Why do parents insist on bringing gifts when the invite says "No Gifts!"

I haven't a clue :confused3 who this person is, if s/he has another name on the dis. I have never seen a writing style like this. I've also never seen anyone hang around so long to keep defending themselves. I would have given up long ago. So, maybe if you know who this is, you can out them and let the rest of us know. I don't even understand why this has gone on so long. The OP doesn't want gifts at the birthday party (although again, I agree that is unusual for a young child) and people are not happy about that and giving their opinion about it..but where does all the rest of this thread come from? I guess I'm going to have to go back and actually read the whole thing. I'm confused about the cow, or the sheep, or whatever. So, no gifts unless it's a cow?

I haven't a clue :confused3 who this person is, if s/he has another name on the dis. I have never seen a writing style like this. I've also never seen anyone hang around so long to keep defending themselves. I would have given up long ago. So, maybe if you know who this is, you can out them and let the rest of us know. I don't even understand why this has gone on so long. The OP doesn't want gifts at the birthday party (although again, I agree that is unusual for a young child) and people are not happy about that and giving their opinion about it..but where does all the rest of this thread come from? I guess I'm going to have to go back and actually read the whole thing. I'm confused about the cow, or the sheep, or whatever. So, no gifts unless it's a cow?

:laughing:

You really should read the whole thread. It's pretty entertaining.

Basically, the OP said her daughter is having a 'no gift' party because they are well-to-do. To explain to everyone just how well-to-do they are, the OP told us how they are taking a trip to Switzerland this summer to take care of a cow they are leasing. :thumbsup2

:laughing:

You really should read the whole thread. It's pretty entertaining.

Basically, the OP said her daughter is having a 'no gift' party because they are well-to-do. To explain to everyone just how well-to-do they are, the OP told us how they are taking a trip to Switzerland this summer to take care of a cow they are leasing. :thumbsup2

I'm curious, can a person lease a cow in the US?

DD was told is she wanted to have a party with the girlies at The Melting Pot and be taken with a limo before having her first sleepover, it would be a NO GIFT PARTY. UNDERSTAND?

No one has to TELL a child to make a list for the December holidays we refer to as Festivus. It comes very naturally. DP and I use it to make her purchases. We tell family please no gifts, but they give them anyway. DP and I did not get DD everything on her list.

Welcome to the Jump to Conclusions game. The items that are sold for profit are sold after several months of nonplay, non use or even non-opening.

Ok, I'll bite. Didn't you state that this no gift party was your daughter's idea? She did not want gifts? Now you're telling us that she was told this would be a no gift party. It's important to keep your story straight when you tweak the yukes, you know. :teacher:

This thread has kept me entertained for days! :dance3:

OK-You are Lesbians

Which one had the baby? Or is she adopted?

I mean....we know so much about you guys already!
;)

I love how you swooped in for the kill there, Belle. You're an original too. :)

Let's get it all out on the table, right? :lmao:

And they get them. We do our part donation wise through our work with Meals on Wheels. Giving and donating is a very personal thing. We also give a gift through Heifer.org and help another family but I certainly do not need to justify how we earn our living or how we choose to donate and how much or how little to you or anyone else. Her unused gifts and unloved toys are in fact sold. We do not regift which many people have posted they have done. The money goes into DD's UGMA where she can use it how she chooses when she becomes of age.

If you want to attack a person because they sell their unloved toys on eBay, then you better start with just about everyone on DIS who has ever sold something online. We are successful because we have multiple streams of income...from DPs dance work, to my work, to investments. We truly can live like no one else because for so long we did live like no one else.

Thank you DR.

You live like no one else? Really? (I know it's just a fact, not bragging or embellishing) How wonderful for you and thank you for always mentioning it. How gracious and heartwarming. ;) But this is funny and I do love Seinfeld.

Ok, I'll bite. Didn't you state that this no gift party was your daughter's idea? She did not want gifts? Now you're telling us that she was told this would be a no gift party.
Nope never did.

FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD

DP and I are planning a limo ride to the Melting Pot for chocolate fondue for DD and six of her girl friends for her birthday. We got into a big discussion about putting No Gifts on the invitation since our child is certainly not for want.

We have been to other no gift parties and at almost every single one of them, almost every single kid but ours brings a gift. We have been told by other parents 'We just wouldn't fee right not bringing a gift.' We just respond that we like to follow the requests of the invitee.

So the question is, if the invite says no gifts do you bring no gifts? And if you do, WHY?
The we is ALL of us in this family. DD wants gifts but understands to have this party SHE WANTS MORE, she will have a NO GIFT party. Someone way upthread asked why, I explained we are leaving two weeks after the party and matter of factly said what we were doing. Facts, not bragging.

The only people being rude are the insults flung by the coocoo yukus, the ones bringing up things from other threads, the condescending tone from people I just ignore.

There have been truly disgusting references from sick minds making a party with a bunch of girlies dipping into warm melted chocolate and having their first sleepover into something very *****ney like.

I'm curious, can a person lease a cow in the US?

:confused3

You know, I've never tried. Although I do live by a few dairy farms.. but I think if I wanted to go feed the cow and take care of it, the farmers wouldn't make me pay to do it! :laughing:

very *****ney like.

I kinda, sorta thought the comment you put out there about you and your "DP" doing things in front of the web cam was a bit *****-like. It was quite shocking.

To keep the thread on topic, I don't see the big deal in requesting no gifts and I don't see the big deal in people bringing them anyway. It's not something I would get upset about either way.

I do think it's a bit mean to let a young child have a party and not let them have birthday gifts. Children usually get presents only twice a year, on Christmas (or some people celebrate Festivus) and their birthday. That's not too much, IMO. But it's always the parent's option to deny gifts.

OK-You are Lesbians

Which one had the baby? Or is she adopted?

I mean....we know so much about you guys already!
;)

I had a girl in my class who had two mommies. When anyone asked about her daddy (not knowing about her parents), she would say "I don't have a daddy, I have a donor." I love that kid!! I've become good friends with her moms. Sorry to be OT, on this thread especially, but your post reminded me of her.

Also, men can have DPs, as well.

I googled DP just to see what came up. For the longest time, I had no idea what DP stood for.

DP Acronym

Definition Dear partner
Popularity Rare
Usage
Online Chat
Description Used at the beginning of a message to your partner.

I can't find any place where it states that a man can't use DP to refer to his partner. Maybe the OP can give me a link?

DP--men use it all the time as well. I have seen straight men use it once in a while and gay men quite often. It is used by a man on the roll call for more next cruise right now.

Nope never did.

The we is ALL of us in this family. DD wants gifts but understands to have this party SHE WANTS MORE, she will have a NO GIFT party. Someone way upthread asked why, I explained we are leaving two weeks after the party and matter of factly said what we were doing. Facts, not bragging.

The only people being rude are the insults flung by the coocoo yukus, the ones bringing up things from other threads, the condescending tone from people I just ignore.

There have been truly disgusting references from sick minds making a party with a bunch of girlies dipping into warm melted chocolate and having their first sleepover into something very *****ney like.

Can you please clarify why going on a vacation (from which you will be retruning) means she cannot have gifts? I asked before but you ignored me. The gifts would still be there when she got back and she could play with them then. I truly so not see how these things relate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter