• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why Do People Say Things Like This

disneyfav4ever

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep
I always get comments about going to Disney solo, but I just found this one kind of rude, "You're 23 and going to WDW alone for a week. Don't you have any friends to go with? That's just depressing to me."

Don't people get that I go to Disney solo because I like too? I find the alone time very relaxing, even if my idea of "relaxing" is running around a theme park.

It's perfectly natural to be a little offended or hurt by that comment, but really it is none of that person's beeswax! If you wanted companions on your trips you'd have them...just not that person!! ;)

Enjoy yourself!! :flower3:

You should have replied "Oh, well I find it depressing that some people can only have fun with other people" :thumbsup2

You should have replied "Oh, well I find it depressing that some people can only have fun with other people"

Brilliant!

Personally, I think a solo trip would be a dream come true.

I always get comments about going to Disney solo, but I just found this one kind of rude, "You're 23 and going to WDW alone for a week. Don't you have any friends to go with? That's just depressing to me."

Don't people get that I go to Disney solo because I like too? I find the alone time very relaxing, even if my idea of "relaxing" is running around a theme park.

Good for you!!! I am 23 too and I would go by myself:yay:

My reaction would be different. Im SO jealous!
Enjoy it while you can. Maybe in another 10 yars I can slip away but myself.

You could ask them to go along or tell them you are suing Vegas for stealing your line about WDW, "What happens in Disney, stays in Disney". :rotfl:

I think its totally ok... I saw a lady a lot in January.. like 20-26 that did the parks by herself... we kept running into her a lot.. she seemed to be having a good time herself!

I think that is perfectly understandable. You can do what you want, go at your own pace. I like to be by myself often to relax..why not at Disney?:confused3

I would have to say in response, "Yes, but I go to Disney alone to get away from those friends."

I agree that it is a very rude thing to say. I think it is cool when I read about people taking solo trips to WDW. You can do what you want, when you want. Have a great time and try to forget about what rude people say. :)

I am 26 and love going to WDW solo. Sometimes my friends make comments that suggest that they think it is a little sad, but I take a breath and explain that I need "me time." I should note that the people who make the solo = sad comments usually want to invite themselves onto my trips and have me plan the trips for them. What I really want to tell them is "I prefer going by myself, because when I take you I become designated tour guide and then I don't have as much fun." I don't always go by myself. I like going with my parents and one friend of mine, since we seem to have the same Disney schedule, if you know what I mean.

Mini Rant: So I have taken a few people to WDW for their "first time" usually when we come back they tell me that they loved it. A few months later they tell me that they loved the trip and they want to do it again and bring some of their friends and let me be tour guide again, because I did such a great job. I know this is supposed to be a compliment, but honestly, I hate being tour guide. I hate the assumption that I enjoy planning a trip for several people who don't have the scheduling preferences that I do but still expect me to hold their hands the entire trip. On my last trip, I felt like I was going with a 2-year old. My friend couldn't go back to the room by herself, so when she got tired at 10PM, back to the room we went.

I need to find more commando people with which to travel.

So where was this said?:confused3

You don't need that person to validate yourself. And they're just jealous of your gutsy, independent spirit.

And your big fat honkin' wallet that let's you do this all the time! Go, girl!

Yeah, that's definitely rude.

I would absolutely love to go solo! Ride Splash Mountain over and over and over and over again. Go places I want. Eat at places I want. Go back to the room when I want. :cloud9:

Oh well, have fun!

Why do people say things like this? Because some people are idiots. ;)

I'm 23 also and I find that a lot of my friends find that Disney is too expensive when they could go other places for the same amount of time and a lot less money. Of course, most of my friends either haven't been to Disney since they were little or it's just not their thing.

Early on in my marriage, when my husband asked about my day & I said Movies, or Park or whatever, he'd say "who did you go with?" He acted like I was nuts or just lying when I said I went by myself. Now, he doesn't think anything of it. Lots of people have no concept of being happy alone. (I'll just add that DH wasn't being controlling or anything, just making conversation. Don't want anyone thinking badly of my hubbie, he's awsome!! just a lot more social than I am!!)

After my sis and niece left for their ME last Thursday, I had a few hours to blow before leaving for my own flight home. At first I thought I would just grab a bite at the resort, since it was just me. Then I thought, "Hey! It's just me. I can do whatever I want!" So I treated myself to a very nice lunch at the Brown Derby, which included lingering over dessert with coffee. Solo rocks! :goodvibes

I've only gone by myself once, but I still had a blast. I actually did 18 total attractions throughout the four parks in one day. Which is definitely easy to do when you are by yourself. When I first got there, I was a little worried about going by myself, but it ended up being great. It was definitely relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter