Why do you choose the resort you do?

Sparrow624

"I wash my hands of this weirdness"
So,

We were having an interesting conversation at work in which a co-worker asked why we like to stay at the GF for only 6 or 7 nights when we could stay at POR for 11 or 12 nights at about the same cost?

It got me thinking why people choose to make the resort decisions they do.

So, here is my answer:

My wife and I like the GF for a few reasons. One, we LOVE the magic Kingdom and our second favorite is Epcot. If we totally skip AK and spend half a day at MGM (holleywood) we are ok, but will go to the MK 6 or 7 times. Two, our favorite thing to do is to sit on the balcony at night, watch the castle change colors, and listen to the music from MK.

I guess that is why.

I wish I could do those things from another non-deluxe resort...but Disney is smart there and will never let that happen.

Our biggest factor now is location. We want to have easy (no-bus-required) access to at least one park. We loved being on the monorail when we stayed at the Poly, and found ourselves frustrated with how long it took to get everywhere from CBR. So next year we are trying YC, and looking forward to being able to walk to both DHS and Epcot.

DH says he will only stay Deluxe now, simply b/c of the location. Sure, we could do a mod or value and stay more days, and even theoretically have more park time even with the added time in transit, but the in-the-moment stress of feeling like you spend your whole day sitting on a bus or waiting for one just wouldn't be worth it. And he refuses to drive on vacation, so renting a car isn't an option, lol!

I will admit I like the "feel" of the deluxe resorts, but I would probably be willing to give that up if they plopped a value (with value pricing) down next to a major park. Until then, we will wait until we can afford the deluxe resorts. I'm hoping Contemporary will be next after YC in April :)

Every trip is different for me. Here is my current reasoning for my one past trip and my upcoming trips:

ASMo - kids are nuts for Toy Story so we went with a preferred room at ASMo and got in the TS wing. First trip for the kids and they loved it!
AoA - we are bringing my step son and my mom so that makes 6 -- we need the room plus the kids love Cars!
POFQ (or POR) - still not sure about this one. Originally we were going to be a party of 5 so we were going to stay in AB at POR. Now we are party of 4 so other options are open to us. We are booked at POFQ for now.
ASSports - this trip will be to celebrate DS's 5th bday so he gets to pick the resort. I imagine it will be this one or maybe a repeat of ASMo or AoA. 5 is the magic age where the kids get the trip to Disney for their bday and get to pick the resort etc.. so we will have a August 2013 and October 2014 bday trips!
I figure as we keep planning more trips, the resort choice will be determined by the circumstances around a particular trip which is fun!

blt - my hoime resort

it is near lakes. (so is Pop) - you can walk to the MK!!! take the monorail to Epcot - so getting there is easy - it is the next stop on the monorail (TTC). now getting back from Epcot takes a while longer.

plus BLT has lots of activities so even if I don't feel like going to a park - there is something fun to do.

also love all the other DVC resorts - each has it own fun things to do. also love Pop - but at times the crowds can get to me.

So,We were having an interesting conversation at work in which a co-worker asked why we like to stay at the GF for only 6 or 7 nights when we could stay at POR for 11 or 12 nights at about the same cost?

I don't know about most people, but I can't be gone for 11 days, so I may as well stay where I want for 7! ;)

We loved POR so much, we barely looked at any other resorts this trip. (OK, I did look at AKL & GF...I confess) It was so convenient and well, beautiful! We could've stayed value for 2 days longer, but we can't stay 2 days longer, so back to POR we go!

I sort-of went the round about way to get my home resort - POR.

Back when I first started going, I did the land-sea package. It was structured from different resort levels and cabin categories on the ship.

So in order to afford it, I did a moderate resort with an inside mid-ship cabin on deck 5. I went to CBR first, wanted to try some other moderate resorts, so the next year I tried out POR. At the last minute, the TA got me an upgrade to the Dolphin since POR was going through refurbishments. The third year, I chose POR and fell in love with it, as did my mom, who was with me on the trip. (She went nuts over cruising that year too!).

I have taken some friends and done some solo trips and everyone seems to love POR with all its amentities.

Well, we can't go for 11 or 12 nights. DH can't be away from work for that long. So, even though we have the money for longer, we can't make it work. I picked BCV for my birthday trip last year because of SAB. I picked CBR for our summer trip because it was a last minute budget trip and it was the only mod available (originally picked a value, but wanted pool slides). Our first trip I picked ASMu for the family suites.

For us it's all about location. The Epcot hotels make it so much easier to get everywhere. Right in the middle of everything. BC & YC have IMO the best pool too. We always rent a car and know most of the parking tricks to get a good spot and that speeds things up so we end up getting a lot more done without wasting time waiting for a bus or monorail

We choose Saratoga Springs because we find it very relaxing due to its size. it is in close proximity to all the parks, DTD is in walking distance or can be reached by boat fairly easily and the views into DTD are stunning. and also its a lovely resort! :goodvibes

the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness.

We love that we can take a boat to and from the Magic Kingdom and the monorail. (It is nice to have an option other than "THE BUS")

We love the peace of the campground. You are still immersed in the Disney experience, but you can also sip your morning cup of coffee on the deck in your PJs.

We seriously considered the new Art of Animation for our trip next year...it took 2-weeks of trying to decide which section we wanted to stay in before we finally gave up and realized that we just wanted to stay at the Cabins again : )

We have a goal of staying at all the resorts. We typically visit Disney 3 times per year & this has allowed us to nearly attain our goal. We only have 5 more resorts to complete them all - Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Treehouse Villas, Art of Animation & Wilderness Lodge.

Our favorite place to stay is Caribbean Beach!

My decision is based on finances. I am happy to pick a value if need be. We do prefer moderate because we visit in June & I like shady areas of the moderates. But discounts & a postcard with a pin code always wins out & the resorts that are offered under that discount.:yay:

For us, it's location. We are a family of 5 and can only visit every two years. We started out at POR when it was Dixi Landings, but it was too cramped for us. The Poly is our favorite, but the GF was a very nice change of pace. Love to get up and see the castle.

For us it kind of depends on the needs of our family at the time of travel.

2008- We had a 3 year old, didn't make as much money and only DREAMED of getting to go to Disney, so we picked ASMovies because we knew he would love the theme. We were right :)

2010- We had a 5 year old and a 9 month old and are making more money. We visited Coronado Springs while there in 2008 and we all just thought it was beautiful. Traveled with family on this trip and wanted them to experience a nice hotel with great amenities.

2012- We have a 7 and a 2 1/2 year old. Coronado Springs is beautiful and we loved it, but the 2 1/2 year old has some pretty significant medical and sensory issues. WE NEED A SMALLER RESORT!! So, we are going to try POFQ and see if we like it. Honestly, I think I could stay in a box on the corner of ANY resort and be happy I was in Disney. However, we are staying for 12 nights this trip and could only stay that long if we were in a Moderate with FREE dining ;)

However, if I get a great deal, I would love to stay at a deluxe. The problem is that I may not be so willing to stay at the Moderate level after that. :)

Simple math for us.

Hate WDW buses + Epcot & DHS are our favorite parks = Epcot Area Resort. And since we bought DVC at BWV, we're set!

All about price for me. I can take 2 trips to Disney if I stay at PoR. If I stay somewhere like the poly I can only swing 1. Hmmm.....1 trip or 2 trips?

2 TRIPS!!!!!! :goodvibes

We pick the middle of the road based on location and price .... Really want nothing to do with value resorts, so that leaves us moderates and deluxes...

To get away from the high price deluxes and a step above the moderates we go to WL.... Not as high prices as the other deluxe resorts and in the MK area which we prefer and it's off the beaten path but only a boat ride away from the MK....

Then the price is right... Usually have a good AP discount or at least a AAA discount which makes this resort economical for us....

Everyone has their reason and picks but we base ours on location and then price!!

SSR or OKW are my fav. My DH likes the dining options at SSR while I love the foliage and seclusion of OKW. While we're not crazy about bus service, we do occasionally use it. Since we go off season, it's usually not too bad. We also use our personal vehicle quite often, except to MK for obvious reasons. I just love hearing "Welcome Home" upon our arrival, and I really feel like we're home.

We love the Boardwalk. We have been staying there for the last 10 years.
We also love the atmosphere at night with the jugglers and magic acts. We love Epcot and the walk is only 5 min!!!

We are only going for 6 nights and plan to spend most of our time in the parks, only in the rooms to sleep (including naps) and get ready. Our children are 6 and under, and DH has never been and does not see the value in the Disney vacation just yet, so I went with price and theme appealing to kids.

It is my hope that everyone falls in love with Disney World, and we get to return next year to stay in the Pirate rooms at CBR, assuming my boys are still into pirates. This has been a recent interest, so part of me regrets not doing it this year.

If it becomes an annual thing, the next step would probably be a monorail resort, when kids are a little older. At the current time, park hopping is not at all appealing, but as they get older, I know it will be and we would prefer being at one of the resorts with more transportation options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter