• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do they.....

Deb & Bill

DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
Why do they always start with small sizes on the top shelf and go down in sizing so the largest size is on the bottom shelf? It stands to reason that the person needing the largest size is larger and would easily be able to reach the higher shelf and the person needing the smaller size would easily be able to get the one they want from the lowest shelf. Instead the 6' tall person is on their knees trying to find their size just above the floor and the 5' tall person is standing on their toes trying to reach the top shelf.

I think they view it as way to get people some free bending and stretching exercise!

I agree....Heavy should be down lower because of weight......don't want that falling on someone if it slips

I would say there are a couple of reasons. Product placement is a science. Manufacturers and distributors pay extra to have things in the middle at eye level. Also, items that cost more per unit are usually going to be eye level or a little higher. In a hurry you're more likely to grab something right in front of you than on a low shelf. Lastly, bigger things are generally heavier. If an item is dropped or knocked off it's better that it be a small item and not a giant, heavy family size. One of the those big laundry detergent containers could really hurt someone!

Now see, I read this as being about clothing not food. I would wonder about this all of the time! There's a hosiery shop that I used to go to that has their items in drawers. Smallest sizes at the top, bottom drawers hold the large and extra large. So you're either doing the eternal squat trying to go through the larger size drawers or you end up sitting on the floor.

Ever have a 25 lb. bag of flour fall on your head as you stretch to try to reach it on the top shelf? Do you think it would be less of a problem if a 1 lb. bag of flour was up high instead? That's why. Safety reasons.

Now see, I read this as being about clothing not food. I would wonder about this all of the time! There's a hosiery shop that I used to go to that has their items in drawers. Smallest sizes at the top, bottom drawers hold the large and extra large. So you're either doing the eternal squat trying to go through the larger size drawers or you end up sitting on the floor.

Me too. Is the inference that the people who want larger packages of food are larger people? Wha...? Anywya, it's about clothes. I think it's jsut because when you fold them the smaller clothes sit better on top. We did this in a stor I worked in, though we kept all sizes on the main table - only overstock was at the bottom part and that could be any size, just in the same order, smallest on top.

I knew you were talking about clothes this has been my complaint for years - I can climb shelves like no ones business I HATE trying to get clothes
Also buying food is a challenge often times I just can’t get something because I’m too short and it’s too far back on the shelf my luck the items I want are always on the top ugh
So frustrating !!! Not like you can find an employee to help you either - they are hard to find

One of the advantages of still wearing kids sizes as an adult is that most everything is down low.

Why do they always start with small sizes on the top shelf and go down in sizing so the largest size is on the bottom shelf? It stands to reason that the person needing the largest size is larger and would easily be able to reach the higher shelf and the person needing the smaller size would easily be able to get the one they want from the lowest shelf. Instead the 6' tall person is on their knees trying to find their size just above the floor and the 5' tall person is standing on their toes trying to reach the top shelf.
Just to be clear, we are talking about breakfast cereal right. Cuz I ain’t that tall, but love me some Honey Smacks.

Actually they do the same thing with dumbbells at the gym. You ever notice? I exploded a disc because of it. Put the 80’s at hip level. Put the 5’s on the bottom rack!!!

The stores I shop at have the various sizes of the same product on the same shelf. Family sized box of Life cereal as an example, next to the regular size.
The eye level shelf has the brand name (read higher priced/higher profit) items on the top and bottom shelves have the less expensive brands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter