Why do people sell?

GCM13

Mouseketeer
Before we make the big jump and buy into DVC, we would like to know why people are selling their points? Does anyone know?

I assume it is because their vacation habits change with age and familiarity. Some are due to a death or life change, some to divorce. Why would it matter why someone is selling if you can be the recipient? As you have probably noticed, the resales are few.

Disneydiane
mickey36.gif

Actually it is my husband who is wondering about it. He says if it is such a good deal, then why are people selling. I'm all for it, it is he who is still leary.

If you look around, there aren't that many resales available!! I've talked to a couple people who were selling their points, one sold because the wage-earner lost his job, and they owed money on the package... the other sold due to poor health conditions....

Other reasons would be divorce, death, and changing vacation plans, although I think that particular reason doesn't come up too often! I look at the resales that do come up & I see they've borrowed into next year already, they OBVIOUSLY liked the Club, but for some other reason are selling....

I say just buy, you'll be glad you did...

Reasons why:
  • A change in financial situation
  • A change in marital status
  • A change in family situation (see above); death
  • A change in vacation habits
  • An "oh my goodness, what have we done!"
  • Coming to this board and seeing some of the discussions ;)

If your concern is that there appears to be a large number of people selling and thus there must be something wrong, don't be. There are approximately 52,000 DVC members (and that counts husband and wife and other joint owners as one). The main market for resales is right now the internet. If you cruise through the sites you will likely see that there are probably 40 to 50 (and often less)resales available at any given time meaning less than .1%. That in real estate parlance is extremely low.

Actually,
I look upon the ability to sell as a plus. If you should be in a position where you do need some cash, you can sell. It is not a permanent decision. You could then buy a resale later. Will you loose out on the deal? well if your able to get a few vacations before you sell, you might come out just fine. But you never know, with right-sizing, (cough, cough) or whatever when those emergencies may happen, you have an option as a DVC owner. DVC can be turned into cash if needed. And, if needed just for one year, you can rent your points. Check out the rent board.

Just a thought. Take your time with your decision, there's no rush. You'll be all the happier once you finally decide.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I figured there had to be good reasons for people to sell!

CaptainMidnight, I noticed you're from Hilliard. We used to live there and moved to Westerville about 8 months ago.

I've never seen anyone sell because they were unhappy with DVC. Like the other postings said, it's usually a $$$$ or personal problem. Tell him to go for it,he'll never regret it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter