Why do people smash pumpkins?

palavra

DIS Veteran
We carved our pumpkin last week. My daughter even chose a special theme for it. She wanted to put on a bench we have in the front yard that surrounds a big tree. Now, it lies in ruins on the bench. It was fresh pumpkin, so I know someone had to destroy it. I know my daughter will be so sad. (Yes, we'll get another pumpkin and put it on the porch.)

Teens think it's great fun.

We keep our pumpkins out on the deck in the back until Halloween for this very reason.

I don't know but we never carve our pumpkins until Halloween or the day before. We keep them on our deck until Halloween night and put them out. If kids smash them in the street after that, oh well. We haven't ever had our pumpkins smashed though.

Teens have nothing on the squirrels in our neighborhood. ;)

But, OP, I feel your pain. It sucks to spend hours working on a design to have it smashed.

We carved our pumpkin last week. My daughter even chose a special theme for it. She wanted to put on a bench we have in the front yard that surrounds a big tree. Now, it lies in ruins on the bench. It was fresh pumpkin, so I know someone had to destroy it. I know my daughter will be so sad. (Yes, we'll get another pumpkin and put it on the porch.)

The relatively short answer to your question is the culprit is a thoughtless, self-centered, entitled delinquent that was extremely jealous of your daughter's creativity.......or it was a REALLY big squirrel that didn't see it when they sat on your bench. :rotfl:

Seriously, I just don't get people anymore when it comes to stuff like this.

Same reason they smash mailboxes with baseball bats. They're being thoughtless, reckless and bored.

pumpkin smashing is a time honored tradition in these here parts. its almost a rite of passage into adulthood. i smashed pumpkins, my dad before me smashed pumpkins, his dad before him smashed pumpkins...god willing my kids will smash pumpkins some day

sniffle, sniffle...so hard to see them grow up, isnt it?

I don't know but we never carve our pumpkins until Halloween or the day before. We keep them on our deck until Halloween night and put them out. If kids smash them in the street after that, oh well. We haven't ever had our pumpkins smashed though.

Same here. After two days out they are moldy, smelly and starting to rot, they'd must get REALLY gross if you put them out carved over a week ahead of time.

Same here. After two days out they are moldy, smelly and starting to rot, they'd must get REALLY gross if you put them out carved over a week ahead of time.

probably depends on your weather gets into the 30/40's here in oct we can do them early and not have to worry about that..

Sorry about your pumpkin OP!

Heck I already have an UNCARVED pumpkin with mold spot and a soft top. We purchased it last Sunday, so less then a week.

My kids each painted a small pumpkin (we plan to get big ones to carve this week) and put them on the porch last week. Less than 48 hours later they all went missing. We found two laying in the yard unharmed, but found the third in the neigbors yard, 2 houses over smashed up. My dd was upset since it was hers they crushed. I asked the neighbor if she had seen our pumkins as they went missing and she said her dd(4) had been playing with one of them the day before, but didn't know where it was now. Why would she let her dd play with our pumpkin? Seriously....... I'm pretty sure my kids (incl my 4 yr old) would not take someones pumpkin, but if they did- I would make them put it back, not continue to play with it!

Every time I pass by the title of this thread I think of the band Smashing Pumpkins. Now I have one of their songs stuck in my head!

OP, sorry about your pumpkins. That's just so mean.

I hate people that smash pumpkins. What does it really accomplish but to make little kids upset?? I know our DD was crushed when her pumpkin was smashed. She was about 4 years old and had picked the pumpkin, drew the face and her daddy cut it for her. She was very proud of it. Nice that she woke up to it smashed in the middle of the street by some punk who thought it would be a fun rite of passage. :sad2: My generous neighbor woke up, saw the smashed pumpkin and brought over one of his because he knew she would be upset.

It was hard to explain to the kids, when it happened to their pumpkins a couple years back. It was a shock to them, and only kind of bearable because at least it happened on Halloween night. But it was still their hard work that ended up in pieces all over the road.

I think the hardest part for my daughter was realizing that when some people looked at her pumpkin, they didn't see a cool, nifty design and admire the person who carved it. Nope, they just thought, "Hyuk, hyuk! Pumpkin, smash! Hyuk!"

I know some people think there's nothing wrong with it, but I would be VERY upset if I ever found out that my teenagers smashed some kid's pumpkin. I don't think they'd do it, either.

Perhaps, if they caught the punk, the sentence could be "X-Box Smash" and the victims would get to do the same with perp's gaming console.

Could also work with "iPhone Smash" or "Wii Smash" or...

Perhaps, if they caught the punk, the sentence could be "X-Box Smash" and the victims would get to do the same with perp's gaming console.

Could also work with "iPhone Smash" or "Wii Smash" or...

I TOTALLY AGREE! It's the parent's fault! You should also smash the parent's iPhone too!!

Probably the same punks that have destroyed our blow up Frosty the Snowman in our front yard. Makes me FURIOUS!!! :headache: Well, NOW, we keep frosty in our family room in the corner!! The kids can enjoy it so much more inside, plus Frosty is SAFE! :goodvibes

pumpkin smashing is a time honored tradition in these here parts. its almost a rite of passage into adulthood. i smashed pumpkins, my dad before me smashed pumpkins, his dad before him smashed pumpkins...god willing my kids will smash pumpkins some day

sniffle, sniffle...so hard to see them grow up, isnt it?

I recommend moving. :sad2:

Right of passage into adulthood around here is going to college and moving out.

For outside pumpkins, I like to sit them out and then put on a nice layer of vaseline all over the pumpkins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter