• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do you choose to go (or not go) in the HEAT and CROWDS?

micmacmissy

DIS Veteran
I thought it would be interesting to get people's feedback on why they choose to go to Disney in the summer or during school holidays when the heat and crowds are at their worst...or why they choose to specifically avoid that.

My two cents: we go in either early December or right after New Years when the parks are empty and the weather is cool. Yes, we pull our kids out of school! My logic is this: Disney is so expensive, I want to maximize our park time and really enjoy the days there, and not have to spend so much time (or ANY time, for that matter!) standing in line. We love being able to walk on rides, and having maximum wait times of 5 minutes.

As for the heat: we find kids, high temperatures, humidity, and rides are NOT a great mix. We love the cool weather, and it is so much more pleasant. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would go to Disney in the summer at all! (The only drawback to our plan, we've found, is that no one wants to swim outdoors, even in Florida, that time of year!)

So...what kind of family are you? When do you go, and why???

We go durning the summer because I am a paraprofessional and my hubby is a teacher it is very hard to go during school time. Also the weeks kids are off during the year we really can't go because two of our kids are in the public school system and one is in catholic school . They are never off at the same time anymore. We also drive it and make it a big trip we did universal one year we did myrtle beach south carolina twice so we try to see other areas of the country.

We go in the summer because I work for a school. I went once in December and I didn't like it. I had to wear too many clothes! I would like to go in late April or early May.

We always go at the end of August. We'll deal with the heat, but(traditionally) the crowds are down. And the kids don't miss any school.

School teacher here. The only times we can go are summer, Christmas, or spring break. We usually go in summer. I can retire from teaching in five years. We're looking forward to going in the fall.

My first trip, outside of being 5 years old, was my honeymoon three years ago in Sept 04. It was great! The crowds were low, and this was duing a 7 for the price of 5 deal. The weather was great, we somehow scheduled our trip during the only week without a hurricane that season. It was probably mid 80's and low humidity all week. So the next year we decided to go in Sept again. The crowds were a little more, still very manageable, never had to wait more than 20 minutes. However, it was a lot hotter! Probably in the 90's and high humidity. Therefore this past year, we went in February. The temparture was great, although a little chilly at night. I found the crowds to be a lot higher though, and it wasn't even President's Week. After these three trips I learned, I will take higher temps over crowds. My mom went this past June and after hearing about the crowds, there is no way I think I could ever go in the middle of summer. DH and I are expecting our first child in Nov and although it will probably be a few years, I think we are shooting for Oct. Crowds may be slightly higher than Sept, but temps should be slightly cooler. I could deal with heat, if there was no crowds and I can deal with crowds with no heat. I cannot deal with both. I will be one of those parents who will most likely pull thier children out of school for a few days for vacation.

As far as heat and crowds, I think July is the worst.
The first time I went in July was when my oldest was 2. My husbands family who all live on the west coast of Florida (most have past away now) were doing a gathering in Daytona. We booked an entire floor of a small motel on the beach and had a great time. Two rooms were effic, so we made some group meals... sent for chinese food one night - all the children got violently ill - it was nasty - that poor motel manager. I think it was the pork fried rice - the people that didn't get any (it was gone the quickest) were okay. We took our little girl and a few of the younger cousins over to disney anyway - they made speedy recoveries.
The second time we went in July was a 3 week driving trip - and my daughter was 9, my youngest was 20 months, and we took my mom. It was split between Disney, St. Pete, and Sarasota, it was fun - but again it had to be when my contract work came to an end, my daughter was out of school, my mom could get off, and same with my spouse.
The third time we went in July was for two weeks - 9 years later -- 9 years without a vacation or trip to Florida (other then funerals-- and there were quite a few and you cant do disney with a funeral) and it was in July because there were exactly 2 weeks that my children were "off" at the same time. My daughters college schedules were that out of whack with my sons school schedules.

Now it WASN't THAT bad. Mid 90's and very humid is the normal for July at home. The crowds were bad - but we were smart. THANKS to the DisBoards - you take the advice you find here, for survival in the heat and crowds - and our trips have been wonderful... the crowds and heat were bad in 1995 and 1988 :)

AND its vacation, so we slow down :)

We avoid summer because we can (no kids) and we're not really people who enjoy high heat and humidity. It gets bad enough here in Illinois (although today it didn't even get to 70!), but Florida's a whole 'nother thing!

Our first trip as a family was in early April of 2005. Great temps, like 80's and hardly any waits in line. We just came back last week from the hottest weather we've ever experienced on a vacation, and the longest lines I've ever seen! We decided to go in early August, 1st because we did not want to take our son out of school, 2nd because it was the start of value season and 3rd because we thought the crowds would be less because people would be done with their vacations and back home ready to go to school.

Welp, about in about the middle of Day 2 my DH looks at me with the reddest, sweatiest face I've ever seen on him and I said---"Just think--we saved $200!" He said, "Next time, just pay the extra.."

Fast pass lines had a 50 minute wait! EMH wasn't much better in the early hours, but we couldn't stay awake much longer than midnight to ride anything else, it just wasn't worth it. The bus lines were long--with some waits being close to 30 or 40 minutes. We spent most of our vacation waiting in line--for restaurants, buses, rides.

People carrying those $17 water misters and their tank tops just covered in sweat, it was amazing to us that we never heard more complaints or people being irate because of the weather. The crowd seemed calm, but I think they were just too tired and sweaty to open their mouths to complain.

We did notice, however, that not many people had heavy tans----it's because they were all walking from air conditioned place to air conditioned place! (and btw, the Hall of Presidents is THE BEST!) You don't even have to go inside to watch the movie, just park yourself on one of those cushioned benches inside the place.

If we do decide to return, it will be during value season, BUT during a time when the kids are back in school and we will just take our child out. He's an "A" student and he can just take his work with him. I said I'd never do that, but we just basically wasted $2500 to stand in lines. Never again.

Plus the added inconvenience of the DDP, bolting from standing in an hour long line, to make the bus to catch the ferry, to get the monorail to make it to a dinner reservation. But I won't even go there........:rolleyes1 And I'm not the only one with this opinion--friends of ours that were there the same week said the same thing and he said they are totally exhausted and it was the most unrelaxing trip he's ever had. I guess Disney added all these extra things and bigger/better attractions so that you'd want to go back a few times a year so you can see it all and do it all.

We don't enjoy high humidity, high temperatures, or big crowds -- so June, July, August and most of September are off-limits as far as WDW is concerned. The average high those months is in the 90's.

I usually go in October, but I want to go over the 4th of July next year to see the fireworks.

We feel that school is an obligation just like work. School attendance instills a good work ethic that will serve our boys well once they are out in the real world. So, we only go during school vacations...but that Food & Wine Festival sure sounds fun...someday!

early september for us...it is still nice weather (sometimes too hot) but crowds are low (hopefully even with free dining) and my hubbie will never go any other time since he knows how light traffic is in sept!
kim

I went in early August once, I won't make that mistake again. I did that because the kids had to be in school by the middle of August, and you can't take a Sr out of school. I've been in April, May, Sept, Oct, and Dec as well. We had great weather for April, May, and Sept. Oct was great until Hurricane Wilma went through. It got very cool for FL after that. I was glad I had several sweatshirts packed, since it was really cool in the evening. Dec was great the first two days, the last 2 got fairly cool. I'd bought a Santa Mickey hat to wear for MVMCP. I ended up wearing it alot since it was fairly cool. Course, I'd also packed 2 complete outfits for each day, short to sweatshirts. I'd didn't wear most of the shorts.

Up until this year we have pulled the kids out for trips but older DD stated this year that she didn't think she could afford to miss anymore so it's Jan 2-6 for us, due mainly to the strange Christmas break we're getting. We were just there May 18-22 (right when school dismissed) and usually go during spring break. We went in July of '05 and swore that we would never d othat again, especially at a moderate. Too hot, too crowded and the buses took forever.

The last 4 years we have gone in Oct. around a school holiday. Yes, I have taken the boys out of school but because of the holiday they onyl miss one full day. This year we are going in Nov. and it will be a week they have 2 half days so they will miss a total of 2 days. I know there are a lot of people that will disagree with this. My boys are good students and the teachers have been understanding every year.

We go with my parents and there is no way my mother could deal with the crowd and/or heat. We totally avoid MK on Saturdays because of this - even in Oct. Last year when we where there, we found out after we arrived that there was a local school holiday - oops. That day in EPCOT w/ that holiday plus Food and Wine - you could barely walk through the World Showacase. My mom left almost immediately. I love my mom but she is not a very patient person. Our last day this year will be the weekend before T'giving. I am interested to see how busy this will be. I plan on getting everything we want to do in on the week days.

We went last december and loved it! The only reason we are going in two weeks is the free dining and I hope that it is not so busy and hot that we regret it. After that, we are tentativly planning for December of 08!! :banana: Nice weather and low crowds and christmas decorations.

This is why we generally try not to go in the hottest part of the year! (anymore)

I'm a teacher.

My husband is a teacher.

All 3 of our kids are in school of some sort (ages 4,7, and 10) and we have a big problem with the idea of missing school for vacation.

So we're going next August, right after my SAT prep course ends.

We'll be there the first week of July next year. Our 10th anniversary will be on the 4th and our daughter's 8th birthday will be on the 5th.

I'm not all that concerned with the heat because it is generally hotter and way more humid here than it is there.

I also don't like the idea of pulling my daughter out of school for a vacation. If we ever go to year round school I would consider going another time of the year, but for now summer is really the only option.

As our kids got older, we spent more time at the water parks in the summer than sweating in line at the parks. Our last summer trip was quite a while ago, we went at the very end of August, into Labor Day weekend. The crowds were great, hardly busy at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter