
What awesome responses from everyone on this post. I too, can only second the many true heartfelt and passionate replies as to why we love DVC so much.

For me and my DW, it really did start with WL. There is something about walking into that lobby......It's hard to put my finger on just "one" aspect of it.

There is the (for us) breathtaking beauty of that lobby, especially around the holidays, that tree, the decorations. What about the music of WL and VWL, how it really blends in which the atmosphere of the "lodge".
As many have mentioned, the CM's. For us, it was Ranger Stan who had passd away a few years ago but I loved partaking in Flag Family with Stan leading the way. His stories, his smile and genuine love for the lodge and us guests.We miss him.
I guess we felt that we didn't need to "worry about" all of our daily issues of life once we stepped in that lobby. We didn't need to worry about work, that call, that customer, that daily commute and the list for each and every one of us goes on.
For the past 4 years, we have been DVC members with our home resort at VWL. What an awesome opportunity for us to use this with our family AND friends. You are right, no bills, no worries and this December, for 10 days, we have our first family reunion with kids and grandkids enjoying the villa's at VWL. No worries, just memories to look forward to.
A time to "re-connect" and grow closer again as the lives of our adult children have gone their separate ways. In my opinion, nothing can really replace the experiences, memories, laughter and peace that comes with vacationing at the happiest place on earth and being able to share that with your family, especially, for us, over early December, at WDW, staying at VWL with WL right next to us. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone so we plan on making this "first" reunion a memorable one. One that we could not have done without taking that "step" and becoming a DVC member. Smiles and tears of joy await us. I can't wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter