Why do you go solo?

Ok..ILike I have said.This is my first SOLO to WDW...Not my first SOLO traveling.I had felt "ODD".Traveling to WDW because you think WDW is a family thing or lovers vacation.BUT after reading disboards.I have decided to give it a shot.My son and myself where there last JULY.Alot of people summer traveling.So my queston to you all seasoned vets...

1..How is the weather in FEB in Orlando..( generaly)...
2..Since schools will be in.are the parks less crowed??
3..Are there better deals at certian resturants,parks etc.?

I did get a good deal on my flight...Car rental sososososo..

1. I have been at the end of February many times. It can be chilly in the AM (early) but then always has risen to the mid 70's in the PM, or higher. Be prepared for either...it can get downright cold as well.

2. Many northern states schools have mid-winter breaks in February. It varies depending on the area but usually they time it to be during the Presidents week time. So, I guess it depends, but I always found that even the most crowded time in February was quite doable.

3. During slow season, Disney often has special resort deals that may or may not include Free dining. Just keep an eye open for it. It doesn't always happen either. Off-site there are many discounts during slow season. Your choice.

Cool...70 Degrees....I will make sure I bring my shorts...I will keep my eyes open for any specials...THANKS

I've done solo trips over the years, not letting having a friend or relative to share my trip stop me. Many times I will arrange to share my room with a friend, but if not, I'm still ok going solo.

Case in point for 2012. May. While I was on the Disney Wonder in December 2010, I booked a "dummy" date far off into the future to try the Disney Dream. So I picked a date in May, 2012. As the trip came closer and I really didn't ask around if any friends wanted to go, I still decided that I can do this 3-night "dummy cruise" as part of a larger trip.

So I used my DVC points to book a room 2 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise. I do know people who live near WDW, but I didn't contact them. I did a completely solo trip without meeting up with anyone I knew.

And it was fantastic! I have an annual pass, so I never have a rush to be at the parks at rope drop. I can walk through the parks and not feel the need to be going on attraction after attraction. I spent time enjoying live entertainment and attractions, and I had a cruise in between park visits. I really loved the down time on the Disney Dream. I had either a pre-dinner or after-dinner drink at Skyline, and on the first night, I did the dinner at Remy as a solo diner!

I had some trepidation at first, but I felt the staff were very attentive to me as a solo diner, and there was never a sense of a stigma for being there solo. The experience was fantastic, and I loved my meal. I have to confess that I have some sort of vibe that total strangers will talk to me without any provocation on my part, so I usually did have people to talk to. And there were times I started conversations.

But what I really enjoyed was the relaxing "me time". I was able to park myself with my Kindle and read (and uh, sleep) by the shady parts of the pool deck. :laughing:

I enjoy my trips with others, but that week of solo traveling was just what I needed. :goodvibes

To the veterans on traveling solo, now that we pretty much know why we go solo, what advice can you give to our new friends that are thinking about going solo

To anyone who is considering going solo: what are your concerns or issues with regards to going solo? do you think people will be looking at you because you are alone, is it you will feel out of place...tell us how we can get you on that solo train to Disney so you can have as much fun as the rest of us have

The only issue I have is being a guy on a solo trip.

To all the guys here who have gone solo, Do you get any weird vibes or does anyone even care if you're alone or not?

Well I felt the same way.But after reading these posts.Seems GUYS have done it before....I will tell you next month.Heading down in FEB.

The only issue I have is being a guy on a solo trip.

To all the guys here who have gone solo, Do you get any weird vibes or does anyone even care if you're alone or not?

I'm a guy and have done several solo trips. I have never felt awkward or uneasy. I will say that I have gotten a few looks while dining alone but interestingly enough they have been from children. Probably feeling sorry for me. I think most adults are too engrossed in their own family and trip to pay much mind to others.

I have a family and my children are grown. My wife doesn't enjoy Disney like I do and I have a lot of vacation days. My solution is to arrange a trip with an open invitation to anyone who wants to join me. If no one accepts its a guilt free solo trip. I'll be there in March for my "solo trip" joined by my 23 year old daughter and my wife for part of the trip. However if they weren't going I would still be there.

Other than dining no one knows that you are alone. Think of how many times you have gone with others and ended up alone. Running for fast passes, riding a ride no one else wants to ride. While standing in line the people ahead of you assume that you are with the group behind and the group behind thinks you are with the group ahead.

Well I have traveled SOLO before..I went sking,fishing up north.Eating by myself is no problem.I sit up at the bar.It is easier to strike up a conversation with people....I am actully heading down to lauerdale first...Take care of family business.Than go fishing for a day.( macho thing haa)...Then drive up to Orlando.It ought to be different thats for sure...

I recently booked my first solo trip and I'm sooo excited. My family is happy not to go back to Disney so I've decided to go alone. I'm going during the Flower and Garden Festival and I'm treating myself to a 5-day park hopper. We never get the park hopper when traveling as a family because it's so expensive.
My kids think I'm going to be lonely and have an awful time. :rotfl2:
I know I'll feel perfectly safe in Disney. I probably wouldn't feel as comfortable traveling anywhere else.

I was solo at the beginning of January. I was standing talking to a girl who was by herself and I asked if she was there solo and she said yes and asked if I was solo as well and I replied yes. It was at this point where a woman who was standing near us with her husband and kids turned around and said "that's creepy, you're a grown man!" So yeah. I was in utter amazement and did not really say anything. We were standing near an ice cream cart and the girl working the cart gave me a free ice cream. So that was nice.

I was solo at the beginning of January. I was standing talking to a girl who was by herself and I asked if she was there solo and she said yes and asked if I was solo as well and I replied yes. It was at this point where a woman who was standing near us with her husband and kids turned around and said "that's creepy, you're a grown man!" So yeah. I was in utter amazement and did not really say anything. We were standing near an ice cream cart and the girl working the cart gave me a free ice cream. So that was nice.

How rude and ignorant of that woman. :(

I believe that I might have had a response to that...it would be something like... Wow, that's creepy, a grown woman without enough sense to know when things are none of your business.

Iwould have reponded toward here"slightly more graphic"Like how badly she was dressed..

I have to say that I have enjoyed reading all these posts. I recently decided to do a solo trip in September. I keep getting "why?" from family and friends. Mainly the reason is I want to go and no one else does. So why not? I am a fairly "chatty" person and seem to be able "to meet" people everywhere I go so I am not too concerned. And I am used to being "alone" as I am single. I don't know why I have never considered a solo vacation before and if I am going to take one it might as well be at my favorite place in the world! Reading everyone else's successful solo trip experiences just makes my decision that much easier!

amfie928 said:
I have to say that I have enjoyed reading all these posts. I recently decided to do a solo trip in September. I keep getting "why?" from family and friends. Mainly the reason is I want to go and no one else does. So why not? I am a fairly "chatty" person and seem to be able "to meet" people everywhere I go so I am not too concerned. And I am used to being "alone" as I am single. I don't know why I have never considered a solo vacation before and if I am going to take one it might as well be at my favorite place in the world! Reading everyone else's successful solo trip experiences just makes my decision that much easier!

I wish I was chatty! I am very envious. I would love to be able to meet new people on my trips - and sometimes I do since they are chatty. But it would just be fun to meet new friends while traveling - especially at Disney World (the happiest place on earth).

As for my number one advice while traveling solo... bring Benadryl.

tabbytrekker said:
As for my number one advice while traveling solo... bring Benadryl.

My family are the poster children for travellers aid...we get sick, have accidents, get 2nd degree sunburn, bitten by bugs we are allergic to, have luggage lost, medical emergencies on flights (thankfully not us), and have mechanical issues with our planes. Now I wonder why I travel at all after listing that! :) Benedryl is right next to the bandaids and advil! Never leave home without it!

My family are the poster children for travellers aid...we get sick, have accidents, get 2nd degree sunburn, bitten by bugs we are allergic to, have luggage lost, medical emergencies on flights (thankfully not us), and have mechanical issues with our planes. Now I wonder why I travel at all after listing that! :) Benedryl is right next to the bandaids and advil! Never leave home without it!

But if you do forget it, Florida is a relatively modern area. You can buy it there.:)

amfie928 said:

On a solo trip to Colorado I learned the hard way that I am now allergic to Aleve, andI had no Benadryl. lol so looking like Quasimodo, I had to go down to the hotel gifts hop store to buy those little packets of Benadryl since I didn't have any with me. I now never go on vacation without it! :o)

I enjoy going solo to WDW. I have made 2 trips there solo & 4 trips with DS.
I'm single and DS 17 doesn't like to miss alot of school.

My 3rd Solo trip is coming up fast!

Going solo is nice! I plan my daily schedule & make all ADR's before I go.

When I get to WDW all I have to do is enjoy! When I get there I already know which park I am going to each day & where I will be eating...all the rest is up to me! I can come and go as I please...ride what I want, get as many Photopass pics as I want, see as many characters as I want, stay as late as I want...usually that means closing the parks down LOL

It is fun going solo, though it would be nice to make some new friends while there on a solo trip.

Because i can. While i do enjoy it more when i'm with my family, i do love being there alone to. took my first solo trip in 2009 and LOVED it. going tomorrow and cant wait to do and see everything at my own pace, which is actually quite fast lol. Mom will join me Sunday, looking forward to that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter