• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why Do Some Parents....

Then you would have really thought I was weird! I always did my shopping using my double stroller from the time my twin daughters were infants until they were 3 1/2. My reasoning was at certain ages it wasn't safe to put them into the cart, there wasn't enough room for groceries with two in the cart, the carts are dirty and my girls were preemies. I also had an older DD so she usually sat in the seat part of the cart. When I had to bring all three girls shopping I just put my groceries in the bottom of the stroller and a hand cart. At first I was worried people might think I was stealing, but then who cares because I obviously wasn't. At that time my DH had a stupid job so he worked tons of hours and we never knew when he'd be home so I pretty much had no choice but to take all the kids shopping with me. Boy am I glad my girls are old enough to walk along with me now. :D

I often bring my stroller into a store because my son who is 2.5 years old will not sit in it.

He is houdini and I haven't found a belt strap that will/can hold him in, no matter how hard I pull it.

He can either wiggle out or unsnap the piece that holds the belt. He does the same to the top clip of his carseat. However he can not get fully out of a 5 pt harness because he can not undo the bottom snap of one. So often if I have to take him in a store he's in the stroller.

One time my son got hand, mouth and foot disease. He was about 7 months. He had canker sores in his mouth and ran a 103 temp. The only thing we had done was go grocery shopping. We are pretty sure it was from the cart.

I don't worry about germs a lot, but I do use my stroller sometimes in big box stores. My kiddos are 13 months apart and both love to walk. Neither likes riding in a cart if they don't have to. They think they aren't comfy. I can put both of them in the stroller vs. only one in the cart and that makes things a bit more fair.

I stow stuff under the stroller all the time and have never had anyone look at me cross eyed. This will sound silly but I don't worry about strangers getting the wrong idea about me stealing as much as I worry about my toddlers thinking we just put things we want into our stroller. So I make a point of telling them "we will put this here until we get to the registers and can pay for it" and "lets check and make sure we didn't miss anything in the bottom of the stroller so we pay for everything"

One time my son got hand, mouth and foot disease. He was about 7 months. He had canker sores in his mouth and ran a 103 temp. The only thing we had done was go grocery shopping. We are pretty sure it was from the cart.

My DD is getting over that right now - but ours was from the Disney Store!!!

Adults usually show no symptoms of HFMD. You or DH could have picked it up at work from another adult and passed it on or any adult in contact with your child could have given it to him if they were infected and secreting the virus.

Just FYI about that. We have had moms who think if they only use their own things, their kids won't catch viruses, but sometimes mom or dad bring them home and never know it. :)

We used the carts. But if I had a "mouther (you know the kids who put their mouths on EVERYTHING)" I never would have. Our kids have walked for the most part, though, once they could. I don't think we ever used the stroller once they could sit up well.

As far as how that worked out for us. They have had a few colds. DD15 and DD13 had the chicken pox when the oldest was in Kindergarten. DS3 has asthma, so he goes in occasionally for that. Otherwise, the only doctor visits we have had that were not for yearly physicals were a knee sprain, and one for each of my youngest when they wiped out and put teeth through their lips...oh, and DS13 had 3 stitches once. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter