Why do you go solo?

Solo can at times be the only way to go if you like being on your won schedule and go from one end of the place to the other and just do your own thing.

For someone who walks around NYC alone I find it very interesting that you don't see yourself I. Disney solo. For all the reasons mentioned the biggest one is no one really knows why you're solo. You could have been separated from your group, you sanded to try something that the others didn't or YOU JUST WANTED TO GO ALONE. :banana: I bet if you did one day solo in the parks you would want to do it again...

I know, in fact because we are a family of three and my wife and daughter don't like some of the faster rides, I go on alone anyway, but the thought of getting off a ride and not having any one to talk to about it would make me feel sad and out of sorts.

NYC is one of the places where I never feel alone. Not sure why, but I actually pefer it becasue I go on all day walking marathons and no one I know likes to walk that much. LOL.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with me.

No one that I know loves Disney like I do so I love planning my own trips because I can. No one to answer to while I am there. I get to go where I want and do what I want. I love taking my DD just as much and she loves it just as much, but solo I have more money for ME!!! I know that is stingy, but sometimes in life its ok to make thinks about only you. :thumbsup2

I know, in fact because we are a family of three and my wife and daughter don't like some of the faster rides, I go on alone anyway, but the thought of getting off a ride and not having any one to talk to about it would make me feel sad and out of sorts.

NYC is one of the places where I never feel alone. Not sure why, but I actually pefer it becasue I go on all day walking marathons and no one I know likes to walk that much. LOL.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with me.

Any time!!
you can never really feel alone in NYC; living in Jersey and being a person who has spent a good deal of time in the city, I can appreciate your enjoyment of being there. I know the first time I really did the parks alone the only weird part for me was when people asked how many in my party and I would say "one" and I would get that odd look from them as if to say "aw, I'm sorry you have no friends to go with." when in reality I have about a dozen people that would love to be with me in the parks but I CHOSE to go solo. don't be sad when you get off of a ride, just get back in line and do it all over again!

After 15 plus trips to WDW with the family, my family dare I say is over it. I go solo now and it is a completely different experience. Besides getting to do what you want to do, it gives me time to soak in all the little details that I missed when going with the family where the goal was to get on an attraction.

Definitely a different experience!

I have enjoyed going solo to WDW. If no one else is available to go when I am able, then I just make plans and go it alone.

While I enjoy going solo - I am independent and don't mind doing things on my own - I tend to have more fun when 1 or more people are with me.

That being said, when I have gone solo it's been 100% drama free. I can do what I want, when I want and how I want it. It's less stressful.

The only thing I really don't like doing by myself is eating out, so that was a tough thing for me to get over in WDW. I found myself doing CS and walking around eating rather than sitting and enjoying myself.

I LOVE going to WDW solo!!!! Just to be able to take my time, pick the resturants and times to eat and just to "people" watch are big positives in my book!!! Like a previous post mentioned, it is so less stressful and it does make it seem like a vacation. Eating solo is always enjoyable as I people watch while I eat and at times I thank my lucky stars I am eating alone and in peace. also, there are many times being a solo traveler I can get on rides quicker as there have been times only 1 rider is needed on a ride and the CM will let you "come to the front of the line" to get on a ride....I know there have been times I have been upgraded on my room as I was a single traveler..always a nice perk:):) CM are always more eager and open to speaking with you and striking up a conversation if they know you are traveling by yourself. I really enjoy doing WDW solo:):)

I go solo because I am solo. Divorced and kids are grown with their own families. I love being at WDW and would not have all these trips if I didn't want to go solo. There is nothing more relaxing that doing whatever you want to do, eating when and where you want. going full out or just sitting around. It is fabulous. I enjoy being with the family sometimes also, but they can not go nearly as much as I can. You have to be a person that is comfort with yourself.

Jeralyn

That would be me as well, in fact, almost exactly. There are times that I kind of wish I was sharing some of it with someone that enjoyed it as much as I do...but at my age that isn't likely to happen. My days of being Gods gift to Women have passed into more of a garbage bag of aging. :rotfl:

I, too, am older and single, and I am working on getting the courage to go solo on a trip to WDW. I had one booked for this November, but ended up inviting my (grown) daughter to go with me...of course, this means doubling my cost. I have taken the grandkids, and wasnt able to take my daughter when she was young, so I am glad I get to do this. However, the very next trip will be just me. I enjoy reading about other people going solo, and sounds like everyone enjoys their trip, so what the heck, I'll do it. Beats not getting to go at all! WDW is my happy place.

I've never done a solo trip to WDW but I plan to do 2 next year. I do solo trips for business all the time so I'm looking forward to having that freedom at my favorite place.

I have no problem eating alone, but I'm a little concerned about the character meals.

I absolutely adore the interaction with the characters and would like to dine at a few of my must-dos but I'm not sure how that would be dealt with at the restaurant. If I went to Ohana, 1900 Park Fare and Crystal Palace by myself would the "handler" be willing to take pics for me?

I've never done a solo trip to WDW but I plan to do 2 next year. I do solo trips for business all the time so I'm looking forward to having that freedom at my favorite place.

I have no problem eating alone, but I'm a little concerned about the character meals.

I absolutely adore the interaction with the characters and would like to dine at a few of my must-dos but I'm not sure how that would be dealt with at the restaurant. If I went to Ohana, 1900 Park Fare and Crystal Palace by myself would the "handler" be willing to take pics for me?

I'm sure you could find someone to take the picture for you. When me and my at-the-time DGF went to CRT last year our waiter offered to take some pictures of the 2 of us with the princesses (and even one of just us).

Yes, when I have gone to character meals. the handlers have always been more than happy to take my picture w/the characters... Some characters are more responsive to single travelers than others, though when you show you are interested in meeting with them they are more than happy to come visit..I think sometimes they feel you would rather be left alone, but in my case I enjoy the meet and greet...great fun. The little bit of magic and attention might be just what you need for the day:):)

I went to the World over Labour Day weekend with family. NO ONE wanted to spend the money to hit the parks and I have a seasonal pass. Although I love spending time at the pool and the resorts, etc... I had a pass and I was going to put my money's worth into it!!!

So, I headed to Epcot solo on the first day, made it by 9. Headed straight to Soarin' and was able to ride twice within the first 45 mins, both times on the top row since they were filling in what was left of the row after the families ahead of me went.

Test Track - Rode three times back to back with basically no wait in the Single Rider line.

After that, Did Spaceship Earth and then hoped on the monorail to MK. I rode Thunder several times (with fast pass) and had the seat to myself which was just fun to sit right in the middle. I went to the attractions that I wanted to go on as many times as I wanted without having to worry about potty breaks, food breaks, children meltdowns, adult meltdowns and negotiating to trying to get someone onto a certain ride. Plus, I skipped the ones that I am not fanatical about but, would normally ride when in a group.

I loved it! Now, I headed back 2 weeks later with my BFF and her kids and we had an awesome time but, solo trip was best. :).

As for eating out... I normally don't care about sitting at a restaurant solo and find that CMs treat you even better because you are solo. They are more attentive.

Jackie

I'm new here (hi), and I've just booked my first ever trip: not just solo, but to WDW at all.

Trip basics: First week of Sept (arriving on Labor Day Monday), Boardwalk Inn club level (for the location and the discount), and reservations at Le Cellier, Hollywood Brown Derby, Via Napoli, Les Chefs de France and tea at the GF. Since I'm so close to Epcot and HS, I'll have a park hopper.

I'm a single, and I don't mind traveling alone. I prefer it, for the same reasons as a lot of people: flexibility, being able to do/eat what I want, when I want, etc.

Only negative I've seen so far is that some of the restaurants - Le Cellier in particular - won't allow online ADRs for one person. Several times, entering '1 guest' showed no times; changing to 2 guests allowed me to book. Since you'd seat those parties at similar tables, it feels very like not being wanted.

I booked anyway. :) If they want to not seat me, that's fine, but then they need to post that as a policy...

Only negative I've seen so far is that some of the restaurants - Le Cellier in particular - won't allow online ADRs for one person. Several times, entering '1 guest' showed no times; changing to 2 guests allowed me to book. Since you'd seat those parties at similar tables, it feels very like not being wanted.

I booked anyway. :) If they want to not seat me, that's fine, but then they need to post that as a policy...

As it gets closer, be sure to call and amend the reservation to one person. The places that you have to leave a credit card will charge you $10 for people that don't show up. I did this for Le Cellier and Citricos in May.

Jeralyn

Thanks so much, Jeralyn. That's good advice. Le Cellier was the only reservation like that, but I'd rather not be charged extra just because I'm alone...

I am new here...HI there! :yay:

I have done solo trips to both WDW and DL. At first, its a little weird but overall, it is very relaxing and you get to do what you want, ride as many things as you want, as many times as you want!

I am divorced and friends are not into Disney so why not? I did feel weird eating by myself but hooray for the IPOD. :thumbsup2

Life is too short...have fun!

I'm new here (hi), and I've just booked my first ever trip: not just solo, but to WDW at all.

Trip basics: First week of Sept (arriving on Labor Day Monday), Boardwalk Inn club level (for the location and the discount), and reservations at Le Cellier, Hollywood Brown Derby, Via Napoli, Les Chefs de France and tea at the GF. Since I'm so close to Epcot and HS, I'll have a park hopper.

I'm a single, and I don't mind traveling alone. I prefer it, for the same reasons as a lot of people: flexibility, being able to do/eat what I want, when I want, etc.

Honestly, it seems like the issue has more to do with the limitations of their reservation system than not wanting singles. There (at least at one time) were multiple reports of the same issue when trying to book a party of 2, but a party of 3 would work fine. Or sometimes even issues booking 3, but 4 would have plenty of openings.

As it gets closer, be sure to call and amend the reservation to one person. The places that you have to leave a credit card will charge you $10 for people that don't show up. I did this for Le Cellier and Citricos in May.

Jeralyn

Thanks so much, Jeralyn. That's good advice. Le Cellier was the only reservation like that, but I'd rather not be charged extra just because I'm alone...

I know one of the tricks that used to be used by a lot of people (Especcially for events like the Wishes Dessert Party which require a pre-pay), is to use the "phantom infant" who is free but would allow you to bump up your party size in order to find the availability. Anybody know if the new credit card hold policy also impacts toddlers or infants on the reservation?

I went on my first ever solo trip anywhere in 2008 and decided to go to Disney World. It turned out to the greatest vacation I ever took. I planed everything and did everything in Disney on my time. Let me know if u want any tips

For the last decade DH and sons have happily taken off to go snowmobiling, 4-wheeling, or to Nascar races, and I've stayed home. Those things just don't interest me. Now it's my turn to get away for a few days ;)

My first trip to the World is scheduled for mid-Sept and I'm going solo. I'm really, really looking forward to it! -- the food, the sights, the entertainment. There'll be no waiting around while the rest of the family goes on rides that make me turn green, no cooking or cleaning, no whining teenagers (did I say that out loud?!?). Love 'em to death, but I'm flying the coop for a week in September!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter