• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do so many DH resist Disney?

We were talking about what we were going to do on vacation this year and my DH said "Lets get Disney out of the way this year the kids are at a good age now so we can do a REAL vacation next year". So I jumped on it and had our trip booked a few days later. Now he is grumpy about the price of everything, he is driving me crazy he is taking the excitment out of the trip for me, DS don't know we are going yet. DH is renting a car one of our days so he can do a non disney thing but I'm going to the parks that day. I'm a huge Disney fan and I know DS's will be too very soon. He may be going back soon. Nancy

wercruzin said:
And I am male.. (keep that in mind)

First: It is expensive.

Second: On a bad day you and your family are fighting between 20k and 80k people at any given park to enjoy the rides.

Third: You get up early to go to the parks, you stay late trying visit the attractions.

Fourth: To really see the characters (The ones that kids really want to see) you have to either wait in line, or pay $39 and up per person for a character dinner/meal.

Last but not least.. It is one huge hassle.. You pay top dollar to be hurded like cattle in the parks.. Bumped into by rude people(I quit slam dancing in the late 80's) , run over by teen agers (school groups), cursed at, pushed out of line (my child was here first), and be littled.. It is suppose to be the Happiest Celebration on Earth..

I went, had a pretty good time, but feel that there are better vacations to drop big bucks on..

There is nothing relaxing about it, except the feeling you get when you get on the bus heading back to the resort, knowing that you made it thru another excursion to one of the theme parks.

I need a vacation now to recover from 5 days at WDW..

Oh yeah .. one more thing.. I will go back.. And hopefully it won't be too long.. (What we do for our kids..)

Sounds like you may like it a little more than you are letting on??? :)

My DH loves it. We can't imagine going anywhere else for a long vacation, even though we get told all the time by my in-laws that we should :rolleyes:

We have no problem relaxing there at all. We don't get up early anymore and last time we didn't stay late. We stroll through the parks and don't rush--EVER. I personally don't find it near as expensive as one might think. The feeling we get when there is one we just can't get anywhere else. We've learned to do the parks on a budget, but we are paying for the DP this year.
We've never felt like cattle, only occasionally run across a very rude guest, and we do character breakfasts instead of dinners because they're cheaper. We never wait in line to see a character. I refuse.

At any rate, DH would plan the trip if i couldn't for some reason, but he thinks I know more than him so I do all the planning every year and he is more than happy to give me his input. I think we love WDW more than our two older DD's...and we have brainwashed our youngest to be a WDW fanatic.

I hate to hear of a DH that hates WDW...or even just tolerates it. I guess I feel like as long as there are kids around, its important to enjoy vacations with them...to see Disney through the eyes of a child is incredible....there will be plenty of time to take that fishing trip when the nest is empty.

I loved your post, BTW, and I'm bettin that somewhere...tucked way back in a spidery corner of your heart...is a place for WDW and the memories you have had there with your family ??? :teeth: ;)

MY DH likes disney while we are there but he likes water better so the beach or a cruise is more to his taste. I just tell him how his DS is only young once and he is the perfect age . He stopped getting :furious: everytime I book now so I think the dining has help. I love my DH and will book him a cruise soon. :thumbsup2

That's another thing. I take trips designed around dh's interests too...happily! I happily sit by the fire at a mountain condo making chili and smores for the return of dh and oldest dd who've been skiing all day. I happily entertain the kids and spend hours (okay...days!!) at the pool in Las Vegas while he gambles. Once the girls have graduated college...I have promised to put on my warmest coat and brave an Alaskan cruise with him. We all support each others interests and desires-and that includes travel.

When I read posts like this I need to thank God for DH!! He loves to travel and really loves WDW and the whole Orlando area. It is my Daddy that is getting tired of our trips to WDW.

I honestly don't know what I would do if my DH didn't want to go to WDW. I guess we would try to go without him on a tight budget with my mom, but I couldn't imagine :guilty:

I have heard many people say that a trip to WDW isn't a real vacation, not relaxing, etc. I wonder what their idea of a vacation is??? WDW can be relaxing if you choose that kind of trip, but it will have a lot of walking no matter what. If laying on the beach for days is the only kind of vacation there is I would stay at home. I want to get out and see and do things. I can relax and lay around at home, that is where I am comfortable anyway :teeth:

We do other trips. We usually go to the beach for spring break, visit the Smoky Mtn.s 3 or 4 times a year, go to some Reds games in Cincy, Washington, D.C., etc. as well as WDW. Nothing and I mean nothing is as close to my heart as WDW. I dream of it.

My dh doesn't find WDW to be the magical, sentimental, escapist experience that I do, but he goes along willingly, maybe because I'm the one who plans our vacations, and the last couple of years I haven't given him much choice ;). As long as he gets a quick ski trip or two each winter, it seems he's pretty happy to go along with me on the little family expeditions I plan. I am afraid, however, that his accomodation of my Disney addiction might mean that I'll have to start going along on some of those ski trips, especially when our kids are a little older. I'm more of a beach girl, myself. I can't fathom why anyone wants to go plummeting down the side of a mountain on a couple of little sticks in sub-zero temperatures.

Anyway, as for the crowds and such, I don't really consider WDW a relaxing vacation, but I've also decided that the idea of a relaxing vacation with small children is a bit of an oxymoron.

I guess something must be wrong with my mode of thinking because I'm a guy and I love going to WDW and look forward to every trip. I'll be turning 39 in another week and I love WDW more than my kids. Epcot is one of my favorite places to walk around, especially at night and of course I love MK, who doesn't? :teeth:

I know walking around a crowed theme park in the hot sun isn't for everyone but if you do it right and have a plan it doesn't seem bad to me. I know a lot of guys that like to do things on their own and don't get into the "family togetherness" thing and only do things that intrest them. My buddy and I had a heated discussion about vacations and he wants to take his 5 year old daughter to the Grand Canyon this summer instead of the 7 day Disney cruise that his entire family is going on. I told him that driving three days across country to see the Grand Canyon isn't going interest her like Disney would and that's for someone who's older and would appreciate it more. He just wants to do what he likes and that's it.

My father did his own thing and had his own hobbies and if you didn't like what he wanted to do, then tough. A lot of fathers back when I was growing up did the same thing as well. Growing up in the 70's, my next door neighbor went fishing by himself every weekend on a huge boat and never took his kids and his daughters resented it to this day. I swore that I would never do something like that and if I got a hobby that I wouldn't let it overtake the family and just be "my thing". When I retire and the kids grow up, then I 'll have time to travel to adult places like Vegas, etc, etc. Right now I have no desire to go to places like Las Vegas and it's not my thing.

I worked at Marriott's Great America in the mid 1980's and now it's a Six Flags theme park. You can't compare Six Flags and Disney because they are completely different and there's no way I would ever travel and spend a week at one of Six Flags parks across the nation. We used to have a season pass but the park is so dirty and run down, it's not worth it. BTW, it's about the same amount to get into Six Flags as it is MK at WDW. I think I'll always go to WDW til the day I die and that's just fine with me. Years from now, I want to be in my 70's, touring the parks and enjoying what Disney has to offer. :teeth:

Eddie :wave:

At 56 and with two grown daughters, I just bought into DVC...my wife thinks I need to see a shrink !!!.

To me it's an escape...a place to go that is far removed from home. I don't want a condo in Ft. Lauderdale...I want something more...call it the magic of Disney...call it re-living my childhood...call it whatever you want...it just feels right to me.

Another DH checking in. Our family loves WDW, but nobody loves it more than me. If someone told me I could never go any place besides Disney for the rest of my life, I would only be slightly put off that we could never visit Europe again. My fear is that DW will someday burn out on it...but she likes it quite a lot. I am a recovering commando style tourist and it has made a big difference. With 35 visits under our belts, it's easier to look at a long line for an attraction and say "nah, we'll catch it next time". I love dining, shopping, chilling in the lounges, enjoying the resorts, and riding our favorite attractions along with the newest ones. :earsboy:

Priorityonecb said:
My dh is really looking forward to our trip...although he wants *nothing to do with the planning. He knows he can just go on the trip and everything is taken care of the entire way. He works so hard...it's nice for him to have those two weeks where I have taken care of everything...and all he has to do is come along for the ride and enjoy being totally irresponsible and have fun.

My DH is the same way. He loves going but leaves the planning to me. :yay: He will help pick between restaurants and little decisions but the main planning is mu job. :woohoo: He says we can go every year if I want to. He enjoys hunting and camping more but know WDW is fun for DS and Me!!! :earsboy: princess:

wercruzin said:

Second: On a bad day you and your family are fighting between 20k and 80k people at any given park to enjoy the rides.

Third: You get up early to go to the parks, you stay late trying visit the attractions.

Fourth: To really see the characters (The ones that kids really want to see) you have to either wait in line, or pay $39 and up per person for a character dinner/meal.

Last but not least.. It is one huge hassle.. You pay top dollar to be hurded like cattle in the parks.. Bumped into by rude people(I quit slam dancing in the late 80's) , run over by teen agers (school groups), cursed at, pushed out of line (my child was here first), and be littled.. It is suppose to be the Happiest Celebration on Earth..

I went, had a pretty good time, but feel that there are better vacations to drop big bucks on..

There is nothing relaxing about it, except the feeling you get when you get on the bus heading back to the resort, knowing that you made it thru another excursion to one of the theme parks.

That about sums up my husband right there. We are going in December and he has said he would rather be anywhere but Disney. He loves to travel and gets to do one really cool trip each year (he works at a boarding school). In the last 3 years he has been to Thailand, Laos, South Africa, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. Travel isn't his problem, it is Disney. I think for him it is mostly that we are paying a lot of money and it will be early mornings, waiting in lines (hopefully not, I am a TGM-er), overstimulated kids, yada, yada, yada. He can't think of one good thing about it and is only going because he feels guilty missing the kids first time (I did offer to go without him and bring my Mom instead!).

We rent a house at the beach in Maine each year for a week and that is his idea of the ideal vacation. We get up when we want, stroll down the street a few steps to the beach, set up shop and enjoy the sun, sand and surf. It is an extremely relaxing week with no timetable and no lines and it doesn't set us back thousands and thousands of dollars.

I am completely planning this December trip on my own and hoping that he catches a major dose of pixie dust this time and changes his views on the Mouse!

Allyson

I guess I got lugky, my DH loves WDW as much as I do. He will wake up and say let's go to Disney for the day. When I wanted to decorate our TT in Disney theme, he was all for it. same with DD room, and the spare bathroom, and all the WDW stuff all around the house. Now I have to admit I had to drag him there the first time we went, but before we left we had AP;s and were planning our next trip. Now we go at least once a month to spend the day and eat dinner (a plus for only living a little over 2 hrs away)

My DH is a total Disney freak. He started saving up for our next trip as soon as we came home in September! I really don't know who's worse. He has bought the Wishes CD, and a couple of other CD's and listens to them in the car on his way to work. What people must think if they can hear that music coming from his truck :lmao: !

First off, will you marry me?? j/k lol

My DH loves going to Disney, but only wants to go every other year or so. I think at this point he's Disney'd out. We use to go every year now its every other, since the twins came along. I think he thinks it's a hassle too, but he does have a great time when we're there. It's definitely not the money because when DH goes, we have to stay on monorail, he's not a big public transportation user, lol and there's no scrimping with him, although he doesn't squawk if I save a buck.

He would rather go fishing in Montana, cross country, Nantucket playing golf or Myrtle Beach, maybe even an Island somewhere. Me and the kids on the other hand, just can't get enough. I am going again this year with just my dd, I would go twice a year if I could.
:cool1:

As a kid growing up my parents decided to take us to WDW (then it was just MK). We kids understood it was a trip of a lifetime....as in you will never get to go again. It was too expensive. Four kids tend to cramp the wallet. Most men tend to be very business-like when it comes to things and vacation is certainly on the list of business that is money ill spent. Many men feel that vacation, while worth the process, is something to be approached practically. That is spend practically nothing. Unless the vacation is to a hunting lodge with mega deer or game and costs $4000.00 a week plus trophy fees. That can be easily justified. A week at the beach or at WDW is good money thrown into the wind. To many men Walt Disney World is a mafioso brute attempting to get every cent of cash from every patron in every way. When suggestions to stay "on site" are made that seems like another trap the mouse has set for us. Staying off site HAS to be cheaper. When one looks one finds that in many cases thi sis true. Piont easily verifed. Dad wins...suspect the mouse and all that he offers. From then on it is a game of beat the mouse approached much like dad looking to a Vegas trip and playing beat the house. Every attempt to cut costs will be made. If it sabotages the trip so be it. Another hunting trip saved. No $$ spent on frivolity. Disney is not a practical place. All practicality goes out the window when you go into the gate. Absorb that and you are what I consider to be one of the lucky people. Forget the money (to some degree). Rest assured a $20 bill does nto stand a chance in WDW. Instead focus on your childs eyes and the thrill that they see and feel when they are there. They will remember every trip and they will tie that to you. Will you have that memory tarnished by the incessant commentary on the cost of such a vacation or will you let the dreams flow and he magic take over. When I went with my kids on our first trip I did not want to go. My wife did. I felt that the kids were too young and I was looking at this as a once in a lifetime trip as my dad did. Why take them young when they may forget the trip in few years as a distant memory. I also thought we had no money to be doing such a trip. My wife won. We went on a budget. We had a blast. I now try to return as often as possible and my kids are addicted as well. There were several "things" that happened during that trip. I could go into detail but that would be long. Let's just say I found the magic and continue to go back for more.

I guessI got lucky. My DH enjoys WDW, some things more so than I do. I was a little worried about when we will get to go back (with a baby on the way) but DH suggested we take a long weekend down there soon!!! He figures that he likes the thrill rides and I just like being there (Not a fan of the thrill rides), so it would work for both of us!!! He even has preferences about accommodations and will call Central Reservations when I have HAD IT with them!!!

My DH is the BEST!!!:love:

wercruzin said:

Last but not least.. It is one huge hassle.. You pay top dollar to be hurded like cattle in the parks.. Bumped into by rude people(I quit slam dancing in the late 80's) , run over by teen agers (school groups), cursed at, pushed out of line (my child was here first), and be littled..

Yep, this is my DH. He came with me on "my" WDW trip, and did his best to not be grumpy and use his "inside his head voice" for his complaints, but he didn't have fun. He's said that if I went again, the only way he'd go is if a) we stayed somewhere with a kitchen so he could cook meals (he loves to cook and hates fighting crowds with the restaurants) and b) he would only spend ONE day in any park, and that would be Epcot.

I save part of my salary for MY Disney trips, and any money I get from garage sales, eBay, etc. I get to use for WDW vacations. His salary pays for OUR vacations, but I come up with my own money and my own traveling companions for any Disney trip.

DH's idea of a good vacation is exploring historical places, investigating cultural sites, and checking out culinary and fine arts experiences. I can't complain - he's taking me to England in June! :cool1:

I got lucky and got myself a disney loving husband too. He went as a kid every other year and remembered it so fondly that when we had kids he couldn't wait to take them. He doesn't contribute to the planning because he knows I know what he likes and will take care of it. He also likes the suprise of finding out what I have planned for him on a daily basis when we are there. He goes missing often at the resort and I have to go drag him out of the gift shop. Although I do the planning I would say he is more addicted then I am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter