Why Do people Hate Minivans So Much?

I've only driven one mini-van and it was awful. It belonged to MIL and the thing just wouldn't go. I don't need a muscle car but I hated being in something that slow.

I'm weird though. I prefer cars to either mini-vans or SUV's.

I've only driven one mini-van and it was awful. It belonged to MIL and the thing just wouldn't go. I don't need a muscle car but I hated being in something that slow.

I'm weird though. I prefer cars to either mini-vans or SUV's.

I prefer cars to minivans and SUVs too.

I am in the minivan hater camp. Why?

1 - They're ugly.
2 - They're unsafe.

The reason they get 5 star crash test ratings is because they are judged on different criteria than a car is. If they were judged the same way a car is, then they would have much lower ratings.

I also hate SUV's. They're gas guzzlers, and they're unsafe too because the high center of gravity increases the chance of roll-overs.

I'll stick to regular cars.

We only went "mini-van" when we found out our third child is on the way. Although yes, you can fit three kids (two in car seats) in many cars, it is VERY cramped. Travelers complain about being wedged in on airplanes, so why would we do it intentionally to our kids every time we go somewhere?

Oh, and the previous comment about "No one NEEDS a minivan" is correct. But...
No one NEEDS to go to WDW.
No one NEEDS a smartphone.
No one NEEDS a big screen TV
etc
etc.

We get these things (minivan included) because we want them. We may enjoy them or they may make our lives easier.

As far as the "cool" factor... I gave up on attaining "coolness" in middle school... it just wasn't going to happen.

I have the same car! I say have because my 75 year old mom is rockin my '87 IROC with the 5.7 corvette engine and T-roof! She get young guys asking her about it all the time and have had so many offers to buy it :).

HAHA! Mine was a bright red '88 Iroc with the Corvette Engine and the t-tops. I loved it. Kind of wished I had kept it at this point. :)

I prefer cars to minivans and SUVs too.

I am in the minivan hater camp. Why?

1 - They're ugly.
2 - They're unsafe.

The reason they get 5 star crash test ratings is because they are judged on different criteria than a car is. If they were judged the same way a car is, then they would have much lower ratings.

I also hate SUV's. They're gas guzzlers, and they're unsafe too because the high center of gravity increases the chance of roll-overs.

I'll stick to regular cars.

Since there are many mini van drivers here would you mind posting the data that shows they are unsafe.

Everything I have ever seen says some of them are the safest vehicles out there.:confused3

Yeah me too, thats why I'd like to see the data that says they aren't safe (because I drive one). The pp said they are judged different than cars, well I guess that is because they are different than cars, why would they be judged the same :confused3

Yeah me too, thats why I'd like to see the data that says they aren't safe (because I drive one). The pp said they are judged different than cars, well I guess that is because they are different than cars, why would they be judged the same :confused3

I was thinking the same thing...(well...Not the driving one part, I don't)

They are very safe. I've owned sedans, hatchbacks, suvs and mini vans.
I will be driving a mini van until I can't drive a car anymore.
I love the ease of getting in and out of the drivers seat, storage capability, automatic sliding doors and hatchback. It's heavier than an average car. I like taking friends places and traveling long distances in it. Gas mileage is great.

Coolness has never been a factor in my choice of vehicle. Even when I was 18, I didn't care what I drove as long as it met my needs. At 50, I certainly don't care how I look in my car.

We have 1 child and are not planning on having any more. Our 4-door car suits us just fine. On the rare, rare occasion we need to shuttle people around, it's cheaper to take 2 cars than it would be to buy a bigger vehicle for those rare occasions and take on a car payment again. I don't know how the gas mileage is in them, but I average 29mpg in my car and I am satisfied with that. I also just don't care for the way minivans look. It's just personal preference. If I had 2 or more kids or large animals to transport, I might reconsider, but I would be more apt to look at getting an SUV because I like the way they look.

Oh, and the previous comment about "No one NEEDS a minivan" is correct. But...
No one NEEDS to go to WDW.
No one NEEDS a smartphone.
No one NEEDS a big screen TV
etc
etc.

:thumbsup2

Exactly. But given the financial crisis we are still in, far too many people don't pay attention to anything but their wants, not their needs, or what they can afford. And for a variety of reasons, banks and credit card companies enabled those wants. :confused3

To me a lot of minivans look like eggs on wheels. I have always disliked them. We've rented several over the years and I just don't care for them. I have a suburban and love it. Fit 8 people and pull anything and with 4 wheel drive I don't worry when were camping I know the trailer wont get stuck. Dh went car shopping last week and we have totally different tastes. He got a Nissan Maurano and I hated it. He took it back and got a car. Crossovers to me look like station wagons.

I love my MIL's minivan. It's only DH and I and I would drive her Kia Sedona with no hesitation.

I love my MIL's minivan. It's only DH and I and I would drive her Kia Sedona with no hesitation.

Minivans rock. We have a 2002 Honda Odyssey which is a great vehicle except for the ill-designed transmission that burns out at 90,000 miles. If anyone is interested in an Odyssey I suggest you research any reported tranny problems for the model year(s) you're interested in.

Minivans rock. We have a 2002 Honda Odyssey which is a great vehicle except for the ill-designed transmission that burns out 90,000 miles. If anyone is interested in an Odyssey I suggest you research any reported tranny problems for the model year(s) you're interested in.

What? :confused3

A Honda that's not perfect? :scared1:

Who knew? :lmao:

I have rented a GMC Yukon to drive to Disney in two weeks-because we needed 8 seatbelts and no rental place would guarantee a minivan that seats 8 (some Toyota Siennas do but some are 7 and there was no guarantee which I'd get).

Now, I'm sure it will be a great vehicle, new (well, way newer than anything I own) big and safe, nice...but oh my, I used the AAA gas calculator for the trip and :eek::eek::eek: GUZZLER!!! I almost fell over! I've never driven anything to Florida larger than my Astrovan (which is a V6) so lets just say, I underestimated the gas portion of my trip ;)

What I'd like to know is, why are not there any hybrid minivans sold in the US? I read that Toyota sells them in other places but not here and they get like 35 mpg. I'd be ALL over that van! I mean, the hybrid Yukons and Highlanders are close to 50K, which is like WAY more than I can spend on a car :confused:

What? :confused3

A Honda that's not perfect? :scared1:

Who knew? :lmao:

We ran into this problem, and my mileage was MUCH lower (30,000?). Honda paid half. My dad had the same problem with his Odyssey. I hear it's no longer an issue, but there were a few years with this transmission problem (I have a 2003).

We ran into this problem, and my mileage was MUCH lower (30,000?). Honda paid half. My dad had the same problem with his Odyssey. I hear it's no longer an issue, but there were a few years with this transmission problem (I have a 2003).

I know 2 people who had the same problem with their Odyssey and Honda paid for half even after the warranty was up. When the transmission went on my Windstar with only 50K miles, Ford said too bad, so sad. Their cars ma not be perfect but at least they try to take care of their customers.

I don't go for minivans. My husband stuffed me into one a few yrs ago, and I hated it. It had issues, it was very low to the ground, and I did not like the look of it. I ditched it, got another one yrs later (for my husband), which we were able to sell last yr. It barely had any miles on it, because we didn't use it. It was practically new when we sold it. I prefer a Suburban for my big fam. I feel safer in it, and it does much better in the CO. winters. The mini was like driving on ice skates any time we got a sprinkle of snow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter