Why do you love it?--A Thread for Positivity

hidmickey:myantidrug

DIS Veteran
I feel like we need a feel-good thread around these parts.

From 'corporate takeovers' to stroller/ECV annoyances to ride breakdowns and rude guests, there's been a whole lot of negativity floating around the boards. I, for one, am starting to get a little depressed and down on...well, the human race. It seems we've lost the spirit of all the good things that we originally came here to talk about, however long ago that may have been.

So in the name of positivity and the one thing that we all have in common--a love for disney--why don't we come together and share why we love WDW (or anything else Disney) as much as we do?

What is it that keeps you going back or wanting to go back?
Does a specific memory stand out? Or is it something broader? More general?
Is there something you think Disney does really well that you don't think needs to be changed anytime soon?
Perhaps a guest did something to make your trip better?

Share as much or as little as you want; I'm not going to limit this to a "one greatest reason" kind if deal. Anything you have that brings you that warm Disney feeling is exactly what I'm looking for for this little bit of mini-Dis therapy! :goodvibes:

I've lost count of how many trips we've made to the world. Maybe 50? We are far from the wide-eyed newbies we were years ago, and there certainly has been plenty that has happened in the interim that's been negative and could have been a total turnoff. But there's something about WDW. A charm, a "magic". Do they provide it? Do we provide it? Is it a mixture of both? I don't know. I've found the experience changes as we go through our life stages. Starting as a young couple, then parents of infants/toddlers, now parents of teens. We stayed away from the world for a few years because everyone else in the family was "been there, done that". But we had a great trip our last time there. The kids are older. We do the parks differently. It was such a good experience at a busy time that we are going the week of Xmas. Why? Because it's a great place to go and enjoy time together as a family. And when we think of the negative experiences (husband uses an ECV ;-) ), we also think of all the great CMs and other guests we have met throughout the years who were or did something totally unexpected, heartwarming and special.

I no longer expect WDW to make my trip special. I expect them to keep the parks clean, their CMs friendly, their rides working, and their crowds civil and controlled. We'll do the rest to make our stay special. And if we meet really special CMs or guests, then it's icing on the cake!

Is there something you think Disney does really well that you don't think needs to be changed anytime soon?

on arrival,just walking out of the airport and into the heat is super!

we simply love it all-it is truly wonderful-literally like nothing else on earth.

the first steps on main st and sight of the castle make me cry every time :rotfl:

the main things i notice are how clean everything is, the air, the glorious smells, the attention to detail,the rides, the shows.

we have found 99.9% of the cast members we have encountered have been wonderful, i definitely can not say that for the customer service we have generally in the u.k.

I also love the fact that when we return "home", its so easy to slot straight back into the wdw life-we always feel like we're right back where we ought to be.

just a little thing, but one day a stranger opened the car door for me in the parking lot, i thought that was lovely :)

there is so much to do and see, and yet it's so relaxing-we are not on a fixed agenda, we have a plan, but it's flexible and chilled.:goodvibes

Thank you OP for this thread!!!!

I keep going back b/c of the way I feel when I'm at WDW, the magic, the imagination, the customer service! The food, the ambiance I'm never happier then when I have a Wdw trip planned!

My favorite memory (been over 20 times) is from 2010 when DH came without the kids and stayed Poly CL, it was the most amazing and romantic trip'. We took a break from the parks every day to lay out by the pool or in a hammock on the beach and eve fell asleep in it together one day! Took one day off from the parks, ordered room service, rented a sea raycer, eloped the GF and WL and had dinner at Naroccosee! My favorite memory of that trip is grabbing coffee and running outgo sunset point together to watch the sunrise above the castle.. So romantic!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

First, I agree with you on the need for positivity! :thumbsup2

DH and I are heading to WDW for the 9th time in April, and it will be our girls 4th trip!!! :cool1:

Yes, it is expensive, and yes, things do not always go perfectly. But, we always have memories to last a lifetime.

DH and I both work full time jobs (DH has a very stressful job) and the girls have a million extra curricular activities. Our normal days are blurs of getting to work, school and activities until we finally fall into bed exhausted every night.

When we are in Disney, we get to focus 100% on being a family. :goodvibes. The cooking is done for us, the driving is done for us (we actually LOVE the buses...even with strollers and ECV's :p. it's all part of the experience)

It's not only the Disney bubble we enter, it's our family bubble and Disney just happens to provide the perfect backdrop for that. :goodvibes

My favorite memories of the most special moments to me...

At some time during Wishes, I stop looking to the sky, and turn to watch the faces of those I love. We have 5 children, 20 years apart in age, and as I watch them, I am aware of the closeness we share. Perhaps an older child is holding a younger one, or another has knelt beside a child in the stroller or DH is holding a child in his arms, pudgy little arm holding tightly to Daddy's neck, faces pressed cheek to cheek. Their heads tilted upward , eyes wide open with lashes, (my kids have lashes so long they could trip over them, lol) reaching towards the sky. As I watch their faces all aglow, the reflection of the fireworks twinkle in their eyes. Some times one of them notices that I am watching them, and they smile at me. Their expressions, the wonder and awe... it's magical.

I like the fact that I have a place I can go to and totally forget the real world exists for a while. WDW is the place the kept me sane while taking care of my mom until her cancer fight ended. It's the place the comforted me after my dad passed away. It's the place that cheers me up when I have a bad day at work. It's the place that magnifies any celebration - be it a birthday or a holiday. It can transport me to other parts of the country (even the world) without the hassle of the airport. I like that it's a totally immersive experience, and you can just relax and let it unfold around you. I like to explore the lesser known spots, or sit for a while and imagine I'm actually in Asia or Europe or Yellowstone or the south Pacific. I keep coming back because it feels like home and if I could afford to, I would live there. I have to be content with being able to see it from my house.

We love to go because it is in escape from reality. When you go to WDW, it is a whole different universe. Most everyone is happy to be there and the usual problems of the world don't exist. You don't see homelessness, poverty, violence, hatred, "the fiscal cliff", etc. Even if it removes you for a short while a visit to the world makes you smile and forget about those things.

And...as a previous poster said...you concentrate on the people you are with and the surroundings. I don't turn on a TV while in the world, and I do my best not to check email more than once a day.

I love it because it just makes me happy. There is nothing like being on WDW property. It is like stepping into a different world. I can forget about all my troubles and just have fun with my kids. I have energy that I don't have anywhere else. I get to see my girls smile and giggle and be happy and I get to spend tons of time with them. There is nothing else like it.

It's simply the place where I've had the most fun ever, sure not everything is perfect all of the time but it's still the most fun place for me. From blasting through the mountain on EE and space mountain to enjoying the slowness of SSE and HM and of course enjoying the food, it seems like there really is something for everyone to enjoy.

We love the atmosphere at Disney.

The parks are just beautiful.

The sounds are wonderful.

The Smells incredible.

We are a very busy family. I like that we get to slow down at Disney and enjoy ourselves. We can be lazy and take our time. We have so many wonderful memories to cherish.

We became DVC members because we love Disney so much and wanted to return often. One of the best decisions we have ever made.

We love MK - everything about it. Castle, Main Street, all the lands the rides. Just sitting on a bench taking in the atmosphere. Beautiful place to be.

Epcot - the view of World Showcase is just outstanding to me. Whenever, I am stressed I imagine myself sitting somewhere in World Showcase at Epcot. It is such a relaxing thought for me.

AK - So many wonderful memories from our trip in December 2011, it was the first time we have really enjoyed AK. I have a new love for AK now.

DHS - Love how different it is from the other parks. It is like another world compared to the other 3. It is beautiful within itself.

Love the Resorts, I love visiting them, love the themes, and the time my family spends at the resort pools, exploring, or relaxing for an afternoon or evening break.

It is really our Home away from Home! We can't wait to return in June 2013!

:goodvibes

We love it for the very reason that you started this thread. With all of the day to day life stresses and negative all around Disney is our escape from all of that. Once we get onsite we don't leave for over a week and we surround ourselves with magic 24/7.

It may also be the only place on earth that we can go as a family that keeps us entertained and that has something for everyone. On other vacations at one time or another I will have someone complain, but not at Disney. Everyone in my family is happy and most everyone that you see has a positive attitude. I love that!

Then there is the beauty and the magic of it all. I am amazed my the smallest of details in everything. The grounds are just beautiful and nothing is left untouched. It's just amazing to me how they go out of their way to almost guarantee that you will have a fantastic time. I will never understand those who go and don't love it.

We didn't make our first trip to WDW until we were empty-nesters. Dh and I were able to reconnect there and actually just enjoy being together without all the distractions of daily life.

I love the everyone-is-nice-to-one-another atmosphere. If only the real world could take some lessons from WDW.

I love the sounds throughout the parks and resorts. I love the smells that come from the restaurants or particular areas of the parks. I love the variety of foods we can try while we are there. I love not being responsible for anything or having to answer to anyone for a few days. I love the break from reality.

I absolutely love meeting the characters! Even as an adult, I instantly feel like a kid again when I meet them. And where else in the world can you wear mouse ears and not look weird?! :goodvibes

It's the cast members who make it for me!

They're helpful and cheery and funny and every now and then just a little bit subversive. I love talking to them. :thumbsup2

From 'corporate takeovers' to stroller/ECV annoyances to ride breakdowns and rude guests, there's been a whole lot of negativity floating around the boards. I, for one, am starting to get a little depressed and down on...well, the human race. It seems we've lost the spirit of all the good things that we originally came here to talk about, however long ago that may have been.

So in the name of positivity and the one thing that we all have in common--a love for disney--why don't we come together and share why we love WDW (or anything else Disney) as much as we do?

Share as much or as little as you want; I'm not going to limit this to a "one greatest reason" kind if deal. Anything you have that brings you that warm Disney feeling is exactly what I'm looking for for this little bit of mini-Dis therapy! :goodvibes:

THANK YOU for starting this thread! I was about to give up on the disboard with all the recent negativity!!!!

There are so many things that keep us coming back - from that magical feel when we walk into the lobby of our "home" (the Poly) to that first walk through the gates of the Magic Kingdom. We have been saving for 2 years for this trip and I can't think of a single thing that will make it anything but amazing!

I can't wait for the long days, tons of food, lots of walking and new experiences. I'm ready for a huge Cinnamon roll at Main Street Bakery, Mickey waffles for every breakfast, a large pretzel in MK and my favorite dinner at Ohana. We get to experience the Candlelight Processional, New Fantasyland and updated Test Track - all new experiences this trip. We're going to search for Hidden Mickey's, ride the monorail and even sleep late!!!! This will be our last trip for a little while, so I guarantee it will be amazing!

Your vacation is all about what you make it - Being with my husband and kids on this vacation is something I can hardly wait to do! Less than 3 weeks to go!!!!!!!!

I love it because it's handed down from generation to genaration. Like a right of passage. My parents took me, I have taken my kids and soon, they will take their kids (and hopefully I am along for the ride). But most of all, it is something to look forward to. To plan. To wait. And then, no matter how much you have looked forward to it, it never seems to let you down.

My favorite memories of the most special moments to me...

At some time during Wishes, I stop looking to the sky, and turn to watch the faces of those I love. We have 5 children, 20 years apart in age, and as I watch them, I am aware of the closeness we share. Perhaps an older child is holding a younger one, or another has knelt beside a child in the stroller or DH is holding a child in his arms, pudgy little arm holding tightly to Daddy's neck, faces pressed cheek to cheek. Their heads tilted upward , eyes wide open with lashes, (my kids have lashes so long they could trip over them, lol) reaching towards the sky. As I watch their faces all aglow, the reflection of the fireworks twinkle in their eyes. Some times one of them notices that I am watching them, and they smile at me. Their expressions, the wonder and awe... it's magical.

I'm holding back tears right now!!!!!! I completely understand this feeling and you are right - there is nothing better!!!

Two examples from my most recent trip:

On Friday night, I was sitting down waiting for the parade at MVMCP. It was VERY, VERY crowded. A little girl, maybe 4-5 y.o. was sitting in a stroller next to me, making small talk. At one point, she noticed how crowded it was and asked me if her stroller was taking up too much room. :rotfl2:

Also, on Friday, at Enchanted Tales with Belle, one of the children chosen to be in the show was in a wheelchair (she only had one leg.) During the part at the end where all of the "cast" is introduced to Belle, Belle had a longer conversation with this one child, asking about the glitter in her hair, and where she had it done in the kingdom. It was a wonderful CM interaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter